SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2005, 12:02 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Twinkle - amphibious park flyer - foam?

A few people wandering through the park flyer thread asked for a foam version of the Twinkle. Some even bought the balsa plans to go their own way for a foam version. The first "not mine" Twinkle flying was a foamie.

Anyways, I have a stack of 2mm and 3mm depron coming for other projects, but thought if there was enough interest I may make a foam version of the Twinkle plan available while I'm at it. There was consideration of the motor pyon/fin being strong enough, but thinking about it recently, it's not too hard a challenge to meet.

So, any interest in a foam version of what I think is a super little plane?

For those that never wander from the foamies, here's the links to the two parkflyer forum threads...
(there's pics and movies in the second thread)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306404
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359979

And here's a couple of pics of what's being converted...

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2005, 12:18 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
KM,

Looks like a fun one! I was just checking your thread the other day. Should make a great foamie float plane
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old May 17, 2005, 09:16 AM
Lookout, AR
Joined Aug 2004
67 Posts
I'd be interested! I bought your plans with the idea of converting to foam someday.
kzey is offline Find More Posts by kzey
Old May 17, 2005, 10:29 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,505 Posts
Sweet model. I hope that is fresh water. I can only imagine what salt water could do to an exposed outrunner.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old May 17, 2005, 12:12 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I would love to have a foam version of this plane!
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old May 17, 2005, 12:56 PM
USA, GA, Villa Rica
Joined Nov 2003
380 Posts
Hi Km,
Just got your plans on Sat with the intent to build a depron version , I will follow this thread on the progress and post mine if I get anything worthy.
Dave
qy8flyer is offline Find More Posts by qy8flyer
Old May 18, 2005, 12:43 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
pdawg... absolutely it's fresh water. The nicest way to water fly ...the motor's only been dunked once in a neighbours little pond. My fault, but nothing bad happened to any of the gear. Typically if things go for a swim, let them dry and it's fine. e.g. my USB wireless network card got wet the other day (don't ask ), but after it dried out it's fine.

As for the rest... sorry if people bought plans to make a foam one, to now find out that I'm now making a foam plan. May cut a discount off my next plan offering if it eventuates.

Still waiting on my depron (though I only ordered it saturday ). Looking forward to it, being my first foam plane and all (besides a Tensor). I've started a rehashed version of the plan in CAD to make it foamy.
Old May 18, 2005, 12:44 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qy8flyer
Hi Km,
Just got your plans on Sat with the intent to build a depron version , I will follow this thread on the progress and post mine if I get anything worthy.
Dave
Post away! ...it's what these forums are all about
Old May 18, 2005, 03:47 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
theKM, great idea! A foamy Twinkle would stand up to people who fly as bad as I do!

SSG Stahr
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old May 18, 2005, 05:55 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,606 Posts
A foam one would be a great idea! Could it use a brushed motor?
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old May 18, 2005, 08:57 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
A foam version? You bet. A sweet eyefull to be sure. A foamie could be nice as well.
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old May 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
USA, GA, Villa Rica
Joined Nov 2003
380 Posts
Here is my attempt at building a foam version. I started this from the plans on Thurs at around 6 pm. Just took it for a test fly around the lake and she flys great.
I have many photos if anyone is interested in the build process. The hull/fuse is solid foam block. Makes for a watertight ship. Wing is 2mm depron folded to form airfoil.
DIY cdrom motor. Very fast, havent even tryed full throttle.
Dave
qy8flyer is offline Find More Posts by qy8flyer
Old May 22, 2005, 03:48 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092
A foam one would be a great idea! Could it use a brushed motor?
one of the guys on the balsa version thread is going to try brushed, but I don't think he's started the build as yet. The challenges are thrust for the size of the prop (6.5" prop or less), and maintaining the thrust line.
Old May 22, 2005, 03:56 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qy8flyer
Here is my attempt at building a foam version. I started this from the plans on Thurs at around 6 pm. Just took it for a test fly around the lake and she flys great.
I have many photos if anyone is interested in the build process. The hull/fuse is solid foam block. Makes for a watertight ship. Wing is 2mm depron folded to form airfoil.
DIY cdrom motor. Very fast, havent even tryed full throttle.
Dave
That's fantastic! ...the second "not mine" Twinkle takes to the sky (4th overall)

Also glad to hear it flew well. Post some more pics, I wouldn't mind seeing them. Especially if you have water shots

What did the flying weight end up being?

...you've read my mind (or I read yours ) regarding the wing, I have 2mm depron for it also. The foam plan should be workable for 2mm or 3mm depron. 3mm for the fuse. I'm just waiting on glue, that should arrive tomorrow before I start a foam one. But then tuesday I have to run out of the country on business, so I wont get to touch it for over a week.

...ah, that's just cool. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to think there's now other people enjoying the design.

Going to put landing gear blocks in it, so it's amphibious?
Old May 22, 2005, 04:47 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Dave... I don't know how much flying you had with it yesterday, but I'm really needing a more wordy flight report.

...general behavior, etc etc. I'm just so curious about the little idiosyncrasies that made my two an absolute hoot to fly.