HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2005, 11:45 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Slow Stick Maiden Flights...um...crashes (video)

This is dedicated to RubyChild, who recently had a not so successful maiden flight of his Tiger Moth. Don't give up! At least you didn't have the camera mounted to the crashing plane!

PS. Be sure your speakers are on...it just isn't the same without the sounds.

http://www.matthewchase.com/personal...StickCrash.wmv (5mb)

I believe I was tail heavy (had the servos mounted at the rear), and also think my servo mount was not firmly attached so moving the controls had very little effect. I made adjustements the next day and was able to get it in the air for a bit longer...mostly controlled. No, I'm not posting that one!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2005, 12:00 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,551 Posts
Very impressive! I liked the slo-mo especially! Details on the camera? It seems to have survived!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 17, 2005, 12:02 AM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
I crashed my SS because it was grossly underpowered and the wind caught me and I couldnt get back. I cant believe you didnt CG the thing. Its doing tite loops...LOL Good Video though.
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
Old May 17, 2005, 12:39 AM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
LOL! That's great!
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se
Old May 17, 2005, 12:47 AM
Bethel Park, PA
Joined Mar 2004
268 Posts
Cool video. Nice loops I would say that it was definitly tail heavy. That reminds me of several of my first SS flights.
mikez104 is offline Find More Posts by mikez104
Old May 17, 2005, 01:21 AM
Montreal Dorval, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
172 Posts
Wow, this is so hilarious! Especially take 3 when the plane seems to loop real fast and land upside down! Thanks for sharing this!

What's your video setup? Myself I own a cheap $60 spy cam kit from eBay and tried a couple time filming from the Slo-V. Image is nice but reception is awful. I improved the setup with a better antenna on the receiver but its still not giving me more than 5-10 seconds of video at a time...

.fs.
rubychild is offline Find More Posts by rubychild
Old May 17, 2005, 09:32 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Glad you guys enjoyed this! It sucked but was kind of funny to see it happen too. The SS is the first plane I've had to build, my other two came mostly assembled and I just had to put the wings on. So my build wasn't quite perfect, which I expected. I did check my CoG and it was about 1" behind where I have read it should be, and thought that was close enough. I was wrong, and have also since learned that being a bit front heavy is okay, but being a bit tail heavy is a bad thing. The CoG is now right on so it actually flies forward now.

I used to have one of those really cheap 1.2ghz cameras, I think I paid $55 for mine. I don't think I will ever use it again, I was getting maybe 30 feet out of it before losing the signal. Now I have is a 2.4ghz kit from Helihobby.com. It was $110 and works okay, I was only getting a couple of hundred feet with the rubber antenna it came with, upgraded to a 6dBi directional antenna and it works a lot better. I just got a 14dBi directional antenna that I was using when I did this last round of videos, but didn't really get a chance to test it out much. I will take a picture of my setup next time I am out using it, and hopefully will be able to report how well the 14dBi antenna works (or doesn't). I record directly into my laptop using a USB video capture device. I get close to 30fps out of it, and very few dropped frames from the laptop itself (the camera sometimes drops out if I get a tad too far away), so the video usually turns out pretty good.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old May 17, 2005, 09:47 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Awww Gheez! That hurt me deeply inside, but I couldn't help but laugh!

Crash #1 looked survivable, but Crash #2 and #3 looked like something HAD to break.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61