SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2005, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
82 Posts
Throttle Control for both ESC and Flaps on Futaba 8U

I'd like to program the pmix's on my Futaba 8UAF so that with the trigger switch I can activate Ch 3 to operate the esc (only) as normal for throttle control. Then, when I let go of the trigger switch I'd like to have Ch 3 operate the Airbrakes (Crow), without the motor starting back up.

Anybody done this? If so, would you mind sharing the setup? TIA

Mike
chem1 is offline Find More Posts by chem1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2005, 03:05 PM
Slope Junkie
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Sep 2004
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chem1
I'd like to program the pmix's on my Futaba 8UAF so that with the trigger switch I can activate Ch 3 to operate the esc (only) as normal for throttle control. Then, when I let go of the trigger switch I'd like to have Ch 3 operate the Airbrakes (Crow), without the motor starting back up.

Anybody done this? If so, would you mind sharing the setup? TIA

Mike
Mike

Yeah, I tried something similar. I put the selection between throttle and crow on switch A. Switch A up, throttle stick normal, ESC control. Switch A down, throttle stick for crow, ESC disabled. Bottom line: I hated it and worried about it being unsafe. It violates the KISS principle.

As the guys in the High Performance forum will tell you, the best thing to do is put the ESC on an unused channel (not 3) and map the function to the spring loaded trainer switch, so you go to full throttle when you pull the switch toward you. When you let go of the switch, it kills the throttle.

This leaves the throttle stick dedicated to crow/airbrake approach control only. I am running all of my electric powered sailplanes this way, including a B50 powered hotliner, and I really like it. It was very easy to get used to.

I can tell you how to do this if you are interested.

Scott
Dolphinman is offline Find More Posts by Dolphinman
Old May 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphinman

I can tell you how to do this if you are interested.

Scott
Scott,

Thanks for responding. I'm interested in both set ups actually. I hadn't thought of the safety issue. My aim was to avoid the possibly of damaging the gear box on going from 0 to 100% with the flip of a switch. I share your philosophy on the KISS prinicple but I guess I'd like to try them both and then decide. Besides, I might actually learn more about the programming capabilities of the Tx. Right now I feel like the last "S" in the prinicple! Feel free to send a pm.

Mike
chem1 is offline Find More Posts by chem1