SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2005, 03:43 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
First Flight today.

Last Thursday I bought my first RC plane, an EasyStar. It went together easy. The only thing I had to "correct" was reversing the elevator servo via the switch on the back of the transmitter. I had the day off work today so I decided to head to the local park. When I got there was a little bit in the way of wind, maybe 10 mph gusting a little higher at time. Not ideal for first flight conditions but I so rarley have time off I have to take what I get sometimes. I was in a valley and the trees surrounding the field did a pretty good job of blocking the majority of the wind. I was a little hesitant but decided finally, "what the heck!".

I gave everything a once over...twice. I then proceed to give it a launch. It flew straight away with just a little bit of climb, pretty much as anticipated. I ended up flying a big circle and bring it back to about 20 feet from my position to a decent belly landing. Total flight time about 1 min. Woo hoo!!

Of course I couldn't stop there. I gave it a look over again and launched it the second time. It flew downrange a few hundred feet and then I turned to start being it back to me. The plane was up about tree top level (50ft?) when I initiated the turn. It got blown around a little but I was able to get it back to the calmerer air w/o too much stress (well maybe just a bit ). I decided to go for two circles of the field this time. The second time around I noticed I was getting a little closer to the trees so I tightened up my turn a little. I had reduced power for the downwind leg and had forgotten to add a little power to complete the turn w/o losing too much altitude. It went down a little harder this landing. It hit at about a 45 degree angle right on the bottom portion on the nose. The canopy popped off and I did "tweak" the nose a little. The canopy doesn't want to seat down quite right now. Is there a way to gently "pull" the nose back out a little to get the canopy/nose area squared up again? I pulled on it a little (gently) and it clips on again but it's just a little out of true.

I'll post a picture later maybe that would help.

Overall It was pretty fun. I was kind of nervous as well I hope to give it a try again soon but this time I'll try to find a time with less wind.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2005, 03:50 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden and welcome to RC groups. I don't know what to tell you about straightening the nose. The good thing is that with each successive flight you get more confidence and control. The plane will seem to fly slower than the first flight you had, that's just a combination of you being relaxed and your reflexes being quicker. Before long the wind will be one of your better friends...seriously.
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old May 16, 2005, 08:28 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
Hi Ohio and also welcome to RCgroups.

My friend also learned to fly on the EasyStar (last year) and is now a very good pilot. It appears that the canopy is actually a "crash meter" that is built into the plane to measure how hard the nose of the plane hits the ground. The harder the plane lands (i.e. crashes), the higher the canopy will sit on the fuselage. lol

Congrats on your maiden and enjoy your EasyStar.

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive