Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 15, 2005, 09:54 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
Combat Plane Building Session

It looks like Tuesday night we will have another building session for electric Combat planes. I volunteered my garage, foam cutting system, band and jig saws, dremel routers, and sander to make the work go easier.

If you are interested let me know via email. I will have foam on hand but you would need to bring a couple of things with you like 1/8" birch ply and a sheet of 3/32 medium hard balsa.

I have templates for the KI61, P40, Miles M20 and Hellcat. We will be laying out a ME109 and creating templates to cut it.

We'll start at 7pm and go till 10. My home is in Alpharetta, about 5 miles east of 400.

When we finish you will have a set of wing cores, a fuselage, and balsa tail feathers and ailerons. We'll be showing those who attend how to layout a design, cut it and build it. I can be reached by emailing LMelancon @ IKON dot Com or GeorgiaCombat @ Yahoo dot com. My office number direct is 770-326-1415 and my cell is 770-241-6001, call if you plan on coming so I can tell you what you need to bring.
LouMelancon is offline Find More Posts by LouMelancon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2005, 11:08 AM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Thanks!

My thanks to Lou for hosting and guiding us through the process. Good to meet Bill and Rockwell. No small animals were injured and very little foam was killed.

Joe
Joe_Atlanta is offline Find More Posts by Joe_Atlanta
Old May 18, 2005, 05:16 PM
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Nov 2003
517 Posts
Diddo Thanks

I agree - it was lot of fun seeing how the hot wire bow works to cut the foam. I can't believe we were able to knock out 4-5 planes so quickly with the assembly line.. can't wait to see em all finished!

Rockwell
Rockwell is offline Find More Posts by Rockwell
Old May 19, 2005, 08:10 PM
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
The next time we have a building session we will be able to double the production now that Rockwell, Eric and Joe know the steps. When you can assign a group to each assembly the work goes much faster.

Guys I had a great time and hope we can really have some flying combat this summer. Best regards, Lou.
Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
Installed a wireless router this week so no my laptop can be out in the garage workshop.

Chris Dover is coming over to cut out Spitfires. I swore I would never do the Spitfire because of the difficulty with the wing. I think I've got the process simplified and will post photos on GeorgiaCombat later today.

A Spitfire sure is a pretty airplane. We are doing the MK9C. Should get four or five cut out this afternoon and might be able to get one flying for the Cobb County Club expo combat next weekend. Just need to make a financial investment in Castle Creations to get the return on investment for speed controllers a little more in line with the ole family budget.
Old Jun 04, 2005, 03:09 PM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMelancon
A Spitfire sure is a pretty airplane.
[HomerSimpsonVoiceON]
OOOOOOOOH Spitfires, DIBS!
[HSVOFF]

Joe
Old Jun 04, 2005, 06:31 PM
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
Joe,
One has your name on it. The complete diary of the day can be found on the electric page of www.georgiacombat.com. We cut out five and did all the parts for two. I have to do the tailfeathers, ailerons, and cut the fuselages out for the remaining three. Here is what one looked like at the end of the day:
Old Jun 07, 2005, 09:34 PM
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
Chris Dover finished his first Spitfire this evening. Here is his first one:
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:17 AM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Arrrrgh, Ugly Tape

Well, the tape job on my Miles (which wasn't all that pretty to begin with) took a turn for the worse yesterday. Another Stone Mtn. RC flyer and I did a couple of hours demo of RC flight at noon for an Atlanta area Scout jamboree at Oglethorpe U.

Two hours baking in the hot sun caused dozens of large air bubbles to develope under the tape. A few passes with a heat gun only made them worse. I ended up using a needle to pierce the tape to allow the air to escape as I ironed the tape back down. Try as I may, I end up with a bunch of wrinkles that won't go away.

Yes, I had misted the wing well with adhesive before taping. I can only think that the 24 hours I allowed the acrylic paint to dry wasn't enough. Although a messy process, glassing is starting to look like a better solution to covering and strengthening the foam.

Joe
Last edited by Joe_Atlanta; Jun 15, 2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 01:18 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
I was out test gliding the P51 that Lou gave me yesterday. I did not realize that the bottom of the wing was not covered, only painted. Well when I got back inside the dew from my lawn caused most of the paint to come off. Oh well. I was liking the paint job on it too. I guess I will cover it to night with colored packaging tape.

Kevin
aV8ter is offline Find More Posts by aV8ter
Old Jun 15, 2005, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
Joe and Kevin,
The best tape I've found is the very thin clear tape. It is about 109 yards per roll. The thicker and more common tape is 55 yds per roll.

Kevin, I didn't know that paint was water soluble, sorry about that.

Joe, wrinkles add a certain degree of distinction to an otherwise normal plane. I know they are all over my distinct face.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 09:16 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
It is not a big deal. I build a battery, removed the twist in the tail,and I recovered it in red and black this afternoon, looks pretty good.
Joe, what power set up are you using?

Kevin
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:52 AM
this space available
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2004
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8ter
Joe, what power set up are you using?
BP brushed 350 w/ C gearing. Essentially a slightly "hot" 350, currently out of stock. Pretty much the same results from a B geared GWS 350. I prop it with a GWS SF 9x7 or APC E 9x6 (the APC seemes a better choice with almost the same performance and lower amp draw, but they are two to three times the price.) 2S lipos in the 850 - 1000 mah range help offset the heavier weight of the brushed motors versus the CD Rom motors with 1350 packs.

This setup gives me "scale like" performance that seems on par with the slower planes I saw at the Dixie Nats. With the lower drag of the Mustang you might want to go up to an A gearing to turn a smaller, faster prop.

I've found very good prices on GWS motors and gearboxes at http://www.balsapr.com/ . They also have an inexpensive ($13) Blue Arrrow brushed 10 amp ESC that works with 2S lipos. I've got a few hours of flying time on mine and it seems smooth and it hit the cutoff voltage right on the nose. And of course they have the BP21 brushless motor and motor/esc combo which seems to be least expensive way to get into brushless for these warbirds.

Joe
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2001
203 Posts
I finally finished the eSpitfire for Combat. It is made from blue foam, is covered with 3/4 ounce glass cloth then painted with Krylon H2O latex tan and green (colors aren't scale). Markings printed on laser printer then cut out and stuck on with glue stick. Uses Custom CDR single stator speed wind motor; TP 2 cell 1,320 Mah pack, Hitec 555 rcvr with shulman antenna, three 9 gram no name servos. All up weight is 13 ounces on 32" span.

The motor draws 12 amps and this way to much. After talking to Bernie about limiting the rpms to 8,000 on an APC 7X4 we programmed the Castle ESC to Governor Mode Low and set the ATV to give 8K rpms which is about 6.8 amps. Works nice, so well that I went back and programmed the Hellcat the same way.

Here it is:
Old Jun 17, 2005, 09:19 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Sep 2004
460 Posts
Looks great Lou! I will call you tomorrow if I am going out! We could carpool.

Kevin