HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2005, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2004
276 Posts
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winter
Thanks.. I also noticed you have the underbelly details. Any problems with them getting pulled off during belly landings?
Nothing ripped off yet. One of the radiators came unglued in one side, but thats no big deal. I do keep loosing my cannons during landings. I think i will create a breakaway mount for them out of fuel tubing.
spacemanspiff is offline Find More Posts by spacemanspiff
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2005, 04:37 PM
'Riders fan.
Vancouver, British Columbia
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
I'll probably leave mine off. The glassing and painting has probably added enough weight that the details need to be left off now anyway.
David Winter is offline Find More Posts by David Winter
Old May 20, 2005, 08:56 PM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
some more painting progress pictures.

Image 1 shows the fuselage masked (again using kit supplied bags) and the black stripes of the invasion markings have been painted.

Image 2 shows the completed base painting. At the time of the photo, the model has no power plant, RC electronic, push rods or other control linkages. Weight right now is 239grams. It would have been much less if I'd started with an unpainted model.

Note: Painting Invasion Stripes = Hard
Old May 20, 2005, 09:05 PM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
spacemanspiff: Do you have a link or source for those decals? Google isn't showing anything relevant. Thanks.
Old May 20, 2005, 09:35 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
501 Posts
Thats going to be a beautiful Spitfire when your finished Spiff!!!
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old May 20, 2005, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2004
276 Posts
Quote:
spacemanspiff: Do you have a link or source for those decals? Google isn't showing anything relevant. Thanks.
Sorry. I misstyped. Its major decals
http://www.hobbypeople.net/mfr/majdec01.asp
Old May 20, 2005, 09:59 PM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
What the heck happend there!?!?!? All my attached images are now thumbnails...

Thanks for the information on the decals. Is it the .60 or .40 version? I would assume the .40?

http://www.greathobbies.com/scart/pr...Number=MAJ240P
Old May 20, 2005, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2004
276 Posts
Quote:
What the heck happend there!?!?!? All my attached images are now thumbnails...

Thanks for the information on the decals. Is it the .60 or .40 version? I would assume the .40?

http://www.greathobbies.com/scart/pr...Number=MAJ240P
Same here, thumbnails! No, get the 1/12 scale set. Look around, there are other retailers online who carry the brand.
Old May 21, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Having used those decals on a WWI Warbird I can attest they far outclass the stock GWS ones.

Aside from the occasional lost radiator it’s also been written the stock “details” are very draggy in the air. Especially if you open the front of the radiators up. That said somehow a Spit just does not look right to me without them.

Quote:
Oh.. and if anyone has any idea of the purpose of invasion stripes I'd like to hear it. It seems strange to me that you'd take a low visibility aircraft and paint big, bold, black & white stripes on it.. might as well paint it pink with a big target on the wings.
Did someone say PINK?

My father’s life long friend was an anti-aircraft gunner during the 2nd world war European theater. He will attest to a “shoot first and ask questions later” mentality employed. Many units also did not have proper identification for the gunners to make a visual friend or foe.

So with a dash of “rose” colored paint the recon Mossys and Spits were born! No longer did the allied gunners have an excuse to shoot one of these down!

Great thread!

Tommy
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old May 21, 2005, 12:09 AM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
Same here, thumbnails! No, get the 1/12 scale set. Look around, there are other retailers online who carry the brand.

Well I've hunted around. Looks like only the .60 and .40 are available. The .40 has 5.25 inch wing roundels. I need about 3.5(ish) inch..... hmm might be making my own.

David
Old May 21, 2005, 06:53 AM
Joined Aug 2004
276 Posts
Quote:
Well I've hunted around. Looks like only the .60 and .40 are available. The .40 has 5.25 inch wing roundels. I need about 3.5(ish) inch..... hmm might be making my own.

David
Here is the manufacturer. They do sell them by mail.

http://www.majordecals.com/

cheers,
J
Old May 23, 2005, 07:42 PM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
To continue with the build the next step are markings.

I've selected the aircraft of James E. "Johnny" Johnson, Commanding Officer of 144 RCAF Squadron. "Johnny" was the highest Spitfire Ace of WWII with 38 recorded victories. The aircraft modelled was the last one he flew during the war and he recorded 8 kills in this aircraft. I'm not sure if this is coinincidence or as commanding officer he could code his own aircraft, but the aircraft codes are JE-J (has are his initials).

As stated earlier in the thread, the kit supplied markings are more or less correct for the earlier European theater schemes but they're not going to work for the aircraft being modelled. They're also the wrong blue.

According to others in this thread there are available markings in 1:12 scale from Major Decals however no available online sources could be found and nobody local carries them. So it's on to plan B.. making ones own.

Making your own decals is fairly easy really. You'll need the following supplies.

- Avery Sticker Paper (03383) white full sheet. Make sure it's the coated stuff. The uncoated label paper doesn't give true colour.
- An inkjet printer
- The same clear polycrylic used to glass the model.
- A foam brush.
- 3M photo adhesive spray.
- A quality image editor such as PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro.

I used references for the RAF roundels found from this source; RAF Roundel in Detail. The colours are pretty close to accurate but they can be adjusted with your image editor.

This post isn't going to go through the process of adjusting the image size or colour for printing. That could be a thread in it's own right.

Once you've test printed your decals for size, sent your printer to high quality and print your markings on a sheet of the Avery Sticker paper. The paper is very thin, has a reasonable adhesive, produces excellent colour, and doesn't smudge if damp (Very important).

With your decal printed, let the sheet dry for 10 to 15 minutes. Then using your foam brush apply a very thin coat of the polycrylic. If you wish to thin the polycrylic down considerably, an airbrush produces great results and doesn't leave brush marks. The polycrylic will give the decal the glossy shine and protection it needs.

Let the polycrylic dry about 2 and a half hours.

Cut the decals out from the sheet and remove the backing. Although the decal has a sticky back you may wish to use the 3M photo adhesive to improve this. Once the decal is on the model though, you're not going to be able to move it.
Last edited by David Winter; May 23, 2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 23, 2005, 08:24 PM
Uh Oh Jungo
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2003
773 Posts
David,

Excellent work. Glad to see it's coming along so nicely.

Jeff
ParkJeff is offline Find More Posts by ParkJeff
Old May 23, 2005, 10:48 PM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
Here are three images of the model with all markings applied. No RC gear and no power system are in place yet. Current weight is 243 grams.

The underwing roundels are the same as those on the sides of the fuselage without the yellow outline. The Sqd code colours are a bit of a mystery on this aircraft. Some sources claim they're sky green (the same colour as the rear fuselage band and spinner) Other sources claim they're light sea grey (similar to undersurface colour). I've gone with the later as it seems that more aircraft used the grey and it's more likely that this aircraft had the grey as well.

I think the camera is doing strange things to the colours. They are much closer in accuracy than these photos seem to show.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the cockpit yet. When building my Corsair I created a detailed cockpit out of paper.

Hopefully the power system will arrive this week and it will be ready for a maiden soon.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:27 PM
'Riders fan.
Joined Mar 2004
1,165 Posts
A couple more photos, taken indoors, to try and show correct colours. I think these do a better job of showing the model colours.