HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2005, 05:32 PM
I just can't wait !
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
401 gyro heating up Phoenix 35 ????

Trying to install a used 401 gyro today on my x400 but every time it is powered up the Phoenix 35 controller gets very hot?

I am using for 56 servos, if x400 is turned on with no servo connected into the gyro there's no problem as soon as tail servo is plugged in to the gyro speed control temperature go,s up immediately. Tried using a different servo same problem all endpoints are turned way down so no servo is maxed out.

Just trying to figure out for sure if it's the gyros any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis
zmonte is offline Find More Posts by zmonte
Last edited by zmonte; May 15, 2005 at 06:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2005, 06:50 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Sounds like a bad gyro, or you are plugging the servos into the gyro the wrong way, or the gyro is into the receiver the wrong way. The white wire on the gyro should match up with the yellow on the servo. Also be sure the positive and negative are in the correct spot.
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old May 15, 2005, 08:01 PM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
Bad CC35 or a bad servo? You said 4 servo's and a gyro (+ rx) right?
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra
Old May 15, 2005, 08:25 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2 Posts
make sure that the gyro is not switched to ds. unless you do have a digital servo on the tail. having it on and not haveing a digi will toast the servo and the esc gets freakin hot. I toasted a servo doing it.
mradair is offline Find More Posts by mradair
Old May 15, 2005, 08:31 PM
Day by day...
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2004
634 Posts
Try moving the ESC further away from the 401. When initializing, if the ESC is too close to the gyro it can't correctly calibrate the 'home' position. The ESC generates enough electrical noise to offset the gyro.

When that happens, the gyro will continuously try to move the servo to correct the position, and it most often sends the servo to an end point, binds the linkage and stays there.

If, when the gyro finishes initializing after plugging in the battery, you see the servo creeping to one side, unplug the battery. It will indeed damage the ESC and/or the servo.

If you try moving the ESC AFTER plugging in the battery, it won't help. The gyro is already calibrated incorrectly.

Please let me know if this is indeed the case, as I have seen it too many times to count.
LoopZilla is offline Find More Posts by LoopZilla
Old May 15, 2005, 08:47 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Dennis, We plugged in just the gyro and no heat, than we plugged in just the servo and no heat. Than we plugged in the gyro and servo, we got major heat. It proves to be the output section of the gyro, I'd call Futaba on it.

Howard
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old May 15, 2005, 08:52 PM
I just can't wait !
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
mradair,thank you very much! That was it man those switches are tiny I had to use a magnifying lens ran it a long time and the speed control didn't get over 110 :-)

There's no light on that gyro correct?

[Q? UOTE=mradair]make sure that the gyro is not switched to ds. unless you do have a digital servo on the tail. having it on and not haveing a digi will toast the servo and the esc gets freakin hot. I toasted a servo doing it.[/QUOTE]
Old May 15, 2005, 09:06 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Dennis cool, next time bring ALL the instructions.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:12 PM
I just can't wait !
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy
Dennis cool, next time bring ALL the instructions.

Exactly
Old May 15, 2005, 09:51 PM
I just can't wait !
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mradair
make sure that the gyro is not switched to ds. unless you do have a digital servo on the tail. having it on and not haveing a digi will toast the servo and the esc gets freakin hot. I toasted a servo doing it.

Is there anyway it could have tosted my receiver now the collective servo does not respond but when I try the servo in a different set up its fine it just seems like it's not getting a signal now just stop communicating all of a sudden brand new hs-56? It's like whatever was telling that servo to move up with the throttle stop telling it, bBecause the servo works.?
Last edited by zmonte; May 15, 2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old May 15, 2005, 10:55 PM
I just can't wait !
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
It was just binding in the collective lever causing I guess the servo to stole.
Old May 16, 2005, 05:41 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Oh the joy of being a heli owner.