HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2005, 04:36 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
New R/C Book – With an in-depth 3-D section!

Hello all,

Just a quick note to let you know about a new book that just hit the market about two weeks ago. It is titled “The Pilot’s Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled Flight”. There have been threads in other forums, but none here, so I figured I’d formally announce it here in the 3-D forum as well (as it has an in-depth 3-D section!).

Initially, my goal was only to outline a few hints and tips that I could pass along to my friends. What I ended up with is a 230-page book titled “The Pilot’s Guide to Mastering Radio Controlled Flight”. It covers many different aspects of R/C flight including an in-depth examination of primary training, precision aerobatics, and 3-D flight. Along with the text, I decided to include as many helpful diagrams (over 100 diagrams!) as possible showing precise stick placement and model positioning during each maneuver. Incorporated into the book is my 20+ years of R/C modeling experience as well as over 17 years of full-scale professional aviation experience including flight instruction, airline flying, and competitive aerobatic flight.

While initially envisioned as a tool for the new pilot, I expanded the book to include an in-depth analysis of precision aerobatics and 3-D flight. This book offers not only a solid and informative review of R/C basics (something that we all need to brush up on from time to time), but also offers advanced techniques for the more experienced pilots in our midst.

While many of you here in the 3-D forum will be interested in the 3-D section, I would encourage you to expand your comprehension and skills flying precision aerobatics, as the best 3-D pilots in the world were all accomplished at precision aerobatics first. I would offer that the skills learned flying precision aerobatics will only improve your 3-D flying.

Here’s what a couple of reviewers have said about the book…

"This is a must read for every R/C enthusiast!" - Matt Chapman World-Class Airshow Pilot

"Informative, comprehensive…Highly recommended.” - George Hicks 1st ETOC 2004

"What an incredible book!" - Scott Foster - 1st Place ETOC 2005

Click here for more reviews.

Click here for some sample diagrams and text.

For a full look at the book and for purchasing information, check out my site at www.rcpilotguide.com .

As always, thanks to RCGroups for allowing us little guys to announce and support products here on the Ezone. I certainly appreciate it, as I'm sure we all do.

Thanks for your time and my best to all of you,

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Last edited by sukhoi26mx; May 15, 2005 at 08:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2005, 06:31 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Here is a sample diagram showing not only model position, but also stick positions. More importantly, however, I also cover all of the aerodynamics and theory behind the manevuers, as to really fly it well you need to understand the "why" in addition to the "how". For instance the diagram can't really show the pulsing of the throtte required to get a really tight waterfall. When you combine the text with the diagrams I think you have a very effective learning tool.

Scott
Last edited by sukhoi26mx; May 15, 2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 15, 2005, 07:42 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Mine came in short order. Though I fly Mode-1, the book has many useful ideas and explanations. Well written, easy to understand. Don't go flying without it.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old May 15, 2005, 08:07 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
I got mine, Scott. I think this one is destined to be a timeless classic as there's nothing in it that will become obsolete. Well done! Mine has been in my backpack since I got it last week and I expect an autograph inside the front cover next time you're in San Diego!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 15, 2005, 08:12 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Mode, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Mark, consider it done... and thanks. I'll have to make a special trip I'll be flying Sao Paolo and Buenos Aires this month and next (leaving on a trip right now, actually, man I hope the internet connection in the hotel is working this week!), but you never know where I will end up. Thanks, Mark.

Scott
Old May 15, 2005, 09:20 PM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2005
1,596 Posts
Scott

Is this mode 1 or 2? You're American, right?

bob
steelgtr is offline Find More Posts by steelgtr
Old May 16, 2005, 05:04 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,142 Posts
I will answer for Scott since he's on his way to Buenos Aires right now. The stick positions shown in the book are Mode 2. (And Scott is born and raised in the good ole US of A, but flies a Russian plane so we've got our eye on him.)

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old May 16, 2005, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
I have a goofball Argentinian friend who calls the capital 'Malos Aires' (bad air).

Bill(oldcoot)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old May 16, 2005, 04:15 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse
I will answer for Scott since he's on his way to Buenos Aires right now. The stick positions shown in the book are Mode 2. (And Scott is born and raised in the good ole US of A, but flies a Russian plane so we've got our eye on him.)

Neil
Thanks Neil... Beunos Aires is really cold this week... but the wine is still good

Bill- that sounds about right... clear air today though.

Scott
Old May 18, 2005, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Hey Scott,

Just curious, are you ex-military? It's really remarkable that one person can be not just accomplished, but masterful in so many aspects of aviation - RC, f/s aerobatics, and f/s heavy jets at once.

Bill(oc)
Old May 18, 2005, 03:08 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Hi Bill,

WOW. Masterful To be honest, aviation is kind of like a sickness. Once you catch it, it can be pretty hard to get rid of. I am not ex-military. At 31 years old, I'd still be in the military with couple of years to go and I've already been at United for 10 years. I longed to fly in the military when I was younger, but the Cliton's and the downsizing of our military precluded that unless you were an Academy grad. I have basically been extremely fortunate to have a mentor in my father and a true passion for airplanes. Thanks for the compliment.

Scott
Old May 18, 2005, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Tarnation, Scott. I got grandkids *almost* 31.<g To amass a resume such as yours at such a tender age is all the more 'masterful', i'd say. And add to that, successful author.

Bill(oc)
Old May 24, 2005, 01:29 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sheppard
Tarnation, Scott. I got grandkids *almost* 31.<g To amass a resume such as yours at such a tender age is all the more 'masterful', i'd say. And add to that, successful author.

Bill(oc)
Thanks, Bill... just doing what I love. As far as the successful author thing, time will tell. The response from not only vendors, but more importantly, customers, has been tremendous. So far, I am extremely pleased at how well the book has been received. Thanks again!

Scott