HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Jim McPherson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 07:36 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Looking for dead CD ROM (36x or faster)

Yes this is E-Flight related. I want to pull the motor out and rewind it to fly a small helicopter. If anybody has a dead fastish cdrom that they'd be willing to sell please let me know. Thanks.
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2002, 08:10 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
I bet almost any independant computer shop would have a couple of these they'd give you.
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Trader Rating: 151
I have a 40X that no longer reads CDs that you can have. You can just pay the shipping costs from Foxboro, MA. Send me an email if you still need one.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:41 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Foxboro WOW, I'm in New Bedford. I didn't know there where any people here on the E-Zone so close.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Apr 11, 2002, 06:01 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
What are you getting out of the drive?

I know it cant be the Mabuchi N20 (I have stripped them out of numerous drives) Is it the thin CD spinner motor? Let us in on the secret That spinner motor is right on the board!
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Apr 11, 2002, 06:16 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2000
87 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
There's a thread on the Ikarus board on how some people have modified the CDROM drive brushless motors for use in the piccolo...From what I've heard, it takes a bit of work to modify the winding but is supposed to work quite well -comparable to the astro 010.
tqpham is offline Find More Posts by tqpham
Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:14 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Foxboro WOW, I'm in New Bedford. I didn't know there where any people here on the E-Zone so close.
I see more and more people from our area every day!!

tqpham,
Could you post a link to that thread or site?
Thanks-
Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:25 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
here is one thread from the ikarus site. There are more threads here on ezone about the cdrom motors.

http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/ubb/u...c;f=1;t=007156
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:58 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Thanks for the link Spaulding. I'll check here too.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:14 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,948 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Here Ye Here Ye

Anyone pasted pics of this motor controller set up?? How about a thread link for getting into the nitty gritty.

I have a source for them in limited quantities but am interested to see where you have gone with these. I am interested in applying this to airplanes though . . . phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Apr 12, 2002, 09:27 AM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Jan 2001
867 Posts
Jim,

I may can get you some drives. I know several people in the computer industry and will make some calls. It may be that not all motors are what we need so getting several drives to you may help "us" out.

To all of ezone: Jim is VERY strong with respect to electrical ability. Thus, I suggest if you are interested in learning how to modify these motors for our use we contact Jim and give him drives if he will report his results. If I find any Jim I'll pay to send them to you. This project will benifit all of us!

John
johntbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johntbyrne
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:42 AM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
I have been following this subject for a while as I used to own a piccolo. I think a lot of the experimentation has been done; 32 times cd rom motor, 26-28 gauge wire with 14-19 turns per stator in the illustrated wiring. Produces a 280 power, 18 gram motor. I am working on one now just waiting for the controller at this point. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'll have some results. The Ikarus thread is of a great help. Also if anything is in german just translate it with babelfish.
fritts is offline Find More Posts by fritts
Old Apr 12, 2002, 10:31 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
Trader Rating: 151
Quote:
Originally posted by Dauntae

Dauntae

I am one of the few electric flyers at the Lazy Loopers club in Wrentham, MA. I am currently unemployed and taking full advantage of my free time to get some extra flying time.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 12, 2002, 10:47 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,413 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
I too have recently become unimployed but my part time job has become a little less than part time, The club I am joining is the Cloud Dancers in N Dartmouth MA. They are a good bunch of guys and they said if I can fly it then it's welcome, They have had some electrics members a few years ago there but none that really performed but my brother and I fly nothing but at the moment and are really wowing them with our planes. It is nice to have other people there to talk with about different setups and planes even though I'm sorta the baby there. I'm 31 and the majority of them are retired but they also seem to enjoy the conversation and seem very interested in what I have to say about my setup and plans for the next plane. I am currently starting a scratch build and as the club president said, I'm jumping in with both feet because I only have one build so far and that is my X-250. At liest I have some people that know what it is like to build to show off the plane when I finish.

Dauntae
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Last edited by Dauntae; Apr 12, 2002 at 10:49 PM.
Closed Thread