Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Low cost 5 meg Polaroid Camera

Found this camera at Circuit City for $129 plus $20 rebate = $109.

Polaroid PDC5070

http://www.polaroid-digital.com/site.php?cid=14&lid=1&serid=1&pid=5

Unlike most of the low cost 5 meg cameras that I have been looking at, this camera has a true 5 meg chip. It is not a 5 meg intropolated 1.3 meg chip piece of used dog food.

So far I've taken some pictures and played with it a little and I like it.

Good points for AP
1. True 5 megs.
2. One step shutter button. So it should be easy to setup with a servo or electronic switch. (Actually I've found the button to be a little sensitive and have taken accidental pictures of my shoe.... )
3. The auto power is setupable . IE you can turn off the power off saving mode!!
4. Runs off of 4 AAA batteries. AKA 4.8 volts which your radio also runs off. Which means you probably can leave the batteries out and run the camera straight off your radio power supply without a regulator. ( But we may need to check the amp draw first...........)
5. Can take up to a 1 GIG sd card. great for video!!
6. The weight of the camera without the batteries came to 134 grams or just over 4 ozs.
7. It is a simple point n shoot camera without a lot of bells and whistles.

Some drawbacks

1. It is a simple point n shoot camera without a lot of bells and whistles.

2. Fixed focal lens but it does have a glass lens!

3. You have to wait 2 seconds between shots.

For the price, it looks like a good step up from the Aipteks. Without having to buy and risk some of the more expensive cameras for AP. Tomorrow, I plan to do some more testing and then build a mount for my Slow Stick to carry it. Watch this space for pictures.

BTW There is a 3.2 meg version of this camera for sale for $89 if you want to go that way!!
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2005, 11:07 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
A buddy of mine at work give the camera high marks. I have not seen any prints or zoom in on the web yet. I will be looking at this camera closely as well.
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old May 14, 2005, 11:10 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Still Resolution: 2620x1984
Still Image Format:
Lens Type: Glass
Lens Elements:
Focal Length: 9.22 mm
Aperture: 2.8/8.0
Focus: Fixed
Exposure: Auto / Manual
Optical Zoom: n/a
Digital Zoom: 4x
Flash Modes: Off, Auto, On, Red eye reduction
LCD Display: 1.5
Memory Internal: 16MB
Removable Memory Format: SD
Max. Memory Supported: 512MB
Battery Type: AAA x 4
Video Out / Docking Station: n/a
Video Resolution: 640 x 480, 320 x 240
Video Format: AVI
System Requirements: Win98SE, ME, 2000, XP. Mac OS 9.2 - OS X
Additional Specifications:
Old May 14, 2005, 11:18 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
I saw that on the web site, but what is the FPS?

I'm going to guess its 15 because of the price. If its higher and does actually take good video....would def. be a deal.

keep us posted
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old May 16, 2005, 02:21 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
HUM,

Not able to download the manual. So, I am unable to check the FPS.

John
Old May 16, 2005, 07:48 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Yesterday, I took a bunch of pictures with both my Aiptek SD 1.3 meg and the Polaroid. Lost the pictures in the Aiptek so I couldn't compare them to the Polaroid. The Polaroid pictures came out pretty good and they are 5 meg pictures. And the detail is definately better. I would however rate the sharpness of the pictures about what you would expect for a fixed focal lens.

I looked in my manual and I don't see the fps listed anywhere. The only thing I could find is that you can shoot the video at 640 x 480 or 320 x 240.
In AVI format.

Interesting, the manual says that it is a CCD 5.1 chip!! I thought it was CMOS.....
Old May 16, 2005, 08:01 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
After a quick check at Circuit City, They say that the camera is a CMOS 5.1 camera with a 20 FPS video at 320 x 240. The manual says 5.1 CCD chip?!?

BTW Circuit City has $30 off today on their website for Polaroid camera making the camera cost under $100. (no rebate!) D@mn, they did that right after I bought my camera!!
Old May 16, 2005, 09:21 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Here is a picture for you to download. See what you think:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Rch...s/DCFN0001.JPG

Here is a picture of the camera next to an Aiptek

Last edited by RCheroske; May 16, 2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:09 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
The photo you posted is not a blurry as I thought it would be (looking closeup) for the high focal length of the lens and looks to be a good camera for quality 8x10 prints. When looking at a 1 inch section of the photo at full screen you will see some blur in the detail.

The camera appears to be a very good camera for web work and good for prints to 8x10. Prints larger than this will start to show the blur. The camera and it capabilities is a great step up from the Aiptek. I'm sure it will find it's way into AP use by those who have strict hobby budgets!

For the price....... It's a nice little camera!

John
Old May 16, 2005, 03:10 PM
Will fly for food.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jul 2002
391 Posts
Circuit City will refund 110% of price differences even on their own pricing. Go back with your receipt and the sale flyer and get your money brother!

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCheroske
After a quick check at Circuit City, They say that the camera is a CMOS 5.1 camera with a 20 FPS video at 320 x 240. The manual says 5.1 CCD chip?!?

BTW Circuit City has $30 off today on their website for Polaroid camera making the camera cost under $100. (no rebate!) D@mn, they did that right after I bought my camera!!
Jonathan Ott is online now Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Old May 16, 2005, 10:32 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
If no one has welcomed you to RC Groups Jon......

Welcome to RC Groups!

Thats great info about CC! Thanks for posting it!

I made an 8x10 print of the photo you posted RCheroske, and the quality looks very good. After I took a 1 inch section of the photo and made an 8x10 of that I did see some blur in the print. On a larger scale poster print, I'm sure the blue will be more noticable. I don't have that scale printing capability, so I can't really say how bad the blur would be.

I still think it is a nice camera for the price.

John
Old May 17, 2005, 12:02 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Yep, it is a very nice camera for the price and I'm quite pleased with it. I'm currently designing a mount for it for my Slow Stick. I'll have some comparison pictures up shortly but I can tell you right now that the Polaroid is much better than the Aiptek.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:12 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
I agree with that!

I wonder how long it's gonna take before one of our local electronics guru's hacks a PIC chip into it so folks can hook in to a RX?

John
Old May 17, 2005, 08:04 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
I don't think you need anything special. Just a simple R/C switch wired into the shutter button. The camera has a simple single step shutter button.

The real question is how many amps does the camera draw? If we plug the camera directly into the receiver, we want to be sure not to draw too much power from the receiver.
Old May 17, 2005, 08:39 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
You got a good point there, with the amps. I neglected to ponder that. 4.8V "AAA".

Should'nt be much with LED display and flash off. May have to use a UBEC. Is the amp draw listed in the manual or on the bottom of the camera?

John