HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2005, 02:08 AM
depron_dad
Melsele, Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
134 Posts
Ikarus 3D power set any good? for a beginner.

Masters of 3D, I have a question, not having a brushless ESC, me and my son also want to build a 3D foamy now (after learning on an easystar and progressing to an IKARUS SU-27 XXL, 2 already!), Is this power set a good cheap start? has anyone tried it yet? I will build the foam stuff myself, but only have direct drive power plants now.

I'd built something and trim it for go-around flight first and progress from there.

We have a fairly light receiver at 15gr, one of 25gram, a 10 and 18 AMP lipo ESC and at the moment I mainly use NARO std's of 9gram each.

One 3s1p at 110 gram is the power source (apart from an array of nicad combinations for the easystar).

We have 2 xmitters, one 6ch and one 3ch with mixing that works nicely for the my son as it is a very easy xmitter.

Ikarus 3D power set

Any ideas on this setup? Experience?

DeeCee.
deecee is offline Find More Posts by deecee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2005, 11:50 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
It appears to function adequately, and has the advantage of fitting together according to the written instrctions. However, it appears to simply be a brushed Mabuchi motor, and as such, is essentially the same as a GWS EPS 300 power system. A bit of ingenuity can have the GWS system onboard for less money and with cheaper spare parts.

I flew my Superstar shockflyer on the GWS system very successfuly (a C gear ratio and 10.47 prop on 3S lipolys). However, the performance difference between that system and a brushless is large, mainly due to the weight of the brushed system.

Best of luck!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 15, 2005, 01:51 AM
depron_dad
Melsele, Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
134 Posts
Good info!

Will explore that option, thanks!

Have just aquired a 3s1p 850mA lipo at 60 grams (including connector) so weight wise we lost a potential 60 grams there already, should be a better light foamy plane battery.

DeeCee.
deecee is offline Find More Posts by deecee