HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2005, 04:52 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
This X-wing is a little on the "Dark Side"

Frustrated at all the wind over the last few weeks I've built this to practice hovering in my garage. 2 intersecting triangles of 3mm depron make a nice stable platform that doesn't always fall over when you land vertically.

It's 23" 'wingspan' and about 16" from the floor to the prop.
AUW 125g
TP 2s 480 battery
CDROM motor
Saturn 5g servos

It has elevons and rudder controls but I think it would be better with four servos and a split rudder (that also works as ailerons: rudderons?) because the roll control isn't as sharp as the others, but I'm not sure if I can mix that on my radio (it's an old FF6 and I think I'll need to buy a 6 channel Rx?)

I've flown 4 batteries so far, each lasts about 20 minutes (including picking it up every few seconds and applying more CA ;-) and I'm starting to get the hang of hovering it for more than a few seconds, which is good because there isn't room to fly around and get back into position like I'd do with my mini3DX.

It does fly conventionally too, although with a wing loading of about 4oz/square foot it's a bit fast for my garage (maybe I should try again when the car is out!)

The white blob around the motor is EPP-like packing foam - I was worried by the way it always smacked the ground when it tipped over.

This was inspired by some recent photos of a model of the Pogo VTO experimental plane, and a VTO IFO I built a few months ago (that was too wobbly to land vertically)

So, has anyone else done something similar and got some useful advice?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2005, 05:10 PM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
I am going to build some thing like this tonight. I'll post some pics when its all cut
bamm is offline Find More Posts by bamm
Old May 14, 2005, 03:37 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
If it's not too late, I'd recommend making at least one side from a different colour, as it's easy to get disorientated.
Mor wing area would be good too, but I'm not sure how to do that without either making it huge or moving the CG higher up and making it less stable.
Old May 14, 2005, 08:38 AM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
I built mine already and its going to fly like a X but it will still vertical take off anddo all the 3D stuff
Old May 14, 2005, 09:15 AM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
Robin, can you also post a picture from the top straight down.Where is the cog on this beast? If you have some carbon strips, you should be able able to reinforce the trailing edges and run some verticly on the fins for added support without a weight penalty.Should stop you from needing as much ca and repair time and more flying time. Neat design,I will have to build one too.
9LIVES1968 is offline Find More Posts by 9LIVES1968
Old May 14, 2005, 09:39 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
>Robin, can you also post a picture from the top straight down.

Is this any good?

> Where is the cog on this beast?

Roughly in the middle.

> If you have some carbon strips

I don't, just rods :-(
The motor is bound and CA'd to a couple of carbon rods, which help spread the shocks but I should probably have used longer ones.
The 'feet' get a bit crumpled on the corners, but nothing serious.

The bit that breaks is the motor mount (and the prop) - hence the big block of white foam.

When this one is beyond repair I'll try a square one, that should protect the prop and motor much better, and lower the wing loading.

> Neat design,I will have to build one too.

Cool, let me know how you get on!

Bamm: how are you going to make it fly as an X? 4 servos and some very complicated mixing?
Old May 14, 2005, 10:01 AM
HELL no you cant fly it!
Joined May 2004
584 Posts
what in the world is behind that prop ?!?!?!?
lift off is offline Find More Posts by lift off
Old May 14, 2005, 10:05 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
A block of epp-like packing foam (with a CDROM motor burried in the middle)

I was worried by the way the motor smacked into the concrete floor every time it tipped over.
Old May 14, 2005, 10:21 AM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
That picture helps.I can understand the tape for orientation now.Once you get it up in the air,it looks real easy to lose orientation.Is the goal with this besides hovering to take off,fly, and land vertically.For more wing area, will rounding the the top area help( like this parentheses?
Old May 14, 2005, 10:28 AM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
Yes I am going to use 4 servos, I have to fidure out some ting for the mixing
Old May 14, 2005, 10:44 AM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
Here 2 pics of it. see that is how it will work
Old May 14, 2005, 10:50 AM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Birmingham,Al
Joined Dec 2001
1,815 Posts
Like bamms,but rounded even more to retain more of your design:

Bamm,yours looks like two wings stuck together from a flate plate gee bee 2 racer?
Old May 14, 2005, 11:00 AM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
Yeah I sorta took the look of the Mini Gee Bee from HL. I am puting the servos in right now then the motor and every thin else (:
Old May 14, 2005, 12:19 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
> Once you get it up in the air,it looks real easy to lose orientation.

It is! It might be OK for a better pilot or with more space but I keep getting confused and crashing. The orange tape helps a lot but you can't always see it.

> Is the goal with this besides hovering to take off,fly, and land vertically

Yes. I have managed this but it's a little fast for the space available in my garage. If it's less windy tomorrow I'll try it outside.

Bamm, that looks great - it might be a bit less stable for landing but it should protect the motor and prop, and it'll give you more wing area for slower flight. I'd love to know how you manage the mixing though - I've been through the manual for my radio and I'm not sure it's possible.

BTW, I added a small strip of depron as an angle brace (like on the new ikarus shockfliers) because the joint between the wings kept breaking. It seems to have helped a lot.
Old May 14, 2005, 12:39 PM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
yeah I know, if I can't do it I am going to have to fly that plane like 3Dfoamy's VTO ): I won't be able to fly it like a X ):