SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2005, 01:42 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
jepe a-4 with retracts or fixed?

i was considering converting the a-4 to retracts mechanical! Or maybe the nose mech and fixed mains! any thoughts?
demetrius is offline Find More Posts by demetrius
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2005, 01:44 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
also has anyone ever converted these nose retracts to steerible?
Old May 13, 2005, 01:51 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
i wanted to keep the weight down due to i put a midi in it and that setup brought the weight up as oppose to the carbon one offered by jepe! so far with mega 2t and 20x gp 2200 i am looking at 5.3 lbs i think. So any thoughts? Also i was thinking i would keep it with nimhs since it has a few miles on it.
Old May 13, 2005, 01:56 PM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
i also have one robart steerible 602 retract
Old May 13, 2005, 04:39 PM
mid west
Joined Jan 2002
668 Posts
well fixed would be the easiest.
Ductedfann is offline Find More Posts by Ductedfann
Old May 13, 2005, 05:40 PM
Joined Sep 2004
158 Posts
Do it and let us know how it turns out. I would like a Jepe A-4 one day but I am not a fan of bungee launching or fixed gear.

Jason
JEllis is offline Find More Posts by JEllis
Old May 13, 2005, 06:16 PM
mid west
Joined Jan 2002
668 Posts
uncle Joe did a A4 with retracts a year or so ago. It can be done, next year JEPE will release a version for retracts,along side the bungee version we should have on to show soon, I cant wait to get them in we do have the bungee version in now.

Morris Ductedfans.com
Ductedfann is offline Find More Posts by Ductedfann
Old May 13, 2005, 06:53 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrius
i was considering converting the a-4 to retracts mechanical! Or maybe the nose mech and fixed mains! any thoughts?
De,

Retracts all the way, `round.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old May 13, 2005, 06:56 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
A Mega 2T in a Midi???????????

Which 2T are you using?
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old May 14, 2005, 12:29 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Hi

When did you get those retracts from PILOT?

I'd like to pick up a set for my F-18

Bruce
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
Old May 14, 2005, 01:12 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk
A Mega 2T in a Midi???????????

Which 2T are you using?
i currently have installed, midi with 22/30/2t mega & cc80. with 20x-> GP2200, GP3300, cp2400.
Old May 14, 2005, 01:16 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruce
Hi

When did you get those retracts from PILOT?

I'd like to pick up a set for my F-18

Bruce
I picked them up at my local hs! there dj's and ild imagine you could order them with whom ever is currently selling there kits. EAM carried them for a while. I'm not sure if they're still selling them.
Old May 14, 2005, 01:18 AM
Joined Mar 2004
272 Posts
Retract mod

Demetrius:

I once modified the front retract of my dj 3 to be sterable, but it was too weak, I basically machined a groove about 1/8 above the line where the leg enters the pastic rotating base (it has a name I don't recall) then I opened a slit from the back part of the palstic base to slide a retaining clip into the groove, turns out the groove made the piano wire weak and in less than perfect landings the leg would bend (even though it was inside the plastic base) another method to do this(I dion't recall the reason I did not do it on this one, maybe lack of space inside the retract case) is to disassemble the retract, remove the leg and drill the rotating base all the way through the leg hole, then insert the leg with a dual steering horn and a spacer(more on the spacer later)all the way through the hole and use a friction clip placed on the top side where the top of the leg would exit, yet this would have to have a very shallow height of the wire protuding out, 1.5 to 2 mm, just enough meat for the friction clip to hold the leg from falling, the steering horn would keep it from going into the retract. The reason for the spacer is that the horn has to be away enough from the base of the retract to clear the retract housing when retracted. The issue with this method is that the litte amount of wire protuding from the top may not always work, allowing the clip sto slip and the leg would fall, the second proble is that the retract case has to be ground on the inside to allow clearance for the friction clip and the protuding wire to move. I sold my DJ- 1 a long time ago but the new owner is still using this retract I modified. I have done this on the GP .10 retracs also, though I would not recommend them for front wheels as their cases only have about .7 to 1 mm of plastic on the area that absords landnd shock, on any plane I tried them on the base broke on landing. The picture below will give you a better idea of the second alternative, this is a GP .10 retract, it does not have the retaining clip because I lost it:
Alexis_Ruiz is online now Find More Posts by Alexis_Ruiz
Old May 19, 2005, 01:29 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,059 Posts
hey guys will hs-81s work with these retracts?
If not what will or what will work at a lighter weight?