HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2002, 06:12 PM
Lake District, UK
Joined Apr 2002
5 Posts
Butterfly (Dynaflite) Conversion

Can anyone help. I would like to power this model with electric but do not know if it is feasable. As a newcomer to flying any help, hints etc would be welcome
Kevin_Smith is offline Find More Posts by Kevin_Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2002, 08:23 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Zone. I have attached a pic of my dad's butterfly that he converted about a year ago. Actually, he built a gas version about 15 years ago and liked it so much he built another gas version when he got back in the hobby. After flying the glow version around he pulled out the plans and scratched a second fuse for e flight. He uses the same set of wings to fly both types of power systems.

The electric version actually came out much lighter than the gas version.

I like the way his flies so much I convinced him to build one for me! We will finish it tomorrow and I hope to get the first flights in this weekend.

Here is a link that shows some pics of my dad's plane. If you want more info let me know. I can give you many suggested power systems in many price points.

http://www.koolflightsystems.com/butterfly.htm
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:40 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hey,

I've started a butterfly and plan on powering it with a AstroFlight
geared cobalt 15. A friend of mine has/had a butterfly with a HP .21 VT four cycle glow engine. That was a great combination !! The HP four cycle is soooo quite that you can actually hear the prop noise over the engine.

I plan on adding LARGE flaps so that I can land it in a smaller space...... hopefully a soccer field....launch will be NO problem.

AMA 213751
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Apr 11, 2002, 09:30 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
I decided to try out the Graupner "Thin Tall" spoilers in mine. This plane flys so slow I don't think I'm gonna need flaps for spot landings.

The problem with spot landing my dad's is that even the slightest amount of ground effect will balloon him from 3 feet over the deck to 10 feet or more.

My power system will be a Hacker B40L LMR carbon case swinging a 16 x 10 prop on 7 cells. I'm really interested in this little motor...it's a jewel to look at. I hear they really pull....looking forward to trying it out.
Last edited by Jeff Meyers; Apr 11, 2002 at 09:43 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 07:34 AM
Bradenton, Fla, USA
Joined Dec 2000
9 Posts
Hey Kevin,

A number of flyers in my club (Sarasota Silent Flyers) have built the electric version of the Butterfly. They all use the Astro 15 for the power system. The only complaints I ever hear about the Butterfly is with transporting it to the site (size related) and the two part wing.....I built the smaller version "Piece of Cake"...The single piece wing and 6 ft wingspan addresses both of these issues...Makes for a great trainer at our club......I power the smaller version with any geared 05 and it flys great and long...You will enjoy either model.........Mike
mvander is offline Find More Posts by mvander
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:32 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jul 2000
173 Posts
Jeff,

Is that pic retouched or something?
The blurred grass around the fuse and shadow behind the wing look totally bogus.

Just one of those jarring things you see, like the celebrity heads on nude bodies.
Tim O is offline Find More Posts by Tim O
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:38 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
No...it's my pic and I don't remember doing anything other than resizing the pic.

Will you cut it out and make the plane fly over a clear blue sky???
Last edited by Jeff Meyers; Apr 12, 2002 at 01:37 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:43 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
..bigger
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:44 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:45 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Old Apr 12, 2002, 04:00 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for the great info on the E-Butterfly !! Do you have an idea when your Butterfly will be completed and flown ??

Again, thinking about landing in smaller areas, I thought about the flaps as a big drag component... drop them down about 80 degrees or so. The spoilers create drag and dump lift, a double benefit. These new pico servos for parkflyers are so tiny and light weight, I also am considering adding spoilerons to the out board panels but they would pop-up ONLY using a pico servo in each outboard panel, again to create drag and also washout.

I'd like to hear how effective your spoliers are before I build the wing..... again I'm hoping the flaps and spolierons will create enough drag that the butterfly will kinda float down like a leaf... a really HIGH angle of descent.

Thanks Again

AMA 213751
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Apr 12, 2002, 08:00 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Hey old dude,

All that's left is to install the rx and ESC / pinstripe down the fuse / check throws / put some connectors on my pack.

I will do this tomorrow afternoon. The weather is not looking too hot this weekend. If the weather permits...it will get flown this weekend.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 05:10 AM
Lake District, UK
Joined Apr 2002
5 Posts
Butterfly

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your info and advice, I will be going electric on the butterfly and I will keep you posted
Kevin_Smith is offline Find More Posts by Kevin_Smith
Old Apr 13, 2002, 08:26 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Well...I got everything done except the red strip to go down the fuse. I thought I had enough left over from my Mega Manta. NOT...

Anyways, here's two pics....looks just like dad's except for the red. With my power system...it should look very different from my dads on launch.
Old Apr 13, 2002, 08:27 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Here's the spoilers I was talking about....