HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2005, 07:41 AM
Florida, USA
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
Cool
100% vibration free mission with the BlackSky Cam mount

Just wanted to share that I had an awesome couple flights on an important job. I usually have about 5% of my 1 gig of photos show up with vibration in them, but AMEN !!!, I hit 0% yesterday.

The proof is in the pictures, I also included some photos of my BlackSky set up. One word - simple -, and the most important thing - IT GETS THE JOB DONE EVERYTIME!!.

Enjoy,

BlackSky
Newly designed site for the mount.
http://cameramount.blogspot.com/
GoForBlackSky is offline Find More Posts by GoForBlackSky
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2005, 08:19 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
BlackSky,

Nice pictures, BTW. A couple of questions:

How does the mount dampen vibrations? Itís not obvious to me how this mount would dampen vibrations better than some others from say the motor.

How would you use this mount in/on a Magpie, for instance?

Thanks.

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner
Old May 12, 2005, 09:36 AM
Clear Lake City Metroport, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
I have one of these mounts, I have not built the plane yet. I think that the mount should dampen a lot of vibrations because it places the entire mass of the camera out on a long moment arm away from the SS fuselage. Vibrations would be transmitted to the camera with a low degree of mechanical advantage. It's like taping a 4 oz weight to the end of a ruler, and trying to shake the weight by holding just the first inch or so of the other end of the ruler. You will be able to do it, but most of the shaking force will be turned into a torsional movement and it will be minimized. I am looking forward to try it out on my new AP plane.

As an aside, I took a lot of photos of my place of work in galveston and sent them around to co-workers. It got the attention of the PR office and they contacted me wanting to know if they could have mne take some more photos to use on thier web site. In return they offered to buy me some toys for my plane! I immediately had them order the 1 watt digital link from

http://www.microwireless.net/digitallink.htm

I will be building my AXI 2808/24 powered SS, sporting this link system, my Optio S5i, FMA copilot, and Tanic 2220 3s1p cells in the coming weeks! It will be using the black sky mount. I will be placing velcro over a wide range of the fuse so I can move the camera anywhere down the length of the fuse to achive proper balance. You guys should give this mount a chance, It looks very promising for the price.

The only problem that I think I will have with it is that I would like to be able to tighten the latch mechanism via a screw. It is tight enough now, but over time I think it might get a little looser. I may have to put shims in it. If you guys at black sky could use a slightly different mechanism it would make a better mount. Something like the way bicycle wheels mount. I tighten to a certain point with a srew mechanism, and then flip the lever over.
pimmer is offline Find More Posts by pimmer
Old May 12, 2005, 04:27 PM
d9
A basement in NC
Joined Jul 2000
218 Posts
That is a Slo Stick right?

What's the difference between a SS and a Slo-V other than the V tail and ailerons? I see the SS as clearly superior with the ailerons but unfortunately I already have a Slo-V ..... striped of original gear and something workable in its place. What kind of weight are you lifting here?

I have an Olympus 770 but it is HEAVY.. I'm not sure the Slo-V will haul it around. I spent too much $$ on it to risk damaging it.

d9
d9 is offline Find More Posts by d9
Last edited by d9; May 12, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 12, 2005, 07:00 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
d9: weigh your camera and strap on an equivilent weight and fly.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old May 12, 2005, 07:02 PM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,394 Posts
The ss has fake ailerons. There are threads on the forum where people have put real ones one, but stock it is R/E/T

Typ
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old May 12, 2005, 08:10 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforkner
BlackSky,

Nice pictures, BTW. A couple of questions:

How does the mount dampen vibrations? Itís not obvious to me how this mount would dampen vibrations better than some others from say the motor.

How would you use this mount in/on a Magpie, for instance?

Thanks.

Jack

One word - MAGIC - I have chosen to mount it using Indus. strength velcro. On the fuse, on the upper part of the shaft and velcro strips to bond them together for a super bond. Any vibration is dissipated through the velcro. Like I said magic.

BlackSky
Old May 12, 2005, 09:23 PM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Dec 2004
7 Posts
What do you have your camera wrapped in? It almost looks like wet suit material?
er1c is offline Find More Posts by er1c
Old May 13, 2005, 08:53 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by er1c
What do you have your camera wrapped in? It almost looks like wet suit material?
I made that camera case out of a sheet of foamie I got from walmart. They have 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of it for less than a buck.

BlackSky
Old May 14, 2005, 09:11 AM
Joined Apr 2005
6 Posts
I'm almost ready to take up my SS for the first time. Been looking at your camera mount, can most cameras fit on it? I see you use a rubber band, how effective is it?

Seems too simple.
SSwinner is offline Find More Posts by SSwinner
Old May 15, 2005, 04:03 PM
Florida, USA
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
Congrats!!! You're going to start having fun soon. The mount has a standard camera attachment. It fit's most camera.

Yes the rubberband trigger is simple and effective. That's the key.

BlackSky
Old May 18, 2005, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2005
45 Posts
How does the rubberband trigger work?

I'm unclear as to how it works.
KeithCu is offline Find More Posts by KeithCu
Old May 18, 2005, 04:33 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,203 Posts
The rubber band just holds the shutter button down which takes photos every few seconds (as fast as the camera can take them).
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 19, 2005, 06:34 AM
Florida, USA
Joined Feb 2005
155 Posts
As shown in the photo the rubber band streches around the camera. I've attached a small black plastic knob on the rubber band with super glue.
Then when I'm ready to fly I hook up the rubber band with the knob on top of the button so it holds it down.

In sports mode it'll take 200 photos with the button down.

This works great for me. Hope this helps.

BlackSky
Old May 19, 2005, 07:05 PM
d9
A basement in NC
Joined Jul 2000
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Zipper
d9: weigh your camera and strap on an equivilent weight and fly.
Much to my amazement a Slo-V will lift an Olympus 770 at 361g.

I put an equal amount of weight on it and the dang thing flew.

Before I put the cam on there I'll need stiffer landing gear for sure. Any ideas?

Still puckering after that flight

Dave
d9 is offline Find More Posts by d9