HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2005, 06:40 PM
USA, OR, Stanfield
Joined Jan 2005
35 Posts
Great Planes Sukhoi SU-31 3D Profile power???

I just bought a Great Planes Sukhoi SU-31 3D Profile Park Flyer Airplane.
It is my first electric plane and I would like to know what your opinions are as far as the best brushless motor, speed controller, battery, and servo setups would be for this plane?
The specs say that it weighs 26 oz.

I have been looking into these electrics for some time now and I'm still a little unsure of all the lingo and specs of the electric world.

I need to purchase the power system and servos.

What would be a good system for this plane?
I'm guessing a brushless motor and Li-Po battery but which ones and what servos are good ones.
I've been thinking of the Hi-Tec HS-81 servos.

Would it be better to run a direct drive setup or a gear reduction?
What are some good speed controllers?
What are some good motors?
What are some good batteries?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I'm really looking forward to playing with this thing.
ChrisK7 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisK7
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2005, 10:38 PM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Power Setup..

At our local field, a friend has the SU-31 from Tower Hobbies, the profile model setup with the following..

He is using the Himax 2025-5300 with a 6:1 gearbox and props it for about
less than 25 amps( castle creations 25 amp speed controller) 3s2100 battery. However, this past weekend, the spur gear went on the 6:1 so he had to switch to a 4:1 ratio (thats what he had with him) and it still flew awsome..I don't recall exactly what prop he used..Vertical, hovers, torque rolls..the works..all up was somewhere around 25-27 ozs depending on the battery used..Plane is a very good performer..quick responses..do anything
you can dream up..

However, the one weak link in his setup was using the Himax gearbox..He had indicated that he has gone thru many spur gears..He flys with alot of throttle.

I would suggest if you go with a geared setup to get a high quality gearbox, many here suggest the Cobri gearboxes..I also think that the 2025-4100(4200?) would be a good solution also.

I would also look at the alternative power sources of an outrunner, no gearbox. But it also decreases the alternatives of what you can use a particular motor for in the future..Maybe the Hacker 20-20l but may just be under what is needed..According to Gwright you can get 35ozs of thrust and up. I don't have the exact facts on this setup..

BobFlyer

Battery..Polyquest 3s2100..10-12 c are good. need at least 20-25 amps ability. Irate, thunderpower, apogee's
HS-81's are good..

After you decide on the motor/gearbox setup..then you could make a decision on the battery..depends on the current requirement of the motor..

I could send my friend an E-mail to get additional info if you desire..
BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; May 13, 2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 14, 2005, 10:50 AM
Foamsmithing forever!!
Sugar Grove, Il.
Joined Aug 2004
2,992 Posts
ChrisK7,

I have this plane, I'm running a Himax 2815/4043 it's a 4.3 to1 gear 10X5 prop, and it is a planetary [in line] set up. No spur gears to worry about, this gear box is bullet proof!
I also run a Jeti Advance 40 AMP ESC it is good for someone just starting out with electrics cause it function is automatic, very easy to work with.

I'm running HS-55s in mine but the HS-81s will be as good, Hs-55s will fit better in the back for rudder and elevator.

The Himax is rated for a max of 40 AMPs so you could run a larger prop if you want to. Great planes has a 10 cell 2000Mah 4/5 sub C battery that works good and they are only $30.00 each You can run lipos but to get a battery that can supply enough AMPs it can get kind of costly. I have also run it on the same battery as an 8 cell too. They are only $24.99 each.

Hope this helps, you will love this plane. Light wing loading, floats very nice.

CTD
crash test dummy is offline Find More Posts by crash test dummy
Old May 20, 2005, 05:21 AM
USA, OR, Stanfield
Joined Jan 2005
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy
ChrisK7,

I have this plane, I'm running a Himax 2815/4043 it's a 4.3 to1 gear 10X5 prop, and it is a planetary [in line] set up. No spur gears to worry about, this gear box is bullet proof!
I also run a Jeti Advance 40 AMP ESC it is good for someone just starting out with electrics cause it function is automatic, very easy to work with.

I'm running HS-55s in mine but the HS-81s will be as good, Hs-55s will fit better in the back for rudder and elevator.

The Himax is rated for a max of 40 AMPs so you could run a larger prop if you want to. Great planes has a 10 cell 2000Mah 4/5 sub C battery that works good and they are only $30.00 each You can run lipos but to get a battery that can supply enough AMPs it can get kind of costly. I have also run it on the same battery as an 8 cell too. They are only $24.99 each.

Hope this helps, you will love this plane. Light wing loading, floats very nice.

CTD
crash test dummy
What kind of run time are you getting with your set-up?
ChrisK7 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisK7
Old May 24, 2005, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2002
68 Posts
Chris K7,
I've been flying mine with a Himax 2025-5300 and a Cobri g.b. @ 7.3:1, an APC slofly
12x6, and a TP 2100 2nd gen 3s pack. All up weight at 24 oz., it's an awesome flyer.
One of the best hovering airplanes I've got, and very light and responsive on the
sticks. The only modification was to epoxy a stick mount to the existing hardwood
motor plate.
Bob
Bob Cimarusti is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cimarusti