SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 11, 2005, 03:28 PM
sharkman
San Diego, Calif.
Joined Jul 2004
153 Posts
hard start vs soft start...??

Can someone please explain the difference between a hard start and a soft start? I'm somewhat new to RC flying and have only been doing this for a little over a year. I'm trying to figure out why my Tsunami 30A ESC only runs in contest mode.

thanks,
sharkman.
sharkman is offline Find More Posts by sharkman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2005, 03:45 PM
How do I land this thing?
Joined Jul 2002
448 Posts
I don't know that ESC, but a hard start is fine for direct drive. Soft start will power up the motor more slowly to avoid damaging a gearbox.
BigShark is offline Find More Posts by BigShark
Old May 11, 2005, 04:14 PM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShark
I don't know that ESC, but a hard start is fine for direct drive. Soft start will power up the motor more slowly to avoid damaging a gearbox.

It will also be 'kinder' to your battery packs too......The initial power on is like a dead short across a battery pack so a soft start will be a gradual increase in load current........Its a bit like a Direct On Line(DOL) start for an industrial 3 phase motor...star/delta starters were considered soft start...

@Sharkman.....you should be able to change the esc settings...Have you got the instructions? If they appear confusing( they are not the best written...) p'rhaps we can help?
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old May 12, 2005, 06:15 PM
sharkman
San Diego, Calif.
Joined Jul 2004
153 Posts
Hi Chippie,

Thanks. Yes, I do have instructions. I've been following them as best I can. My only issue right now is with getting the throttle to work after I program the ESC. That's why I want to understand the difference between a hard start and a soft start. So far, I've only been able to get the throttle to respond in mode 4 (contest mode).

I want to run the ESC in lipo mode (mode 5) since I'm using lipos, but I can't get the throttle to run the motor after I get it into mode 5. I've also tried mode 2 (motor mode) with the same results. According to the instructions, I'm in mode five because after connecting the battery with the transmitter on, I get the first beep, followed by the number of beeps for the number of lipos I programmed the ESC for, followed by the arming beep sequence. In the other modes, there are no beeps for the number of lipos programmed.

When I increase the throttle, nothing happens. What I'm not sure of and I don't see it in the instructions anywhere is what else I need to do to set the throttle after I have set the ESC to mode 5. The instructions tell me after I move the throttle to full for the number of lipos I'm using to disconnect the battery.

There is a mode 3 (heli) which the instructions mention requires a neutral setting for the throttle. I'm wondering if I am getting stuck in a neutral state somehow or if the throttle off position is getting stored backwards when I set it for mode 5. I guess I am a bit confused.

thanks,
sharkman.
sharkman is offline Find More Posts by sharkman