HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2005, 11:07 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
PSS Festival Virgin looking for a little advice

I got into the PSS Festival on a late entry so I'm now in the process of putting together something that will be able to stand the breezes.

I made a 1/12 scale composite TA-152 fuse already and am ready to start cutting the wings.

Please throw in a little input before I'm commited (no not to the asylum ).

White foam wings, carbon tow spanwise, sheeted with 1/16 balsa, .75oz glass, extra layer in the center and painted. RG15 airfoil. 60" span.

Flat balsa tailfeathers with no airfoiling.

Ballast setup similar to the FW190 method on this board. IE, square plates that are ~16oz each.

I have the option for blue foam wings or EPP if you guys stop me now.

How heavy should it be without ballast? As far as servos go, do I need super hitorque ones for the heavy weights or will ~40oz torque work?

I've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there, hm hm hm hm hm hm hm, and watch old bandit run!

Thanks, I'm Rick James
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2005, 11:11 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Wings sound OK to me for a midweight plane, say in the 40-50oz range. Just guessing, I am not an expert.

At least thin down the trailing edges of the tail surfaces--less drag and all that, yadda yadda yadda.

Blue foam is probably preferable for strength...if you haven't cut the wings yet, it couldn't hurt.

Standard servos should probably be fine. But nothing exceeds like excess

YOU CAN DOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Bondo is your Friend

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2005, 08:09 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
I'de go with heavier glass on the wings or you will be forever fixing them. the little rocks that litter most of our flying sites poke right through glass that light. I'de go with at least a layer of 4 ounce cloth over the wood. Make sure the fuse is not flimsy like an electric layup. It should be at least 2 layers of 6 ounce glass. Most of the PSS fuses are made with 3 layers of heavy cloth. The Fermin ships can be way more but te standard CSD kits are 1 layer of 1.5oz, 2 layers of 6oz, and a third layer of 6 ounce from the nose to mid wing saddle. You should still be able to hit mid 40s as far as weight goes which is perfect for Cajon.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old May 11, 2005, 09:24 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
My 2 cents...you might want to consider 1/32 ply for the wings and then the glass...makes for a very tough wing. I would definitely go with basswood on the LE. Though white foam isn't as strong as the blue, most of your wing strength will come from the sheeting/glassing so use what you can there. As Steve said, it couldn't hurt. You might come out a bit heavier than mid 40 onuces with a 60" plane, but that's OK as the larger airframe can carry it.

Most important thing about the Fest, TAKE A CAMERA!!! Man, there are some seriously nice planes there!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old May 11, 2005, 10:40 AM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Great! Thanks for the tips and advise.

Last night when I was searching for some foam I came across 2 sets of cores from years ago. Wadda ya know, they're TA 152 cores! I don't know what the airfoil is but it's thin and they are 48" so it's a little less wingspan than I was going to use, but whatever.

So, I went ahead and used them. They are white foam and I 3Med them together, used 2"wide prepreg carbon tow top and bottom and then 3M sheeted them with thin balsa. BTW, I had a little bit of the old 3m left so I didn't waste my cores. I (mistakenly?) used a 3/4" wide piece of hard balsa for the LE and was planning on using Basswood for the TE. I suppose I could slit the wing near the LE and put some CF tow vertically in there to act as another spar.

If all is good this afternoon I'll sand them smooth, cut ailerons and torque rods and if I'm feeling really froggy I'll glass them. I have a lot of 8oz glass so I'll go on and use that as opposed to the .75oz. I will still do 2 layers on the center section as the last thing I want is for it to fold in flight!

As for my fuse, it's a layer of .75 then cf tow going lengthwise, then 8oz covering that, then a second layer of 8oz in the nose section and wing saddle area. It was originally intended for Combat so I built it a little beefy. I may go ahead and shoot it full of foam when I'm all done for added rigidity.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep you posted.

RJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old May 11, 2005, 11:09 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
I dunno about that balsa on the leading edge / basswood on the subtrailing edge. That weight distribution is opposite of what you want for CG purposes, as is the durability of the two woods in question (i.e. much better to have a bass LE and a balsa TE, or bass for both would be ideal).

Beyond that, maybe another layer of that 8oz. inside the fuse, just for added strength?

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2005, 06:54 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,434 Posts
i've never been to cajon either. gads,i didn't know you build special planes just for it!!!!! i was going to show up with a couple LEG planes and whatever else i mght get slapped together. hope i'm not embarassed too badly!!!
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old May 11, 2005, 09:26 PM
Team member-One day PSS Build!
Corona, CA.
Joined Sep 2003
1,431 Posts
Just come and have fun. Flung what ya brung. PSS only during event. Have a great time, we will have food on Saturday, raffle prizes and all kinds of fun stuff!

Carl
Carlski is offline Find More Posts by Carlski