HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2005, 10:52 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Question
Oil smoke system for an electric? Not a smoke cartridge

I'm sure there's something that can be cluged together for an electric plane smoke system, and not something that's one time use. Usually smoke systems use the temperature in the muffler to turn the smoke oil into, well, smoke. So what we need, is some type of heating element that gets the oil to smoking temperature. I presume this would only be useful in a large electric as it'd draw so much power. Anyone done something like this, or know how to do this with a glow engine? I'm thinking of putting a smoke system in my mustang(eventually), however it's a 4-stroke... I don't wanna leave you guys out!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2005, 01:44 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,105 Posts
This question has been asked before with zip to nothing results Hopefully someone will think about the question and come up with an answer.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old May 11, 2005, 02:51 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The answer what you don't want to use, a smoke cartridge, plain and simple.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
Winnipeg Intl, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
662 Posts
I think it could be done. Just take a 120 volt hotplate, 100 Nicads, and a quart of oil with food colouring and and you have the makings of exactly what he needs!

Lee
Radioguy is offline Find More Posts by Radioguy
Old May 11, 2005, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
I've thought about using the smoke systems from 12V trains, wonder if it's possible. Not sure if you could get much smoke, though.
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old May 11, 2005, 05:48 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
The answer what you don't want to use, a smoke cartridge, plain and simple.
..a

Maybe a converter from say, 12v DC (whatever the pack voltage is) to 110AC or DC, I say DC because I figure you could run an AC heating element on DC, just so long as the voltage is right, I figure the energy in is what matters, it's not like the heating coil would care. How about an old covering iron heating element with a copper pipe or stainless steel pipe wrapped around it, a chamber with airflow in it from a one way valve and air pump to provide oxygen, and a window washer fluid pump and restrictor valve to control the flow? Let's see, I'd figure a covering iron at full power is about 45 watts, so that couldn't be too bad, could it? Especially on large models. I don't think the oil flow would cool off the iron too fast, especially when I've read that most of the time after a nice smoke run, you almost always have nearly a full tank. BTW, washer fluid pumps are only 12 dollars. Hmm! I didn't expect the ideas to explode like that!
Last edited by e-sailpilot86; May 11, 2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old May 11, 2005, 06:31 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Power is power, no matter what voltage you generate it at. If it takes 500W to boil and burn oil, you can do it with 5A at 100V, or 50A at 10V, either way, you need 500W.
Have you tried to create smoke with a covering iron? You might get a little whiff, completely invisible against an open sky, and certainly not sufficient to leave a stream behind a fast moving model.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 11, 2005, 07:33 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
i had a big 6v motor from a powerwheels 3 wheeler, i ran it on 12v, it started to squeak so i put motor oil on it. that made a lot of smoke. the motor still worked to. i had the fastest powerwheel on my street for a while.

btw i did this when i was maybe 9 years old, and i knew nothing about electronics then.
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old May 11, 2005, 07:54 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Power is power, no matter what voltage you generate it at. If it takes 500W to boil and burn oil, you can do it with 5A at 100V, or 50A at 10V, either way, you need 500W.
Have you tried to create smoke with a covering iron? You might get a little whiff, completely invisible against an open sky, and certainly not sufficient to leave a stream behind a fast moving model.
..a
Yup! I was just using the idea for the covering iron. It'd take 110v to make the heat work for the iron, that's all.

Any idea how much heat energy gets put into a muffler? Cause that's what we're after, steady heat.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:08 PM
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Mar 2004
639 Posts
I have 30 minute smoke cartrages that i would love to put on my planes, but nothing i fly flys for 30 min! I think i'll try to rig somthing up this summer.

Bill
furnaceman is offline Find More Posts by furnaceman
Old May 11, 2005, 08:40 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,992 Posts
Well just to add some energy (stupid pun) to this, how about using a coil of Nicrome wire and a small set of nicads to generate the heat. If I'm not mistaken the amount of heat could be controled by the length of nicrome. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old May 11, 2005, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2004
61 Posts
...um...
Isn't a glow plug a great source for heat (albiet small) and it runs on 1.5v...
so put two in series, with a 6v pack and drip oil on it... see what you get.
By the way I hear ATF (automatic tranny fluid) and liquid parafin make decent smoke oils...

Just something I would try... no idea if it would work.
IJustWannaFly is offline Find More Posts by IJustWannaFly
Old May 11, 2005, 11:50 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
872 Posts
I haven't actually tried this myself. Put a sparkler dipped in a suitable oil in a thin aluminium or SS tube suspended under the wing or fus to protect the plane . Fastenthe Sparkler at the front with a screw or clip. You can cut it to length so it only goes for 2 to 5 minutes. Hey if you put one near each wing tip it should look great.

Sparklers put out lots of heat at a high temp are cheap and can be used in multiples for more effect.

Ron...
Cas123 is offline Find More Posts by Cas123
Old May 12, 2005, 12:07 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I've heard that Clorox and brake fluid make smoke.
Maybe a servo could open a door between two separated compartments?
Don't know if it would work though.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old May 12, 2005, 09:20 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,799 Posts
in this vidio 27 ft wing span glider with jet motor what smoke system is used

In this vidio 27 ft wing span glider with jet motor what smoke system is used as what appears to be the smoke cannisters are on the wings
taken from wet jets forum
PS note after several minutes big crash
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349729

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog