SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 10, 2005, 04:04 PM
Vince Armato
Katy, Texas
Joined Jun 2004
181 Posts
Saito 82 Fuel/Oil/Exhaust Nipple - Which one?

I'm a bit new to four strokes and I recently purchased a Saito 82. Can somebody tell me what this nipple is for that is just behind the prop on the bottom of the crankshaft?
varmato is offline Find More Posts by varmato
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2005, 04:21 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
I believe that is the fuel pressure outlet, whereas on some engines it attaches to the muffler. FWIW
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old May 10, 2005, 04:28 PM
Fife, Scotland
Joined Apr 2005
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmato
I'm a bit new to four strokes and I recently purchased a Saito 82. Can somebody tell me what this nipple is for that is just behind the prop on the bottom of the crankshaft?
That's the oil drain from crankcase. Put a short length of tube on it to direct oil mist away from aeroplane - you'll be astounded at the amount of oil that comes out. All perfectly normal.
Category 5 is offline Find More Posts by Category 5
Old May 10, 2005, 04:31 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin
I believe that is the fuel pressure outlet, whereas on some engines it attaches to the muffler. FWIW
Nope it is not! That is the crankcase vent. You can attach a tube to keep the excess oil off the plane, but it won't pressurize your fuel tank.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2005, 04:47 PM
Vince Armato
Katy, Texas
Joined Jun 2004
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5
That's the oil drain from crankcase. Put a short length of tube on it to direct oil mist away from aeroplane - you'll be astounded at the amount of oil that comes out. All perfectly normal.
Yuck. That seems a bit crappy of a design. Any hints other than the length of tube?
Old May 10, 2005, 04:55 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Well the other location is in the middle of the backplate. The design is actually good - because it allows the excess oil to pool around the bearings. A good thing!

You don't have to do anything with it. It makes the inside of the cowl less messy if you attach some fuel tubing to it that is long enough to clear the outside of the cowl.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2005, 05:14 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Ok, well I feel completely stupid now thanks guys, I am actually putting this motor in a Funtana 40 right now and have been meaning to dig into the instruction book to be sure what that nipple was for and had just assumed it was to pressurise the fuel tank. I will take my ignorance esle where now thank you very much./
Old May 10, 2005, 05:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Ok, well I feel completely stupid now thanks guys
Naw - we have all done it trust me. Everyone is an expert here!

Trust me you are not the first to try it, I have seen it from guys at the field before.

You will like that Funtana!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2005, 05:32 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
If you're new to 4 strokes and saitos ... run this motor in at low revs, very rich, short periods, low nitro until you have about an hour's total running on it, leaning out progressively over this hour period of running. Then set shy of top revs by a good margin for the next gallon or so , then lean out for top performance, with a margin of safety behind absolute top revs. This will be a nice engine.
big bird
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old May 10, 2005, 05:47 PM
Fife, Scotland
Joined Apr 2005
16 Posts
Quote:
Ok, well I feel completely stupid now thanks guys......
Eh??? Don't know why - your answer was perfectly sensible, especially if you're used to 2-strokes. As far as the length of tube is concerned, I've taken mine to most of the way down the nose leg. The gunge still goes all over the place - of course.
Last edited by Category 5; May 10, 2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:01 PM
Fife, Scotland
Joined Apr 2005
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmato
Yuck. That seems a bit crappy of a design......
A bit messy perhaps, but it's good to know that there's plenty of oil sploshing around in there.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:30 PM
Vince Armato
Katy, Texas
Joined Jun 2004
181 Posts
So then is then crankcase vent the same as what pumps ask you to tap into a 2 stroke backplate, like the Perry pump design? In other words - hooking up a Perry pump is a no brainer with a Saito given that it already has the tap? Do OS 4 strokes have this vent as well?
Old May 10, 2005, 07:08 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Quote:
Ok, well I feel completely stupid now thanks guys
At least you weren't using the black idle stop screw as the low end needle valve, like I was. I was wondering why it didn't seem to do anything. Some guy at the field taught me that. I felt really stupid, but I went back to look at the manual and it never specified that the screw is in the center of the throttle arm. I thought the needle valve screw was just there to hold the throttle arm on.
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
Old May 10, 2005, 07:10 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird
If you're new to 4 strokes and saitos ... run this motor in at low revs, very rich, short periods, low nitro until you have about an hour's total running on it, leaning out progressively over this hour period of running. Then set shy of top revs by a good margin for the next gallon or so , then lean out for top performance, with a margin of safety behind absolute top revs. This will be a nice engine.
big bird
Big Bird,
This is more of a question than an answer but according to the new saito manual it needs approx 40 min run in, 2 10 min runs at peak rpm -4000. And two at close to peak fairly rich and then its ready to fly. My intention was to go through this process before I start flying it, I will be using the coolpower green stuff 15% Nitro 18% oil (Syn), and once I started getting used to the plane I was going to start bumping up the nitro. Does this sound like a good plan of attack? Oh BTW the first two runs are supposed to be so rich that the glow ignitor needs to stay attached.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:14 PM
Vince Armato
Katy, Texas
Joined Jun 2004
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridim
At least you weren't using the black idle stop screw as the low end needle valve, like I was. I was wondering why it didn't seem to do anything. Some guy at the field taught me that. I felt really stupid, but I went back to look at the manual and it never specified that the screw is in the center of the throttle arm. I thought the needle valve screw was just there to hold the throttle arm on.
Honestly the manual from Saito kinda sucks on their engines and it leaves a couple of obvious things out for those new to four strokes like myself. The break in description is good, but what each screw/part does is not entirely described, hence my original question.