HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2005, 12:43 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
help with first plane order

hey guys wondering if this is a reasonable setup for a first time flyer?

Pico J3 Stik - Yellow with ball raced gear drive, motor
Slim-10be 10/15A 5-10 cells
Quattro Lite Set w/R610 Rx2x371 servos
7 cell 300mAh 2/3 AAA NiMH pack

thnx
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2005, 02:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
667 Posts
Sorry not sure, but are you the same merc-blue from aus?
Astrix is offline Find More Posts by Astrix
Old May 09, 2005, 05:24 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
The Quatro Lite is one of the best radio you can buy but the aircraft for micro electrics version I know has Jr 241 servos and R610U. Small discrepancy in components? Make sure the one you buy is the Aicraft version with 9 grams servos.

I dunno the Slim-10be ESC, but the GWS ICS-50 ESC rated at 2 Amps is about the lightest and lowest cost ESC and is all that is required in the Pico Cub (with an IPS motor system). The ESC you are referring to is bigger than you need, but i am sure the difference in weight is not at all critical and it has the added benefit of being usable in a larger aircraft with a more powerful motor later down the road.

J3 stick is a good beginner plane and battery pack is well matched for it.

With the few details spelled out in mind, this will be a fine beginner set-up
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old May 09, 2005, 06:51 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,973 Posts
I looked up the ESC and servos. I was surprised to learn the servos weigh the same as S241's(a bit confusing), and the ESC is just 3 grams! This should be a very nice setup. I have flown a Pico Stick with 6 2/3A cells and a 14g ESC. It hauled this well, though loops were tense. Your lighter but more powerful setup can only be better.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old May 09, 2005, 07:15 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
That's strange, I did not find the 371 servos even on JR site. On the other hand, i saw my LHS carries the 6102 i postponed from buying last year (my 662 still doing just fine) with 4 241's and a R610 at a very attractive price. Almost too attractive to resist
Old May 09, 2005, 07:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
astrix yes im teh same merc-blue
ok thnx guys i was told another cell/more capacity wouldf be good.. i recon this would be fine for begginer also got told to go a better radio but the JR quatro seems good for a beginner.. i dont ever intend on getting into comp flying i just wanna fly with my GF for some fun
Old May 09, 2005, 07:52 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
667 Posts
dont forget, pick stik probably can't take much wind. Where are you planning on getting the stuff btw? Modelflight?
Old May 09, 2005, 08:03 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Well... no and no...

The IPS is already pushed at 7 cells.. and an extra cell or more capacity means extra weight. You really want to keep this airplane real light. My favorite pack for a J3 fuselage cub (besides my lipo) is a 350mah 7 cells for 10+ minutes flights.

The idea behind buying a better radio is to save you money down the road should you outgrow your four channel one by selecting a higher priced one right away. It used to make sense in the past, but not anymore. Companies marketing and products have changed. A 6 channel computer radio will cost you 2 1/2 times as much money as the Quatro lite. The Quatro is priced so low that if you were to buy the receiver, crystal and servos separately, it would cost you more money than the whole Quatro system. Net result is basically you get the TX and battery pack for free, so it is no loss at all if ever you need a more expensive unit down the road.
Old May 09, 2005, 08:11 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
yes most likly model flight.. asterix what other plane do u suggest that could take abit more wind?
Old May 09, 2005, 09:53 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
hey would a GWS funny park be a good plane for a begginer except that has to be li-po which im trying to steer clear of for now
Old May 09, 2005, 10:17 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
ok guys i just bough a beaver it has slightly higher wing loading so should handle better in teh wind and looks plenty tough..
thnx for all your help
Old May 10, 2005, 03:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
667 Posts
GWS Funny is a very bad plane apparently. The beaver is nice Like an electrafun XP but foam.