HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2001, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
SlimGym#2 Bites the dust!!

The Camera plane, another idiotic scheme come back to bite me in the rear.Overloaded again but this time w/ a Futaba 7 ch Rx (case on), disposable camera w/ servo taped to actuate shutter. Got 8 flights, really logey taking off,and hot coming in, then encountered turbulence at about 400ft and snappo, there goes the wing again. Had the prescence of mind to snap the shutter as the lawn dart descended, retrival successful. Guess I'll be ordering again, RATS Hey! I've got all these foam wheels left over, Maybe I should build a prop driven aircar Best regards

[This message has been edited by Bleriot (edited 05-29-2001).]
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2001, 08:27 PM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Hey, B:

Camera is a good idea. Hope you did not lose the camera in the figure V.

Crashed my SG280 today also, on the 6th flight. Fresh batteries, but wind was probably marginally high. In any event, it spiralled into a peach tree (lots of scraggly limbs) and destroyed half the wing. Everything else survived OK. Problem with ARFs is you don't have any spare parts or covering to repair with, so I will have to order some light covering material. Probably only a couple of hours of work, but it will be out of commission for a couple of weeks.

Hey, gives me a chance to build the Flitter and full-fuse lite stik I bought in Dallas yesterday! Definitely will build the Flitter first.
<><
James (aka RealGlow)

[This message has been edited by realglow (edited 05-29-2001).]
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Old May 29, 2001, 08:28 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleriot:
The Camera plane, another idiotic scheme come back to bite me in the rear.Overloaded again but this time w/ a Futaba 7 ch Rx (case on), disposable camera w/ servo taped to actuate shutter. Got 8 flights, really logey taking off,and hot coming in, then encountered turbulence at about 400ft and snappo, there goes the wing again. Had the prescence of mind to snap the shutter as the lawn dart descended, retrival successful. Guess I'll be ordering again, RATS Hey! I've got all these foam wheels left over, Maybe I should build a prop driven aircar Best regards

[This message has been edited by Bleriot (edited 05-29-2001).]

one shot per flight?
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old May 30, 2001, 04:12 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi MM Yep, one shot per flight.Thank God I still have my Minipleaser to comfort me. Best Regards
Old May 30, 2001, 10:54 AM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Quote:
Hi MM Yep, one shot per flight.Thank God I still have my Minipleaser to comfort me. Best Regards
I was taxi testing my MP last night (just before sundown) and it got slightly airborne. i found out where the weak points are. You mighty try one of those cheap motorized cams, and a circuit to fire the shutter. It wouldn't be radio controled, but would give you lots of pix.
Old May 30, 2001, 11:05 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,834 Posts
Bleriot,

There may be laws against Slow Flyer abuse!

Might be time to consider a Speed 400 ship...
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 30, 2001, 11:28 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Did both Slim Gym wings snap at the same spot ? Do you think these Slim Gym wings could use alittle carbon bracing at a weak point ? Maybe you need a different type of plane for this,an air-truck, ha.. like a Dragonfly 400sp ....hhmmm or how about a souped-up Bleriot III with your 280bb or 400sp motor on it ???
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old May 30, 2001, 11:44 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Wait, Wait ! Here's what you need Bleriot, from Multiplex http://www.multiplexrc.com/cargo.htm

Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old May 30, 2001, 06:17 PM
Mincha Victoria Aussie
Joined Dec 2000
461 Posts
Pete -- do your models quiver every time the light bulb appears above your head
aussie slowman is offline Find More Posts by aussie slowman
Old May 30, 2001, 06:25 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hiya Aussie! G'day to you too! No, but my wallet sure does. I had a bad week, totalling 3 airplanes and frying one DXA.I'm reduced to flying the Minipleaser with a 260 (yech) whilst waiting for my screwed up motor order to appear corrected for the 2nd time.I think it might have been less expensive to take a camera and take a sightseeing 15 min ride in a Cessna 150.Cheers
Old May 30, 2001, 06:40 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Quote:
Hiya Aussie! G'day to you too! No, but my wallet sure does. I had a bad week, totalling 3 airplanes and frying one DXA.I'm reduced to flying the Minipleaser with a 260 (yech) whilst waiting for my screwed up motor order to appear corrected for the 2nd time.I think it might have been less expensive to take a camera and take a sightseeing 15 min ride in a Cessna 150.Cheers

Hobby Lobby has the Telemaster and Senior Telemaster on sale...great for a camera plane.
Old May 30, 2001, 08:07 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I will volunteer to send Bleriot, Completely free of charge, 6 pieces of extruded c/f tubes to use for wing spar material. I'll do this so he can continue, his high speed, more power experiments. lol, Seriously though, the offer stands--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old May 30, 2001, 09:35 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Bleriot, this is all very depressing. I always thought that with more experience you are supposed to crash less often. When I think about all of the experience you have, it makes me wonder if I should continue trying to get more experience before I try to fly my more expensive aircraft, or go ahead and fly my more expensive aircraft before I get too much experience. ;-)
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old May 30, 2001, 11:52 PM
Eat, Sleep, Fly!
Joined Mar 2001
659 Posts
Hey, B:
><>
If you turn the camera around, maybe you could get a great picture of the wing breaking!
<><
James (aka RealGlow)
realglow is offline Find More Posts by realglow
Old May 31, 2001, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hello. I think, that above all, that the idea here is to have some fun with these planes, which I am, in spite of all the recent misfortunes. I read another post somewhere called "why do I do this" which went on to say that once comfortable with one's plane and flying acumen, that some crazed urge to push the limits rears up to bite one's butt. So it goes.I certainly like the SlimGym and it is a good sturdy plane when flown in it's design parameters so don't get the idea that it is not structurally sound from these posts.Batteries charged? Let's GO!! Best Regards