Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 07, 2005, 10:35 PM
Baltimore
Joined May 2005
20 Posts
What Batteries Do You Use In Your SS?

Hey I just got a brand new GWS Slow Stick, And I'm looking for some good batteries for a 400 Speed Motor. So I thought, Who better to ask then SS Pilots themselves. Well, what kind of batteries do you use in you SS? And what would your recommendation be for a 400 Speed Motor?
SkyRCJon is offline Find More Posts by SkyRCJon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2005, 10:52 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
I flew my SS for 30min with a 2S 2100mah pack.
That's the size I would suggest to have a good day of flying.

a 3S pack might be ok for the 400 motor. Lost of power but watch out not to overheat the motor.

Dan
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old May 08, 2005, 01:53 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
You'll fry the 400 with a 3S. I know lots of folks who state they
just don't overdo it and barely use the throttle(yeah right).

Better to stick with a 2S if you want to go lipo. But to start you
should just look into Nimh batteries to start with. Cheap and
the SS can haul them up with no problems. You can go with a
7 battery setup for a total of 8.4V, or with some prop/gear
setups you can go with an 8 battery setup or 9.6V.

If you decide to stay in the sport of throwing away money at will
then upgrade to brushless and lipos.

2cents,
fb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old May 08, 2005, 02:13 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
How much for NiMH?

How much is a 7 or 8 can NiMH pack these days?

Dan
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old May 08, 2005, 08:00 AM
ROCCO DOES RC!!!!
Joined Mar 2005
140 Posts
Don't go with NIMH batteries because you''ll only get more into the hobby and want to switch to Lithium Polymer batteries. The NIMH's are heavy and last flight time wise 1/3 of what a Lithium Polymer does with 1/2 the weight.

I'm just telling you this because I started my SS with NiMH batteries and got a NIMH charger, then switched to Lipo and had to get a new Quick charger for that.
Hard Wiggles is offline Find More Posts by Hard Wiggles
Old May 08, 2005, 11:34 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Ahhh Come on...

You don't even know if this guy will continue in this hobby. Heck the
damn "good" chargers for lipos go for around 90-120 bucks alone.

I have a 7 Nimh setup that costs me about $5 bucks. Show me where
I can get that in lipo. I got a Nimh charger for $19 bucks when I started!

Just common sense here guys....
fb
Old May 08, 2005, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,050 Posts
A 7 or 8 cell nimh (750 -1150 mah, which is the size I'd recommend for the SS) will go for between 10 and $24, depending on what you buy.

I wouldn't recommend LiPo's to a beginner. They are not as crash resistant as Nimh's are. A newbie has enough to worry about, let alone potentially starting something on fire.

My SS has the 300, but a fellow flyer powers his TM 400 with both 8.4V and 9.6V packs, both 750 mah. Not sure what kinds of time he gets from it. While the SS will take up quite a bit of weight, you still want to keep it as light as possible. When it starts to get heavier, it loses some of it's agility.

flight duration--flight performance. It's a bit of a trade off and depends on what you're willing to sacrifice.
Time Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Time Pilot
Old May 09, 2005, 11:08 AM
Baltimore
Joined May 2005
20 Posts
Thanks Guys, Lots of good stuff here. I think I'm gonna go with the Nimh. I'm still not sure what kind I need though, Looking for longer flight times and more power so I'll have to take the extra weight. Would an 8 Cell 1150 Nimh be ok for my 400 speed SS? This one to be precise. Look for product number: A8CBP1150BR. At Cheapbatterypacks.com: http://cheapbatterypacks.com/main.asp?sid=308289&pgid=packs&pid=AIR

Thanks,
Jon
Old May 09, 2005, 11:53 AM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
You'll fry the 400 with a 3S. I know lots of folks who state they
just don't overdo it and barely use the throttle(yeah right).
WRONG WRONG WRONG. I fly a 400 E-Starter on a tp3120 3s. I have over 8 hours on that motor and she's still running strong. Absolutly no need to go over half throttle. She climbs out at over 45 degrees and takes off in less than 5 feet and will loop from level flight at half throttle and will cruise around rather quickly at a quarter throttle. I get between 25 to 30 minutes of flight time.

Again, I repeat, you will NOT fry a 400 on a 3s as long you don't go full throttle all the time.

A blanket statement like what flyboy stated above is just plain wrong. It really depends on what kind of flying you do and what kind of plane you're flying. In a light trainer, it's not an issue. In a 3D ship, a warbird or a fairly heavy plane where you will be at full throttle more times than not, it would be an issue.

I do agree with flyboy on his recommendations to not go Lipo on first starting out. Stick with Nimh in the beginning.

But in answer to your orginal question, I use a TP1320 2s Lipo in my stock 300 Slow Stick. Will also use an 8.4v 600 mAh and a 9.6V 730mAh Nimh when I run my 1320 down.
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Last edited by Cal; May 09, 2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old May 09, 2005, 12:11 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Cal-

Come on....

How many new fliers you have seen don't go full throttle???

It takes time to get used to the controlls and have precise throttle control so you can manage flying a 3S battery.

I understand it can be done but not for a new guy in the hobby.
fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
WRONG WRONG WRONG. I fly a 400 E-Starter on a tp3120 3s. I have over 8 hours on that motor and she's still running strong. Absolutly no need to go over half throttle. She climbs out at over 45 degrees and takes off in less than 5 feet and will loop from level flight at half throttle and will cruise around rather quickly at a quarter throttle. I get between 25 to 30 minutes of flight time.

Again, I repeat, you will NOT fry a 400 on a 3s as long you don't go full throttle all the time.

A blanket statement like what flyboy stated above is just plain wrong. It really depends on what kind of flying you do and what kind of plane you're flying. In a light trainer, it's not an issue. In a 3D ship, a warbird or a fairly heavy plane where you will be at full throttle more times than not, it would be an issue.

I do agree with flyboy on his recommendations to not go Lipo on first starting out. Stick with Nimh in the beginning.

But in answer to your orginal question, I use a TP1320 2s Lipo in my stock 300 Slow Stick. Will also use an 8.4v 600 mAh and a 9.6V 730mAh Nimh when I run my 1320 down.
Old May 09, 2005, 12:17 PM
Cal
San Gabriel, California
Joined Aug 2004
1,583 Posts
He's flying a Slow Stick, flyboy. If he even tried to go full throttle on a 400 equipped Slow Stick on a 3s, he would stall. He sure as hell wouldn't be able to maintain full throttle long enough to fry the motor. He would crash before that ever happened.

But, regarding him, I think it's a moot point, because as you so correctly suggested, he should go with NiMh at first anyway.

The ONLY reason that I made a comment regarding that "400's WILL fry" on a 3s, is just that it's not true for every plane and for every flyer, and the way you stated it implied ALL 400's will fry on a 3s. At least that's the way I understood it, but if that's not what you meant, than I stand corrected.
Cal is offline Find More Posts by Cal
Old May 09, 2005, 04:50 PM
Joined Jun 2004
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRCJon
Thanks Guys, Lots of good stuff here. I think I'm gonna go with the Nimh. I'm still not sure what kind I need though, Looking for longer flight times and more power so I'll have to take the extra weight. Would an 8 Cell 1150 Nimh be ok for my 400 speed SS? This one to be precise. Look for product number: A8CBP1150BR. At Cheapbatterypacks.com: http://cheapbatterypacks.com/main.as...=packs&pid=AIR

Thanks,
Jon
Hello, i make my own battery packs using cheap ordinary 1700mAh AA NiMh batteries. A 7-cell AA pack is easily lifted by a Slowstick and works great.
1. Use some sandpaper on the + en - poles of the battery.
2. Use solder wick for the interconnection of the battery cells.
(Cheap and perfect for high currents!)
3. Make sure your soldering temp. is high enough around 380 degrees Celsius.
4. Keep soldering time short (around 3 seconds) or the internal safety vent of the battery will open and the battery dies.
5. Make sure that the battery wires going to your ESC are isolated and have some kind of strainrelief (tape them to the pack first, before going to the ESC).

Note: Make sure that you don't short the batteries, you can easily get burned!!!
Martijn Kaandorp is offline Find More Posts by Martijn Kaandorp
Old May 10, 2005, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,050 Posts
Quote:
I'm still not sure what kind I need though, Looking for longer flight times and more power so I'll have to take the extra weight. Would an 8 Cell 1150 Nimh be ok for my 400 speed SS?

This is what I was getting at. An 8C pack of 1150 batteries weigh almost 6oz once you get the pack together. A pack of 8C 750mah batteries weigh about 4 oz. The 400 is already up an ounce over the 300, so by adding the heavier pack, you're adding 3 oz. to a SS that flys using the 300 motor.

For a plane that weighs under 16 oz, you're adding a lot of extra weight, about 20% and the SS will fly differently with this extra weight.

I like the way my SS flys with the lighter 650mah packs, but I like the duration with my bigger 1150mah packs.

You don't get something for nothing.

I don't know if you've considered this or not, but if you order from CBP, consider the next plane you may have and the shape of the pack it may need so that you can reuse the batteries in it. And, if it makes a difference, consider where you want the wires to come out. The last packs I ordered from CBP, I had to rethink the way I was going to mount them in my Estarter because I hadn't considered the thickness of the wire in the installation. It wasn't their fault, of course, just something I hadn't thought of.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:13 PM
Baltimore
Joined May 2005
20 Posts
Time Pilot, What kind of flight times do you get with the 1150mah pack? Also, what kind of motor do you have? Because if you have a 300 and I have a 400 flight times will be very different.

Jon
Old May 11, 2005, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Time Pilot, What kind of flight times do you get with the 1150mah pack? Also, what kind of motor do you have?
I have the 300 motor with D gearing turning a 11x8 prop. Flying mostly sedately at half throttle, I would get around 22 minutes of flight time with my KAN 7C 1050mah nimh packs.

With the 400 you can expect less.