HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2005, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
How to Balance a Brushless Rotor ?

Hello All,

Just curious as to how one can balance the rotor on a brushless motor?

Thanks
AirBorne_AZ is offline Find More Posts by AirBorne_AZ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2005, 07:24 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,983 Posts
No different than balancing an Armature..use a magnetic balance and add or remove weight as needed..... except... often the Magnets are plated and removing metal is destructive/fatal to the Mag structure :-)
Are you absolutely sure balancing is even necessary??
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 07, 2005, 08:16 PM
Dade City, Florida
Joined Feb 2005
228 Posts
That is what I was thinking. If the rotor is not balanced, unless this is a self build, I would take it back.
acrobatorcrash is offline Find More Posts by acrobatorcrash
Old May 07, 2005, 10:39 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
I would definately only add material to balance the rotor, but only a badly made rotor would need balancing. On brushed motors, it's hard to get the coils exactly the same so they require balancing. On brushless motors, balancing can usually be omitted.
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old May 07, 2005, 11:59 PM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
Well, I am new to the brushless business and after crashing my plane, the motor's can got separted so I started searching for info here. Some one here on this forum said that he had to rebalance his rotor after he crashed, so I thought I might have to rebalance mine too. But it seems like its not required. I would just put the motor back as is and see if it runs ok. I hope there wont be any issues with it. Thanks for all the info though.
Old May 08, 2005, 12:15 AM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
If the "can" spins true when you run the motor, then I wouldn't worry about anything else. If it wobbles much, try to straighten it first. This is a standard cd-rom motor right?
Old May 08, 2005, 02:44 AM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
DavidB. : This is Align 400L brushless. So I assume I shouldn't worry too much about balancing it.
Old May 08, 2005, 03:17 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
Hmm, if it runs true then don't worry about it. If the shaft is bent, get it replaced, but other than that I don't think there is much you can do to fix an align motor.