HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2005, 11:44 PM
How do I land this thing?
Joined Jul 2002
448 Posts
Rant
The end of an era??? No more Endoplasmas???

It seems that my favorite cheap brushed sailplane motor is being discontinued. Please post any brushed replacements that will approach the efficiency and power of the endoplasma on just six sub-c cells. I've got three in use at the moment on a stock Skimmer 600, a heavily modified Skimmer 600 and an Omei.
BigShark is offline Find More Posts by BigShark
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2005, 10:31 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
Say it isn't SO!!! Yep - I checked Tower Hobbies' web site and all of the Kyosho stuff is discontinued.... AAARRRRGGGHHHHH! I 've been putting off a re-stock order for several Atomic Force and Endoplasma motors - and the prive had jsut dropped back to $25.00 ea... and ... and... now they're gone. OH the HORROR, the HORROR.

BigShark - I have been using an older Trinity Speed Gem (14T D)motor that is close to the AF - but alas, that too is an outdated motor. I can't make myself pay 60.00-90.00 for a primo car motor, when I can get a BL outrunner that'll do 300-350 watts without a gearbox for that much.

I also have used a Team Orion RUSH motor (19T D) - that was OK geard 2.5:1 on 6-8 cells. I have not yet tried it on a 10 cell pack and a 3.X:1 GB - It is in my spare drawer, and it will come out when the AF gives up for good. Orion has some newer "budget" motors that may fit the bill, the PILOT and the HAVOK.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/motesm03.asp and
http://www.hobbypeople.net/prdcls/motesm04.asp

Good luck - and let us know if you find one that works well. Really - the end of an era.

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 08, 2005, 10:42 AM
Perfecting pilot error
Joined Oct 2004
149 Posts
From http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/contact.asp

Quote:
To all of our valued customers who have been so patient during our US formation; we at Kyosho Corporation of America wish to thank you.

As we promised we are now shipping to our dealer network, and we urge you to check with your favorite hobby shop for all of the Kyosho RC products. Parts are readily available through our Customer Service Department, now staffed by experienced car and aircraft technicians ready to assist you.
From looking over the Kyosho America page it looks like they just finished setting up a US distribution center, and I get the impression from what I pasted from the site that things should soon return to normal.

Still, I think it's a bit odd that Tower shows all Kyosho items as discontinued. If they're going to pick the line up again why not show 'backordered' or an available date sometime in the future?

I'm personally not in the market for any Kyosho gear right now, but have owned a bunch of it in my RC history so am hoping that they don't fade off into the sunset.

Louis
Cycletherapy is offline Find More Posts by Cycletherapy
Old May 08, 2005, 11:05 AM
rockville maryland
Joined Aug 2000
309 Posts
try a trinity chamelon pro with a 4.4-1 GB. i spin a 14x9.5 folder on 7 cells....approaches a hacker b40. the trinity is a little pricey but it is broken in and has capacitors already wired internally....ken
ken troxell is offline Find More Posts by ken troxell
Old May 09, 2005, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2002
448 Posts
Unfortunately It looks like I'll have to take a leap of faith with one of these motors in the future. The websites don't list the motor constants and a lot of the motors aren't in p-calc. I guess any 16-19 turn car motor with large brushes and a large com will work.......but the endo was just about perfect. Hopefully Kyosho is just changing its distribution network. I've got a couple of emails in to them about this.

I'll have to try to the find the info to calc the Chamelon and any of the Trinity and Team Orion motors.
Old May 09, 2005, 12:37 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
BigSHARK - I have used a 14T D trinity motor - it's not as effecient as the Atomic Force - but it puts out about the same thrust for a few more amps and a little more heat.

I'm right there with you, brother. I have three good BL ESC that are waiting to feed a good and hot brushed motor.

Fly'em HIGH
JimNM
Old May 09, 2005, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2002
448 Posts
Is that the same 14 turn "onyx" listed in p-calc? If so, It's the best I've seen so far. Has it held up to 30-40 amps for you?
Old May 09, 2005, 09:10 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
BigShark - yes - the Onyx. It has smaller brushes (4x5mm ??) but they are holding up "ok' - I'm on my second set and the comm is at about 75%. I tried to rush a break-in period on my second Endo- and I was never happy with it. A good long run in is essential for the high output motors, IMHO.

I have not been able to find any sources for the ONYX - a Speed Gems "2" motor - so I think that those too have gone over the horizon into oblivion.

Jim

Edit - take a good look around the web - I just bought the last one from OMNIMODELS.com - I wanted 2, but their inventory tracking system bumbed me back down to 1. The other web sites that cater to the car crowd may still have one or two. Ehobies.com has the Trinity motors - not the Onyx - but the newer silver Speed Gems 2 - for about the same price.

Jim
Last edited by JimNM; May 09, 2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:51 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,317 Posts
check out this thread for a new source...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367875

jimnm