SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2005, 07:11 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Yippee!
Overlord 2.0 flight report (Brushless baby!)

After owning an AeroBird Extreme that was just a bit too heavy and fast for my first self-trainer I switched to an Easy Star. This allowed me to get me orientation down pat and even pull some loops and inverts with that wonderful trainer. After a few weeks of regular flying during my lunch hour in a lot near work the Easy Star lost some of the “thrills” I got on my first few flights with her all alone with no one to instruct me. Only my years of flight sim gamming seemed to aid in my being able to fly both trainers w/o an experienced RC pilot to help. The bottom line is I could not help but think about the guys flying those crazy wings at the park.

The desire for high performance led to contacting the local “wing” expert and the purchasing of a flying wing kit and new radio after a buddy-box test drive. I week later I completed my 48” wing. See thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362830

This was more like it. Lunch breaks became exciting again and now I could truly turn and burn, or so I thought. The new wing was much more of an exciting fly than the Easy Star, as much as I do enjoy the good ole’ EZ. However after only a few flights during lunch and that first weekend it became very clear that I could handle more speed and power. Before I even reached the teens in flight count I did the classic swap-out: Yanked the speed 400 brushed motor and ESC and dropped in a Mega 16/15/4 and a Castle Creations 25 amp ESC. The venerable Günter 5x4.3 prop gave way to a new APC 6x4 and 6x5.5 for when I’m pylon racing.

Now this is REALLY more like it. Lunch breaks are exciting again and all of my hot rod and speed thrills are fulfilled. The 48” Overlord now has enough power for a 500+ foot verticals, axial rolls on demand and speeds that allow me to out run any of the non-hotliners at the park. One of the great things about this slightly thicker airfoil is not only does it handle great at low speeds but it seems to be able to out turn any of the speedster Devastators I have flown with. In combat this thing is going to be a killer! It is fast enough to keep up with the smaller Devastators and with the tighter turning I can cut inside their line almost every time. There gonna hate me!

-Dave

<new pics to follow>
Pezzer is offline Find More Posts by Pezzer
Last edited by Pezzer; Jan 08, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2005, 07:14 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
<here is the old power plant>
Old May 06, 2005, 07:21 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
<what's this? Mega Brushless I think it says...yep looks like it...had to add some recognition for my new hot rod, some stickers and cool graphics>

Now hand launches are a no fear deal now as just a mild toss and hit the juice and she climbs out at a 45* angle until I deside to turn her around. No waiting to build up speed before turning. Just hit it hard and heavy for almost 8 minuets with the 1950 NiMh. Good times.

I'm a happy flyer now...

-Dave
Old May 06, 2005, 07:43 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
Wing looks great,bet it flies better.Any video? I'm kinda cheap,so I fly "zagnutz",but a couple I have scoot along pretty good with brushless power.It is funny how once you have been bitten by the wing bug,that is all you want to fly.(at least thats the way it worked for me) I have 18 wings from 16 inch to 93 inch,all do everything I want of them.a few pics can be seen here.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/volvonut2001/my_photos
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old May 06, 2005, 07:52 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
I need to get some video. Even if it is the low rez stuff the camera can do. It's real fun now and yes those darn wings are sure great...

-Dave

Want to build a Zagnut or a Concrusher for my old speed 400 setup. Depending on how much money I have when I'm ready to build another. Just got laied off today so I am worrying about getting a RX and 2 micro servos for the Micro Bee beta. It will be awhile before I start a new build. Plus I won a clasic Zagi 400x wing core and electric tray to build as a sloper maybe. Got too many for the time being for a unemployed guy.
Old May 06, 2005, 08:03 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
OUCH! Hope you get back to work soon! What kind of radio and channel #do you need? I got a bunch of extra stuff,maybe could loan ya for the bee build.
And yes ANY video is appreciated!
Craig
Old May 06, 2005, 08:11 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
wow, thanks for the offer Craig. I hope so too. Anyway I have a HiTech TX on channel 49. I could afford to but a crystal if you dont have that one. Thank you for any help is great...

-Dave

*man the guys on this forum are great*
Old May 08, 2005, 12:13 AM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
Old May 08, 2005, 01:19 AM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
whats the three dots for?...is that the "were is the video" look you are giving me?

I'll be lucky to survive after a tell the wife the news let alone fly any time soon...

-Dave
Old May 08, 2005, 11:19 AM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
OOPS! No the three dots were an edit thing gone wrong on a post I was trying to copy/paste.It went kinda like my flying sometimes,cash and burn.