SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2002, 02:48 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,114 Posts
Crunch time - need a motor for my Logo 10!

After a few weeks of having my Logo 10 kit (Thanks Tony @Eflightpacks - youre still the best!), I just cant let it sit anymore! The time has come to order a motor and ESC for it and Ive narrowed the choices...

What really has gotten my attention is the idea of using hot motors with smaller pinions and cell counts for performance. A lot like the basic idea of the JR Voyager - small high RPM motor, small pinion, low cell count for good performance. Just before Gary Wright posted his results of the Logo on 10 cells I was thinking right along his lines as well - I was thinking of a high power motor suitable for 10-12 cells and still a small sized pinion. Better yet, using 10 cells I could use my Schulze 45He WITH BEC eliminating even more weight not to mention using only 10 cells the Logo would be a true lightweight! Lighter would be even better as long as the power would be there...

Gary is using the Hacker B50-11L on 10 cells. Sounds like he is getting the performance I want on a LOW cell count! I definitely want 3D and I most definitely want 5 minutes using the new Panasonic High Voltage 3000s I picked up. Right now the B50-11L looks best on 10-12 cells using a 14-17 tooth pinion. Thats the first choice...

Then, Fred posted wonderful results using the $99 Mega AC 22/30/2 motor. This motor has a KV of 1770 - only 30 less than the Kontronik Fun 600-18 and the price is sure nice! Looks like 12 cells on this motor would be very nice for 3D, but it isnt quite hot enough for 10 cells. Still, it is an idea...

And the proven 3D motor is the Kontronik Fun 600-18. 12-14 cells seems like the requirement on this motor and its the hottest of the bunch I believe. Its only tad more powerful than the Mega, but seems to be a LOT beefier in construction...

So here are my final choices (I think!) - help me decide:

1) Hacker B50-11L w/ Schulze 45He first on 10 cells with BEC. NExt with a Schulze 45Ho on 12 cells, no BEC

2) Mega AC 22/30/2 w/Schulze 45Ho on 12-14 cells

3) Kontronik Fun 600-18 w/ Schulze 45Ho on 12-14 cells OR with a Kontronik BEAT ESC

What motors do you guys think will be best and should I go with the Schulze 45Ho or the new Kontronik BEAT ESCs? Remember, I want all out 3D - 10 cells would be great with BEC, but am willing to run 12 or 14 cells (13 even Glen ) if need be.

Thanks guys, oh the agony of so many choices these days....

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2002, 08:33 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,151 Posts
I'll have some more data in a few days. I just assembled two 12 cell panasonic 3000HV packs, and installed a future 45Ho. I've had this all for a couple weeks but I was building my two fury extremes The YS80, by the way, is great,..the OS91 is obscenely powerfull.

Back to the logo,.. i was using the hacker master series 40-3P ESC and had some overheating (ESC, not motor) untill I put a PC cooling fan on the ESC. That seemed to solve the heating problem and power was good, but I was afraid to try more pinion to get more power,..as I though the heating of the ESC would come back. The schulze 45Ho was to replace the 40-3P so i could put a taller pinion on it,.. and the 24 3000 cells I bought were to try with higher cellcounts (yes I like to experiment). Hopefully I'll get to do some 10-cell, taller pinion tests, and some 12 cell tests this week. After that, I want to put the 15L back in and test with different pinions on both 10 and 12 cells,..to compare the low LV/taller gear option to the higher KV/lower gearing option. I think the higher KV motor, with smaller pinion, will be more efficient,.. but I want to prove it one way or another. I'll take some wattmeter readings, tach it, and check flight times. With the 15L, I plan on playing with gearing to achieve the same rpms on the head,.. then compare peak current, average current, etc. and also see how it handles the loads in flight. With the fun600-18, it would fly at about the same revs as now, but pulled into a maneuver, you'd load the head immensely, rpms would fall drastically,..etc. With the 11L, i don't see the loads affecting the rpms ,..hence the idea that the highKV/small pinion might be better,..or else the hacker 11L is just that much better than the fun600-18. Flight times were a touch longer with the fun600 which means I didn't have enough pinion on it to directly compare,.. but,.. that _should_ mean that it would take the cyclic loads better, which it surely did not do. Enough rambling ,.. let me know how you get along with it, in case you get things tested before I do. Keep in mind, I'm in an experimental phase and I don't guarantee what I'm using to work
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Apr 09, 2002, 08:35 AM
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Aug 2000
94 Posts
Jason: I am at the same point you are, can't decide on a motor/speed control combination.

Glad you started this post......Dave
Dave Willis is offline Find More Posts by Dave Willis
Old Apr 09, 2002, 09:57 AM
Mission Viejo, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
331 Posts
Hi!

I don't have a collection of motors to be able to offer you any direct comparisons but I can tell you that I am very happy with my Logo 10 running:

Hacker B50-15L
Future 45Ho
14xRC2400 pack
15 tooth pinion

I am getting 1740rpm head speed (I have the thrust bearing upgrade) and I get about 4 solid minutes of doing everything I can do and then another minute of 'regular' power followed by another 20-30 seconds of 'you must land now' power. If I just fly around I can stretch duration out to 6 minutes easily.

That beautiful heatsink the hacker comes with fits nicely between the Logo 10 side frames (actually, the sideframes expand just a little bit to accomodate) and works really well. The motor has yet to get above 55C.

The Future45Ho gets fairly warm... usually in the 70-75C range after a flight so I installed a CPU fan and run it off the main battery pack. This little fan, intended for 12 volts, really humms on 14 cells. Now the future never gets above 35C.

Nick
nullman is offline Find More Posts by nullman
Old Apr 09, 2002, 03:23 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
It flys so good on the 600-15 I have not tried the Mega yet.

With the lighter AUW of say 12 CP 1700's and the mega, I think it will be a good combo.

Looks like my gyro issue is taken care of so the Mega will get wrung out this weekend!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:45 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,495 Posts
14 cells on the Hacker B50L-15T? And 15T pinion to boot? Wow that's some massive power plant.

Do you have any problem with glitching? I have the exact same setup as you minus 2 cells, and I am getting occassional glitches.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:55 AM
Mission Viejo, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
331 Posts
Hi!

No problem with glitches. I did put a PCM receiver on right away so I don't know how a PPM receiver would behave.

Nick
nullman is offline Find More Posts by nullman
Old Apr 19, 2002, 05:52 PM
Wisconsin, USA
Joined Jan 2001
160 Posts
Any updates regarding the above "research"?
Helibee is offline Find More Posts by Helibee
Old Apr 19, 2002, 05:56 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Been working and it is raining and VERY windy! (for here any way) 1 flight last weekend it got blown all over, and that was to check the gyro.

Ready to go now!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Apr 19, 2002, 06:04 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,495 Posts
Tightened up the tail belt and experience less glitch now, but still that one or two occassional hiccups. I think this is as good as it will get, so I will switch to PCM soon.

Strange that all my previous belt drive helis recommend not tightening the belt too much, as it will rob power away from the motor. But between glitch and power loss, I think the choice is clear.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280