Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
RadicalRC Microstick Building & Flying part 2

Part two of the Micro and Mini saga.

Part one is HERE.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Last edited by Earthbound; May 06, 2005 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2005, 08:57 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Dave, If you want someone to get that latest Bipe into the air quickley PM me. I would power it like my Mini, CD ROM.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old May 06, 2005, 08:36 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
I'm going to take Dave at his word about slowing it down, as long as he'll give a guesstimate at the minimum pitch speed.

Tempting is either a feeble CDROM (say, a sixteen turn underpropped for efficiency) or maybe a geared IPS? Think a 2s with 7060 might work? Have to bury the gearbox ... I suppose the CDROM is more tempting.

Ah well. Soon we'll be able to find out...

Other Dave North
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Old May 06, 2005, 08:45 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Thats the nice thing about cd roms. Wind it for speed or wind it for torque.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old May 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Completely dorked my Micro today -- overzealous up elevator on the downline and stalled it full-tilt. Nose in, nice aeration in the flying field lawn.

The tail group, wing and all electronics survived just fine. A little problem with the motor can but nothing that (I hope) a little loctite won't cure.

Should be back in the air Thursday, the fuse being a piece of cake.

d
Old May 22, 2005, 08:33 AM
Like to build
Canton, Michigan
Joined Nov 2001
395 Posts
Add me to the list of dorked Mini Stick's. This has become my "standard" everyday flier. I take 4 charged Kokam 3s 340 packs and the plane, and have 40 minutes of flying in the mornings before the kids and the wind wake up. It's great. This plane really flies well. Reading these posts, there are many combinations that work well, but I can't think of a better set-up than the Astro 010, 6x3 prop, and 3s lipo. It screams at full throttle, has absolutely unlimited straight up vertical as long as you can see, and has lots of thrust. Never had an issue with the magnet not holding the wing on, and never had an easier plane to change packs on. I love it.

The only problem is you start practicing stuff lower and lower and lower...and once in a while it bites you...

It's certainly repairable, minor damage to the nose, and the center of the wing has been crunched. Otherwise in good shape. I'll have to pull the motor out, I think it popped the backplate off when it nosed in, and I'll have to check the battery carefully as it did bend up the front of it a little bit.

Given how fast these things build, I may just have to order a new one, along with a Micro this time.
Ken Kaiser is offline Find More Posts by Ken Kaiser
Old May 22, 2005, 02:22 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Ken,

Keeping a spare fuse on hand is a good idea. As predicted, I went down Tuesday and was back up Thursday with very little effort. It did turn out the MkII fuse was dead, so now I'm on MkIII (which I clean forgot I had already built...)

So far, I'm flying the original wing on my Micro without even a carbon leading edge. I do think skinning the entire center (not just where the servo mounts) is a good idea.

Other than some radio noise, MkIII is flying better than II.

Of course, sometime this year the Bipe will be out and the whole thing starts again... dang, they guy I sold my Mini to has it up for sale at a pretty good price. Maybe I should ... hmm.

Dave North
Old May 22, 2005, 03:22 PM
Like to build
Canton, Michigan
Joined Nov 2001
395 Posts
Yep...got my eye on that bipe too!

When I first looked at my wing at the field, it looked really bad, but it only took about 15 minutes to get it to this point...ready to cover. The front center section was obliterated, but once you cut away the covering and cleaned it up there was no damage to the spar or the ribs outside of what you see here.

I stuck an extra rib right in the center, just cause I felt like it, but I hadn't thought of sheeting it. It would definitely make it stronger, but I wonder if leaving the center section "sacrificial" might not be the way to go. It was very localized damage and easy to repair.

It will live to fly again!
Ken Kaiser is offline Find More Posts by Ken Kaiser
Old May 22, 2005, 11:45 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Ken,

I had a leading-edge bash on my Micro wing too, and nobody can even spot where it happened. They do repair easily and well! It's the covering that drives me nuts.

I like sheeting the center top for two reasons: first, the additional support and stiffness for the trailing edge where it butts the fuse -- that's a weak spot because the magnet lets the wing get rammed back against that joint. Even a slight wear there will make the wing far more prone to slip up and out -- whoops!

The other reason is I've found it's very handy to tape the front edge of the wing to the fuse. That way when I pop the wing open for battery-izing, the wing is much easier to manage ... and it's much less likely to come off in the air. The way the Micro dances around with a CDROM motor is downright scary. Usually I land before my battery is out of juice. Too much adrenaline. But those vertical climbs are so insane it's downright funny!

If I could figure out a way to hinge it, that would be better.

Gonna have to put a rudder on the bipe and make it a moderate-speed stunter. Wonder if it will hover? Wonder if it will ever exist? Wonder if Thacker just enjoys watching us all tap our fingers ... and actually, I wonder if the MoAV will ever be released (no, I don't want one, but I'm curious because it looked like it would fly really cool. Maybe I can talk someone else around here into getting one ...)

Dave North
Old May 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Second Ministick Crash

This morning Tom Hunt gave my second Ministick a test flight and everything was O.K. so he handed the Tx to me. It was flying great, loops, rolls, inverted, until I dove it toward us across the field and the wing came off at about 20 feet up: Lawn dart fuselage and fluttering wing. The damage was limited to the propeller, gone of course, and a few protrusions in the covering where the battery tried to come through.

As soon as I got back to the shop I made one of Craig Logan's wire clips - that wing won't come off anymore. The Micro and my other Mini will get clips too. I decided to make the next clips a little differently - I'll post pictures later on.

ronw
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Jun 01, 2005, 11:34 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,720 Posts
I talked Dave Blum out of his mini kit and built micro right before SEFF, and just got around to putting the mini together. I am using a prewound cd-rom motor from Aircraft-World, its somewhere around a 29t, but delta, and is a little screamer...gobs of power, and smooth. Just have to add servos at this point, and shes ready to maiden...prob this week or weekend. I never want to cut anything as small as those fuse crosses out of solite again..the wing ones werent that much fun either I added extra magnets, there are two in the wing, and three stacked in the fuse, for some extra security. Heres some pics:
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2005, 11:55 PM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,720 Posts
Btw,

I would gladly trade the built micro for another mini kit. Here's pics of it. Includes the heat sink mount, and looks like Dave used pico servos in it. Those of you who have seen his stuff know its built nice, no crashes. I just want another mini!

thanks
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2005, 01:01 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Just finished Mini

I just finished my first Mini. I have a Himaxx 2015-3600 spinning a 4.2 x 4 prop on a 1320 2s TP Lipo. AUP is 7oz. I have a Astro 010 w/plan. Gearbox that I intended to run in this BUT when I unscrewed the GB, the threads on the motor housing really prevent me from slipping the gear puller behind it. So now I am looking for a plane for that motor combo.

I hooked up a watt meter to my current setup and it is only pulling around 55 watts from about 3/4 throttle to full throttle. Im thinking that should be some pretty good top end. I will post flight reports after maiden. Only mods were nylon wing hold down bolt, CF leading edge, no landing gear, also ground down the front edge of the control horns to try and place the the holes directly over the hinge point. Also my add some cooling holes if the batt gets too warm. Other than that, its stock. It was a very easy build and if it flies good maybe get dear old Dad one for Fathers day.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Jun 05, 2005, 01:49 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Just in case you haven't seen it, there's a replacement for MicroFlight:

http://www.cloud9rc.com/

Dave North
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:10 AM
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Sep 2004
162 Posts
hey guys i have a microstick a gws edp-50x motor in it with 3x3 prop on it , it turns 18000 rpm but keeps throwing the prop. as it is only pressed on the motor shaft i what is agood way to keep the prop on ? has anyone else had this proplem?
haldayne is offline Find More Posts by haldayne