HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2005, 10:23 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
What's the difference between a GWS Dragonfly and a Walkera Dragonfly?

What's the difference between a GWS Dragonfly and a Walkera Dragonfly? Is there any difference?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2005, 11:49 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,332 Posts
Yea there is a difference, think of it like a ford explorer and a jeep cherokee, both are SUV's about the same size with the same function and the same type of parts, but put together differently, some parts are interchangable but most arent. The walkera dragonfly is a clone of the FP esky honeybee (in the us, or the twister in the UK, so i hear) so you can think of them (honeybee and walkera dragonfly) like a ford explorer and a mercury mountaineer, under the sheet metal they are identical, just different names.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 05, 2005, 11:53 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
First off I dont own a Walkera I own a GWS. So that stated and from only pictures I've seen of the Walkera #22, it seem to be the same head and controll links, untill you get down to the frame and the electronics. The GWS has a 3 in 1 board. Also the Walkera main motor in located under the frame where the GWS is on top of the frame. There are a few types of walkera DF's but I think the #22 is the one closest to the GWS. It also looks like the Walkera #22 has a gear drivin tail rotor. and uses seperates not a 3 in 1 board.
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63
Last edited by skip63; May 06, 2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old May 06, 2005, 12:17 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,332 Posts
yea the walkera #22D is Close but shaft drive tail. dragonfly #4 is closer, motor drive tail, I think the biggest difference I can see between the GWS dragonfly and the walkera dragonfly #4 is that the servos connect on differnt sides of the main shaft, on the walkera #4 the pitch connects in front of the main shaft and the side-side control is on the left (looking from the tail) and on the GWS dragonfly the pitch connects in the rear of the main shaft and the side-side on the left... that and a few other do-dad's are different, the landing gear looks pretty similar though....
Old May 06, 2005, 01:14 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Are parts that fit on the GSW compatible with the Walkera. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am clueless and I have been searching this forum for days.

Basically I am adding the rear tail with DD tail motor mount, a DD motor (obviously), and a Hi-Tec 56 servoe, which I know all of them fith the GSW, just tryng to make sure they fit the Walkera.
Old May 06, 2005, 01:24 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
Take a few parts to a local shop and compare them. Like I said, the head and controll links look real close.
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63
Old May 06, 2005, 02:18 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,332 Posts
Tail stuff will fit fine, Ive got a GWS DD tail on my walkera #4, as for the head I dinno, I KNOW the swash plate is different, as for the rest of the head, It certainly looks similar... if you find out the answer let us know...
Old May 06, 2005, 02:31 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
You can't just say "Walkera Dragonfly" - there's about five or six different types which are completely different.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old May 06, 2005, 07:49 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMorita
You can't just say "Walkera Dragonfly" - there's about five or six different types which are completely different.

Toshi
It's the Walkera #4.
Old May 06, 2005, 08:03 AM
Multi rotors and foamy planks
Bedford, UK
Joined Dec 2004
752 Posts
The Walkera #4 can vary too, mine has different components to others on the head, so even that can make it difficult to identify parts. The GWS Dragonfly in my opinion is almost the same as a HB. The Walkera #4 seems to be modeled on the E-Sky/Twister range, with whatever the factory had laying around at the time, having said that, an E-Sky main frame, although very much alike, wont fit the #4, because the mast is shorter, if you have a Walkera #4 parts are plentiful now on Ebay.

Most bits and bobs, skids, booms will cross fit the magority of micro's, just be warey when buying other bits.

The Walkera #4 is a breed all of it's own lol.
Biffa is offline Find More Posts by Biffa
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:16 PM
Willy
PA
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
I Need Help!!!

I just got a walkera dragonfly 22D and FMS. My problem is that my transmitter and computer do not work together! I have WIN 98 and can't seem to use my trans... to practice, only keyboard. I NEED HELP!!!
Thank you.
wwwinky29 is offline Find More Posts by wwwinky29
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:43 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwinky29
I just got a walkera dragonfly 22D and FMS. My problem is that my transmitter and computer do not work together! I have WIN 98 and can't seem to use my trans... to practice, only keyboard. I NEED HELP!!!
Thank you.
If you look at the title for this thread, it's "What's the difference between a GWS Dragonfly and a Walkera Dragonfly?".

You are referencing some sort of problem with FMS.

You should start a new thread for this, as it is completely unrelated to the original topic.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 20, 2006, 01:08 AM
Joined Jul 2005
210 Posts
ive had a few helis (walkera cp with shaft tail, humminbird v3 , honeybee cp, Hummingbird elite cp, and a GWS MDF) and my buddy has had nite ranger fp and a blade cp. We both fly gws MDF's now. Most of these heli's are very similiar to each other but usually none are exactly identical. There are small differences, bearing sizes, shaft diameters, little things. Some things are interchangable but not everything. I've found my MDF is the smothest and easiest to fly although the hummingbird elite is nimble just i need better motors and such. My MDF is basically stock with m24 blades, head stiffner, DD tail motor, pg-03 gyro, century 2 in 1 mixer esc, and stock 300 motor. I love it smooth as glass.
djs7795 is offline Find More Posts by djs7795
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:29 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
The difference boils down to about 25$ in cost, and about 75$ difference in the quality especially the electronics. www.balsapr.com and www.allerc.com sell the GWS for 160-170$ RTF with low or no shipping. So there is no savings going cheap.

It's said the #4 is a Sabre clone. There is enough difference from the MDF (GWS Dragonfly) and the HB (century hummingbird), that I believe it. having never had a sabre in my hands. IE the swash is a mirror image, the balls/links are slightly different sizes.

My understanding is Feda made most of these (or atleast the parts)at one time and manufacturers went their seperate ways and made changes along the way. Most notably with the MDF they added a electronics box. The MDF and HBv2 (not to be confused with the Esky Hbee FP v2) share many subassembly parts While generally as a whole they all share assemblies, as in you can interchange the entire head. The Walkera uses proprietary electronics so you can't easily upgrade to a better transmitter in preperation for the next level of heli. The others use negative shift and when you start thinking about getting a better heli you can buy a real transmitter and continue until the budget recovers. This gives you a good chance to learn the radio with a simple to setup heli you already know.

General consenses of previous owners of Walkera products is, they would never buy another, and wish they had never bought it in the 1st place (though there are exceptions). While most are happy with the Hbee FP v2, HBv2, and MDF. These are generally beginner helis and as such the reviewers have little to gauge against other than their expectations at the time of purchase which may leave them dissatisfied even with the better helis, which is understandable. IE they find it requires a certain level of skill to fly and think it sucks because it didn't leap out of the box and hover hands off on opening the package. Or tip it over on the first attempt and watch it do the headless chicken routine and are upset because the Xn1 board burned up on the first flight "never even got off the ground".

I've owned the GWS, Century, and Esky, FPs and find them all to be on par with each other in quality, flyability, and crashability. It truely is a dodge, chevy, ford thing with them IMO. I also bought a basket case Walkera #4 and never bothered to put it to rights as it seemed a waist of my time, and infact gave the parts away. Note I had a very good baseline of what to expect and wouldn't use the electronics which left me with putting good quality electronics in a cheap inferrior heli, an option I chose not to exercise.

Hmmm, that may have been more than was needed.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hopelessly hooked
South Carolina USA
Joined Jul 2005
781 Posts
Not at all....very well said Swatson.
Futura is offline Find More Posts by Futura