HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2005, 08:35 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Different Kind of Slow Stick, "Slow-G" build-n-fly

I've had a trusty GWS Slow Stick for quite a while now and wanted to do something different with it. One of our members who goes by iter posted a beta build thread over in the Gyro forum and his design really caught my eye. He uses a stock Slow Stick body and converts it into a Gyrocopter.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364026 is a link to his beta thread.

He was also selling a few of his conversion kits in the for sale forum so I picked one up. I got so enthused about what he is doing, I bought a new Slow-Stick. The guys that I fly with know I rarely spend any money on a new kit. I'll make the planes I have fly until they are sacrificed into my yearly bonfire to the lesser plane gods.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2005, 08:39 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I thought my photo discriptions were gone until I put my curser over the photos. Be warned, Firefox browser only shows one line....
Old May 05, 2005, 08:58 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
iter even weighed the blades so you can match them up and the balsa parts had arrows on them so they can be put together properly. If you scoped out the beta thread, you can read where I asked questions as I built the Slow-G.

I built the saddle first only because I had printed out those pages of his thread after printing the main thread. It went together in about half an hour, since I 've decided to paint my gyro area red, I used Model Majic to fill in any gaps that I had in the wood.
Old May 06, 2005, 11:19 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Got a bit more done on the Slow G this evening. The rest of the Gyro part of the plane went together quickly. I had it done in a bit over an hour. I went ahead and painted the wing part red and the blades black. This evening, I plan to assemble the Slow Stick so I can test fly tomorrow.
Old May 06, 2005, 11:35 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
The hardest part of the assembly was the GWS gear boxes. They come in pieces and I had to put tiny C clips on the shaft wearing tri focals. It took 15 minutes just to get the things on. I build out in a barn and it has a dirt floor. I keep a magnet on a stick handy so when small metal parts go flying, I can get them back!!
Old May 07, 2005, 12:20 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
That looks pretty cool Don. I wonder have you tested which has more pulling power if you drop an e clip in a fresh cowpie, in the barn, the pie or the magnet? Sorry, just have one of those inquiring minds you know.

I am wondering if this will do really steep landings like the real ones, kind of drop out of the sky to a hover. Looking forward to the flight report. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old May 07, 2005, 05:21 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
LOL Treetop!!

Naa, this isn't one of those Helping Hand or the incredable C.L.A.W.S. or whatever it was kind of threads. This one is legit.

Looks like Mike K hacked a solution together to get the photo descriptions to show without placing my curser over the photos!!

I didn't finish the Slow part of the G-Stick last night, I'll work on it this morning. I hate to attempt to fly a new plane at a fly-in. Too many guys laughing at you if you mess something up.
Old May 07, 2005, 06:27 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
"Too many guys laughing at you if you mess something up."

Funny how we are that way, huh, a bunch of women would be all sympathetic if you crashed your plane, we laugh. Guess that is why they call us hard tails. Of course one guy would be real sympathetic, then when a bunch of guys were around, he would start telling stories on you. Buddies. tt
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old May 07, 2005, 10:55 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Very interesting.
I wonder if you put brushless motors on the blades, would they fold the wing brace and attack each other?
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old May 07, 2005, 07:31 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Got the Slow-G fiished today and the thing actually flies!! Following are some of the finished photos after it made three flights. I threw a blade a time or two but they glued right back on and it was ready to go again. I've asked Ari a couple of questions about how the blade airfoil goes, hopefully he'll get back with me this evening.

I'll get one of my twins to take some in flight shots tomorrow. It ROG's in about 30-40 feet 10-15 meters. At first one side spun more freely than the other because one of the retaining nuts wasn't tight. Once I tightened it up, both sides spun evenly.
Last edited by Don Sims; May 07, 2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old May 07, 2005, 08:08 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Don can you tell me how this thing actually lifts off?
At first I thought that there were motors spinning the blades like a helicopter, but I sure don't see any. How does it stay up?
Thanks.
Old May 07, 2005, 08:25 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
D, Check out the Gyro Copter forum. I have been looking for a cheap gyro for a long time and this gets me into the market. I don't understand the dynamics of how they fly but I've seen the James Bond Movie Gyro plus some full scale gyros from the 1930's flying around this area. They really are intreging to me.

Up in Oshkosh there are some at the EAA fly-in every year.
Old May 07, 2005, 08:28 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
The forward motion of the plane causes the blades to spin which creats lift and off she goes is the simple version!!
Old May 07, 2005, 08:34 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Thanks I get it now.
That is a great idea, the faster you fall the faster the blades spin creating more lift so in the end you don't fall fast at all.
Old May 07, 2005, 08:37 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
...and its you to blame!!

Was going to the hobby store to get 2 servos and an Rx, came home with 2 servos, an Rx, and a Slow Stick. (Without motor) I just could not bare to avoid this awesome design. Will contact Ari about the gyros.

This is just totally !

And Tree Top's comment helped, too.

Thanks guys, I feel like a hippy for yelling at my gril for doing things like that.
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J