HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2005, 07:08 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Question
It's on the way! GWS PICO MOTH! [advice plz]

Just ordered a GWS pico moth! Slope Kit.
Need some advice on parts and stuff.
Got the slope kit.

Going to use a 2C lipo 7.4 V 1050 mAH battery
Not sure what motor to use...
Got the slope kit so I can customize it.

ICS-300 J GWS speed controller ok to use?

Trying to stay on a budget.

Go with a GW/IPS motor?
CD-ROM motor? Those expensive?

Not looking for speed. Just long flight times.
Be flying indoor and small areas.

thanks
Mike
maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2005, 08:53 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
I'm using this one mine. This combo comes with motor, gearbox with gws stick mount, esc, [propeller, and battery. All soldered with connectors already, just plug and play.

www.e-flightline.com click "combos" on left side. I have used these combos on all my GWS warbirds. Love 'em.

Warbirds 12-16 oz
Himax 2015-4100
Castle Creation Phoenix 10
Cobri 20 7:1
APC-9x4.5
Tanic 3s 1050
$176.50

NJF72
NJ Flyer 72 is offline Find More Posts by NJ Flyer 72
Old May 06, 2005, 03:35 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Hi maarset,

I just built a slope PicoMoth to go alongside my stock PicoMoth.

Taking account of your comments about being on a budget I'd recommend you go to www.allerc.com and get their strengthened strut kit and their 280 motor conversion, which will set you back a very few dollars. BTW whatever motor you decide, get the strengthened strut kit - its a great improvement on the flimsy plastic stock parts.

What you'll then end up with is a plane which shares the original (to me, important) PM characteristics of being incredibly slowfly and "forever" duration on a LiPo (recommended 110 NICAD is a complete PITA) but which has more authority in a breeze than the IPS powered version and which, with its little direct drive prop (comes in the motor conversion kit) looks much more scale and sounds pretty good too.

I can fly mine in a 3 foot radius circle round my head! Haven't got round to trying it in the house yet (- mind you now I think about it she's away this week - maybe this would be a good time........?)

I was worried that the 280 motor would give me a balance problem but it turned out not to, although I'm using a slightly smaller LiPo. You will need to do some foam shaping BEFORE you glue the fuselage halves together and remember not to cut too much away from the U/C supports in the same area. Try and fix it so that you have some fore and aft adjustment choice on the battery position.

You could try it with the IPS first first and then do a retro fit but the IPS uses a stick mount which you'd have to saw off because the 280 has a bulkhead type mounting.

Edit - I just checked - the strut kit was $7.95 and the motor conversion $8.66 - plus shipping
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old May 06, 2005, 09:32 AM
Lexington, Ky
Joined Apr 2004
421 Posts
My TM has a 300D and a 1250 lipo. I guess the 1250 is too heavy for a 280, which is not able to get the plane off the ground. Additionally, to balance the plane the battery has to go inside the fus at the rear of the lower wing.
Condre' is offline Find More Posts by Condre'
Old May 06, 2005, 11:37 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Thanks Roger!
Ordered the strut kit and 280
Old May 20, 2005, 06:45 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,658 Posts
Will the Pico Moth fly on an IPS Dual Drive and an 8x6, 9x7 ot 10x4.7 prop? I'm trying to use as much of my gear I have laying around as possible.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old May 26, 2005, 08:48 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Try a Johnson J250 in a GWS 100 Gear Drive (c). On a 9047 prop it has horsepower to spare, is light and super cheap.
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 29, 2005, 10:58 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I've flown my two PTM's for many many hours, really torturing and crashing them, and have yet to have the stock struts break. I used flying wires, makes the wings very strong. Also keeps the wings from flexing in a loop, which is good.

Mine have also had plenty of power on stock IPS drives although I went to the Feigao brushless to save on motor replacement costs (I fly my planes alot). If you're going to use 7.4v and want to go brushless I wouldn't get the Lensrc types (which I believe are just like cdrom motors?) as they tend to favor high voltage. The motors aren't that expensive, it's the controllers that set you back. With a 7.4v lipo, though, the IPS should be more than adequate and no modding to get it on the front.

Right now I get about 10-12 minute flights on the 8.4v 300mAH stock batteries on my brushless and it will almost hover if I want it to (which is way more authority in the wind than the Tigermoth will ever need as it will only go so fast, even with a rocket on the front, as it's very draggy). I got the same flight times, although it wouldn't "almost hover," on the stock motor. I can see this plane in stock form easily flying in a basketball court. Easily. The lighter you go the more fun you will have. I realize you're on a budget but you might consider two 750mAH lipo's instead of the one larger one. Just to save on the weight which will slow speed and increase flight times. And increases the fun.

Either way, the stock IPS is more than enough oomph for the Pico Tigermoth.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old May 31, 2005, 09:55 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Hey Wufnu
When you say "two 750Mah lipos" do you mean a 2c lipo? @750mah?

I was thinking of going with a "2C lipo 7.4 V 1050 mAH".
Might be too heavy Wufnu?

If not do I widen the area where the stock battery goes to fit a wider lipo?

Mike
Old Jun 02, 2005, 10:23 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
bump
Old Jun 02, 2005, 10:32 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I have flown with a cd-rom motor and a 2s700 (Etec and Kokam both were fine).

Personally, the dual IPS is a great buget choice.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Jun 04, 2005, 02:01 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Yes, 2 cell 700mah lipo's should fly around quite nicely. I would probably go with multiple smaller batteries, just to save on weight. Weight is important. It really is night and day when you remove even half an ounce off this (7oz) plane.

I would add that I received my lipos today, one 3 cell 700mAH. I also ordered a 450mAH 11.1v lipo and flew it first. It saves about half an ounce off the total weight from the stock batteries, has unlimited vertical in spades, and I flew it about 20something minutes today. If you had two batteries, that would be all the fun you could handle no doubt.

Keep in mind, the 3 cell lipo's will eat up a brushed IPS motor, I use them on a brushless feigao motor on B gearing with a 10x47 prop. 2 cell 700mAH lipo's should weigh quite a few grams lighter than the stock batteries, definitely not too light but keep in mind the lighter the plane the better. You surely couldn't go wrong with a 300-500mAH 2 cell batteries on stock motor.

The 1050 would probably be too heavy and flying it wouldn't be very fun, and you would definitely destroy your motors faster as running them at 3/4-full throttle almost consantly is going to burn that motor into dust, and believe me when I say that 700mAH max is more than you would ever need in terms of longetivity. I would get two 300-500mAH 2 cell lipos, if I were going to do it with a stock brushed motor.

As for where to stick the lipo's, that's up to you. You're going to want them as far forward as possible. To get mine to balance without adding dead weight, that meant modifying the stock battery area. I ripped out the front, widened it, and deepened it with a taper in it so I could squish the batteries in for added security (instead of velcro). I haven't had one fall out yet, the cowl pretty much keeps them in so the friction hold is just added security. Get everything as far forward as you can and go from there.

To be honest though, I probably wouldn't use lipo's without a programmable ESC and definitely not during my first two stock motors. You're going to crash, and sometimes land a bit hard. Would hate for a lipo to pop and burn your fine aircraft. My nimh's have taken quite a beating, had plenty of power, were cheap, and with three stock batteries I could fly all day. Only drawback was the weight but even so it flew very nicely, easily within a basketball court (one of the big high school ones, single court).

Whatever you get, be sure you get a heat shield for the motor and mod the cowling/fuse to throw some air over it. Keep the heat down, reduce the wear, save the motor. You get to flying every day and before you know it your performance is down and you need another motor.
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Jun 09, 2005, 02:30 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Awesome advice Wufnu. Thanks very much! Went with the Lipo 700mah 2c.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:56 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
It Flew!

It Flew!

Took the pico moth to the baseball diamond this morning and it flew awesome!
Super easy to fly!

280 motor direct drive
7.4 VOLT ETEC 700 MAH battery

With the 280 direct drive does it fly faster
than with a gear power system? Like a IPS?

Tried flying it im my backyard and it flew a tad fast.

Thanks again everyone for your help
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:49 PM
Wayward Pilot
USA, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Sep 2001
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
With the 280 direct drive does it fly faster
than with a gear power system? Like a IPS?
Tried flying it im my backyard and it flew a tad fast.
Thanks again everyone for your help
Yes. The IPS drive with a larger prop will give you more thrust at the expense of speed. The stock drive is the IPS "A" gearbox with a 9x7 prop. Makes it a wonderful calm wind/indoor flyer.

If you decide later to try a brushless setup, I recommend a LensRC (www.lensrc.com) 17 turn cdrom conversion on the same 2 cell pack. With an 8x6 prop you'll get incredible thrust, long flight times and no added weight.
Jim
JREEVES is offline Find More Posts by JREEVES