HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by DrBill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 05, 2005, 02:12 PM
I need a new plane STAT!!
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
841 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
I need a JR radio for parts

Broke the flap switch on my JR XP7183...JR/Horizon wont sell/send me the toggle switch..insisting I send them the radio...seems silly to me, they will keep the radio at least 2 weeks (likely 3-4) and charge me an arm and a leg for a $.50 piece that takes 30 seconds to install...so...
If anyone has an old JR radio that has a viable 3-position switch (flaps, etc..) and it is either unrepairable or obsolete...and wants to either sell me the radio or better yet the switch I will be forever thankful! Thank you!
Or if anyone has replaced this switch with any commercially available one..let me know!

DrBill
DrBill is offline Find More Posts by DrBill
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2005, 02:24 PM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Have you EVER sent a TX to them????? I have 3 time 2 of which where under warranty and one that was not. In all cases it cost me nothing {other than shipping} They fixed 2 of them and shipped them back to me the day they got it and the other one they kept for 2 days. Give them a try. I bet you will be happy. I sure have been.

A very happy JR customer.
Lee
elp914 is offline Find More Posts by elp914
Old May 05, 2005, 02:46 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
841 Posts
Hi Lee,
The radio is more than 5 years old so it is not under warranty. I did call them and was quoted 2 weeks and at least $30 with parts and labor. As I said it is a 30 second fix to switch out the part (radio shack equivalent is $2.29) not includ. S/H...I am an engineer so I feel comfortable doing it...its not a matter of not trusting them to do it..but I would be out my radio for that amount of time, thus no flying, and since it is not essential I can still fly with out it currently. Thanks, I may still have to send it in if I cant find one.
Old May 05, 2005, 02:58 PM
Lubbock Texas
Joined Nov 2002
459 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
Hi DrBill
When I sent my 442 which is the old one. I expected it to take a while and be costly. It was back in a week and they charged me nothing. I didn't call them I just mailled it in. I guess I was lucky but thats is the out of warrenty service I got from JR.

Good luck
Lee
elp914 is offline Find More Posts by elp914
Old May 05, 2005, 05:42 PM
sticky toed flyer
Methuen, Mass, United States
Joined Sep 2004
371 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
I may have a unworking 622 in my hanger. I am not sure if I disposed of it already.
If I have it I will let you know tomorrow. You may not even have to wait for shipping
depending on where in RI you are.

Rick
reptilerick is offline Find More Posts by reptilerick
Last edited by reptilerick; May 05, 2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old May 05, 2005, 05:49 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,185 Posts
Trader Rating: 126
Radio South has JR switches. The last ones I bought from them were about $11 each.

JR/Horizon needs to reverse their new policy. It really does not serve us well when they refuse to supply parts to us.

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old May 05, 2005, 08:06 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
841 Posts
Thanks Mr. RC-CAM! I agree..I was told by their service rep. that indeed it was a new policy and that it had to do with liability and the fact that all other radio manufacturers were doing the same.

DrBill
Old May 05, 2005, 10:00 PM
INDEPENDENTLY POOR in OHIO
Joined Dec 2001
1,028 Posts
Trader Rating: 87
Thought I had one, but no luck my switches were all two position and 1 momentary on

Have you tried your local radio shack,seems to me I've seen 3 position sw's there

That is not a new policy, I needed gimbal parts for a 642 couple years ago and could not get them. Wound up buying a TX here and canibalizing it for the parts I needed.
Cost me $60 but was worth it cosidering the spares I gained and not being forced to send it in.

Good luck, Roger aka GIFLYRC
GIFLYRC is offline Find More Posts by GIFLYRC
Old May 05, 2005, 11:25 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
841 Posts
Yes, I have thought of RS...they have some 3 position but not exactly the same specs as the JR ones...may do in a pinch though!
Thanks for looking Roger, I appreciate it anyways!

DrBill
Old May 06, 2005, 09:20 AM
Joined Apr 2005
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
JR radio

sent you a PM message.
540tflier is offline Find More Posts by 540tflier
Old May 07, 2005, 12:42 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Trader Rating: 101
If someone has a bad radio, I need a back case assembly.I really would appreciate it. Let me know how much you want. (It's a XF 631 but they look to be the same until you get into the real expensive models.)
"Someone" hit the handle on something and broke it out of the case.
Thanks
Tom
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old May 07, 2005, 02:06 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
841 Posts
To all who inquired:
I replaced my switch with a 3position mini-switch from Radio Shack that costs $3.29.
Total time of assembly was 5 minutes including letting the soldering iron warm up. Testing the switch it worked fine..even came with different colored toggle switches!

DrBill
Old May 07, 2005, 11:26 PM
sticky toed flyer
Joined Sep 2004
371 Posts
Dr Bill,

So sorry I didn't get back sooner. I got really crazy at work.
Glad to see that you found a solution.

Tag if I can find that radio I'll let you know. I just wrote myself a note
to look for it in the a.m.
Old May 08, 2005, 12:00 PM
sticky toed flyer
Joined Sep 2004
371 Posts
I found that radio. It is a xp642.

It is a little beat up but toggles andthe gimbles still work fine and the back side of the
case is very usable.

PM if interested

Rick
Closed Thread