HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

04/05 Peoples Electric Jet Design Contest

After a great design and build time, the final entries are in. Check them out and cast your votes.

Splash

Introduction

Many moons ago, I thought it would be a good idea to get everyone's creative juices flowing and get some more jets out into the sky. So with a bit of probing to see how much interest there was, the 04/05 Electric Jet Design contest was born.

Interest was very high, and as the deadline to enter the contest came, there were over a hundred 'entries' that over 60 individuals intended to finish. Because of the great number of entries, it was decided to split the contest into those using EDF's and those that were Pusher prop driven. In the end we received 16 completed entries, which I present to you here.

I want to thank all those that entered, and all the effort they put into getting their designs done and tested. I think we ended up with a good variety of jets, and everyone will find something they like.

Please click the photo of each aircraft to read the article on each model, and then head on over to the contest polls posted in the EDF and Pusher jet forums (for each of the type of entries).

EDF Entries

F-84-F: Niels Jaetzold

ZippyJet: Fred Niemi

Harrier AV-8B: Eugene Haban

SU-33: Niklas Borin

T-33: Ed Waldrep

Jedi Star Fighter: Patrick McGrath

Convair YB/RB-58A/55-669/10 Hustler: Larry Lewis

S-57: Jason Galbraith

JA-37 Viggen: Bora Aykut

Sukhoi S-54/55: Eric Barnett

Blohm & Voss P-188-04: David Stack

F-22 Raptor: Ed Waldrep

F-4 Phantom: Matthew Wherry

Pusher Entries

Arvo CF-105: Bruce Dealhoy

Cutlass F7U-3M: Roger Winger

Thunderbirds F-16 Formation Flyer: Matthew Wherry

Sponsors/Supporters

There was a considerably large amount of support for the contest. Here is a list of Vendors/Individuals that have pledged their support and what they have offered:

And during the contest the following vendors provided discounts for all the contestants:

Last edited by Arbo; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM..

Discussion

Old May 05, 2005, 01:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Just want to thank all those that put their time and hard efforts into getting their entries ready for the contest. Even those that didn't quite get there. All the work is very much appricated, and hopefully we'll see more of each of these designs out and flying in the future, as well as see those that didn't quite make it continue on and get their projects in the air.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2005, 07:08 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
I'd like to congratulate all the contest entrants, and finishers, and those yet to finish for there great Ideas, and contributions to this hobby. It's been a lot of fun following all of the people who took the time to publish there build threads, I wish more of you had done the same, but in either case we can enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

I think we had a very diverse list of entries, some very obscure jets that I had never even heard of before, and a lot of my favorites. I'm a bit disapointed to see that an XB-70 entry didn't make it, I was really hoping to see one, as that was my 3rd choice for an entry (Mine was the Aurora Spy Plane) however I am VERY happy that my 2nd choice, the F-22 Raptor DID finish the contest. WAY TO GO ED!!!!

Of the entries that did start build threads, I enjoyed reading about IsLewis's B-58 Hustler project the most! That was a great build, and a great plane, based on an actual aircraft that Lewis had the honor of working on in his younger days. WELL DONE LEWIS!!

If there are any RC aircraft companies looking for new build idea's, you need to look no farther than the Contest entry list for some great aircraft ideas, put forth by the people who love to build and fly them!

I hope we have more contests like this in the future, It has been a great learning experiance for me, and one that gives me a very healthy respect for the people and companys that design and create the planes we love to fly!!

RCParkFlyer
Tom - Milwaukee
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Last edited by RCParkflyer; May 05, 2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 07, 2005, 07:34 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Where do you vote?
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old May 07, 2005, 08:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
TT,

Go to the Jet forums (edf and pusher), and there are polls at the top of each forum for each category.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 07, 2005, 11:25 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Thanks Paul.
Treetop is online now Find More Posts by Treetop
Old May 16, 2005, 09:12 PM
Balsam Grove, NC
Joined May 2004
14 Posts
Just missed getting in on this contest! I have an XB-70 , an F5D Skylancer, and SAAB Draken, all pushers, scratch built. When's the next one? I'm stoked!
skylancer is offline Find More Posts by skylancer
Old May 16, 2005, 10:03 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
I'd like to see that XB-70 pusher
Old May 17, 2005, 11:19 AM
Balsam Grove, NC
Joined May 2004
14 Posts
The XB-70 is a little guy, 16 inch WS, 3.5 oz w/o battery. Depron and blue foam construction, GWS IPS motor, Cirrus ultra micro equipment. My F5-D skylancer and SAAB Draken are both built up, powered by Astro Flight 010, great flyers and my pride and joy. Will post photos soon.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:38 AM
Balsam Grove, NC
Joined May 2004
14 Posts
A couple of photos of the XB-70, held by my co-pilot, Mil, and the F5-D and Draken.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:02 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Wonderful job on all of them, Congratulations!!
Old May 18, 2005, 01:45 PM
Balsam Grove, NC
Joined May 2004
14 Posts
Thanks much. Great avatar, BTW.
Old May 18, 2005, 02:26 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Feel Free to use it or one of the others.