HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2002, 08:57 PM
aka ben wilson
louisville, ky, usa
Joined Mar 2001
832 Posts
HLGs/DLGs on the cheap, one mans journey :)

Welp, i happen to live in louisville, and saw bruce davidson chucking about last june, and decided to look into the idea of a DLG. However, i'm a cheap, cheap bastard. And the DLGs, well... thems some classy ladies.

Aaaanywho, i picked up one of the last Red Herring DLG's from thermal gromit works , and it flew well, but it was made of styro -- which considering my nature of using my servos in any number of planes that i fancy, didn't hold up too well (styro will fall apart, and is really meant for permanent fixtures). it is still in flying condition, and was a good stiff craft that wing launched very well, but is now waiting for a bit of an over-haul. My Red Herring Gallery

Next up, i have a Noseeum from Aerofoam , which is made from some spongy EPP, and is a great, hardy, light ship. However, i can't get her to launch quite right DLG style. Maybe she's a little too flimsy (she's got a spar! She's got strapping tape! What more can a man give!), and the CG is a little touchy.

Now, i had some stuff left over from the NoSeeum, and i found a great foam glider called the "Ultra Flyer" with straight good wings that i intend to turn into at least a small HLG, if not a cheap little DLG. So, here continues my cheap HLG/DLG journey! My YellowBelly Gallery

Really, i just intended this post to generate some feedback on cheap hlgs/dlgs and others experience. So far, i've found it is VERY possible to do. Now, you may not get the HUGE heights, but for a fly-anywhere, any-time craft, these can't be beat. Anyone have any other CLG (Cheaply Launched Glider) experience?
thelocust is offline Find More Posts by thelocust
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2002, 06:48 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2001
314 Posts
I like your own design. I have also been playing around making HLG's but none really to post up yet - but soon. A quick observation - are you going to use ailerons ? if not you have no dihedral in the wings so the rudder will not be effective. I reckon around 4" either side will work nice !

Cheers and good luck

Tim
mr_wood is offline Find More Posts by mr_wood
Old Apr 09, 2002, 06:53 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Thanks for the idea! I had built a SkyRider into a somewhat swept 48" wing and had no clue how to build a pod, but now you have given me an idea. I'll use a pod out of BlueCor foam and an extra arrowshaft for the boom. Very cool!!!!
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Apr 09, 2002, 07:17 AM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Not a glider, but the "Wally Wing" foamie hack uses the cutdown fuse of the Sky Rider as a pod. Might be useful in this application. All he does is slices off about 9" of the nose and cuts off the top and bottom and builds a little tray from coroplast to hold the equipment. Very nice and lightweight.

I will watch this thread because I have bought a few of these gliders to motorize, but I'd like to give gliding a shot as well.
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Apr 09, 2002, 11:24 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
I posted a note on the foamie forum about non-electric wally wings and the only note of encouragement I really got was from Ken Hardlock indicating that I could make a pod out of styro just like a wally wing. However, since the blue foam is so light and a heck of a lot more durable than the styro I think I will use it instead.

I am also going to watch this thread closely. Like I said, I have my wing now I just need to make the rest, add batteries and servos and away we go!
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Apr 09, 2002, 12:13 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,162 Posts
The Bug has been mentioned a lot on this forum, and before this forum was created, on the Electric Sailplane forum. RCM sells the plans and it's cheap to build. Here's the discussion group website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/
The little Nipper might also meet your needs.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/littlenipper/
John Gallagher is online now Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Apr 09, 2002, 04:36 PM
aka ben wilson
louisville, ky, usa
Joined Mar 2001
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Gallagher
The Bug has been mentioned a lot on this forum, and before this forum was created, on the Electric Sailplane forum. RCM sells the plans and it's cheap to build. Here's the discussion group website:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/
The little Nipper might also meet your needs.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/littlenipper/
That Little Nipper looks interesting! Howard Locke designed the Red Herring, and I really enjoy flying it, thought my cores are crumbly styro! I like the side-arm design, and frankly, i think it's the only way to go! There is no reason why we can't have a foam-based side-arm, DLG style plane! Hopefully, that is what i'll find with this "YellowBelly". More work tonight -- maybe a test flight if i can sneak into the neighboring field!
Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:36 AM
aka ben wilson
louisville, ky, usa
Joined Mar 2001
832 Posts
yellowbelly completed!

test flight tomorrow!

My YellowBelly Gallery

Old Apr 10, 2002, 12:20 PM
aka ben wilson
louisville, ky, usa
Joined Mar 2001
832 Posts
test flight report!

well... lets just say that the test flight today was "promising". And i mean that! I really do.

It was slightly gusty, but a good day for thermalling, wind about 5-7 knots or so. I give the yellow-belly a toss, and she glides just great, however because i've only got ailerons on this puppy, she don't turn too well. (i'll probably use this wing/boom with a powered plane here shortly). The wing seemed to like speed more than just hanging about,.

It launched predictably, and the cool thing was that it side-armed even better! That is a reasonably good sign, methinks. I don't know if this wing foil is going to be suitable for hlg or not, but i am to find out!

So, my next steps are:

rudder control (no ailerons)
a lighter, smaller pod
some dihedral, w/ maybe a longer wing
a longer boom
Old Apr 26, 2002, 10:20 PM
Chemically Corrected
San Diego, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
682 Posts
Had a ball today letting the seagulls and pelicans chase my fan-fold foam mini sidewinder down at the beach. 42" wingspan and weighs about 6.5 oz, I just massaged the top panel section LE's over a closet rod and glued flat sections on the bottom, with some more of the 1/4" foam wrapped and glued around the radio gear. Fly's great, and it sure is nice to have something to thrash down at the cliffs without much worry about losing a couple of bucks of foam as long as I can get the radio gear back.
Grapeape is offline Find More Posts by Grapeape