HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2002, 08:40 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
North Texas/DFW Area Electric and Gas Fun Fly Fly-In!!!

The 2nd "Annual" Texas Gas and Electric Fun Fly will be held at the Richardson Radio Control Club Flying Field. The event is scheduled for Saturday May 4th, beginning at approximately 9:00 AM and ending around 6 PM or whenever everyone leaves or it gets to dark to fly. The rain/wind alternate day is Sunday May 5th (same times). The field is in Bratonia Park, Lake Lavon area in North Dallas/Texas.

This is a unique event for several reasons. First, it is FREE! That's right, no landing or admission fees. There will not be any official contests, however there will be a small rafle to help cover club costs. There will also be food and drink available (this is prepared by a club member [hot dogs and hamburgers]) for purchase on field. There will also be a port-a-john on site.

The event is designed to get people together who like to fly and trade ideas and just talk modeling. This is an Electric Power friendly field, so come on out. They also have some really neat I.C. Powered planes that will be there flying as well.

Schedule:
9am - 12pm : Fun Fly for All (available frequency, bring your frequency pin if you have one)

12pm - 1pm : Lunch with a one hour Flight Demonstration from several Electric and Gas fliers (pattern, helicopter, EDF, big guns, combat, etc.) Sit and watch and enjoy some food.

1pm - 6 or whenever : Open Fun Fly for all.

Here is the RRCC website for club information and directions to the flying field: www.rrcc.org

Also, feel free to contact either Fred Welsh at 972-468-0962
or me [Cash Traylor] at electricrcflyer@attbi.com for any additional information. Come out and enjoy a day of fun flying!

-Cash Traylor
Cash Traylor is offline Find More Posts by Cash Traylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2002, 04:48 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Anyone know any F5B/D guys?

I am trying to work out some last minute details about the 1 hour "Demo" flights lunch time event for this fly-in. I am trying to find someone, who plans to be in attendance, that has a high performance F5B rig. I think some of the I.C. powered folks would be highly impressed by a ship that climbs out at 60 deg at 100+ mph and makes level passes at over 150 mph!

If anyone knows someone who participates in F5B competition events, and would like to come give a 10-15 minute demo and informational presentation on high performance flight, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Contact me via email or pm.

Thanks in advance,

Cash Traylor
Old Apr 11, 2002, 04:38 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Link to event information flyer!

This is a rather large PDF file, so be patient on download (600K).

Adobe Acrobat Reader Required

http://home.attbi.com/~electricrcflyer/tgef.pdf

Includes map to field - is printable.

-Cash
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:38 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
This is great. I went to the Fort Worth fly-in, I'm going to the Texoma fly-in and now this one. This will be a great warmup to the SEFF I'm planning to attend in June.

Are their regular electric flyers out there the rest of the time or just IC?

Thanks

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:46 AM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
Regular Electric or I.C.

This is still primarily an I.C. club. However, they are expanding into electrics for smaller sized planes. The club embraces electric and there are currently about 15 electric flyers in the club (100+ membership). I only fly electric, and it's where I fly and one of the clubs I belong to (DEAF is the other).

Hope to see you there!

Cash

(P.S. Still looking for an F5B Hotliner demo! Anyone?)

This is a great opportunity for the rest of the membership to see a broad range of electric aircraft (partly why we're hosting the event) so bring out your "special toys" and show them off.
Bring anything you want to bring to fly, only turbine is not permitted right now due to airpace issues (not really big enough for sustained 200MPH planes).
Last edited by Cash Traylor; Apr 12, 2002 at 11:49 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2002, 08:27 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Cash,

Were you able to find anyone to demo?

How many to you expect to attended this weekend?

Do the IC flyers tend to stay away on this day?

You mentioned this Fly-in is a join effort with DEAF. I go to their website occasionally and they don't update it. There is a mention of the 2002 DEAF Fly In at another RC field but no date for this event. Is DEAF dying or is it just an informal club?

Thanks

Kelvin
Old May 03, 2002, 03:05 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Winds look favorable. Hope the rain stays away. Windcast if for 1PM Central.

Kelvin
Old May 03, 2002, 04:15 PM
Dallas, Texas, USA
Joined Feb 2000
363 Posts
DEAF Site and More

The DEAF website is.. Um, in the process of being replaced with a new domain. I help update the site, but just haven't had time and the webmaster hasn't touched it in a while. The club is pretty informal right now - but that will soon change with the new rules from AMA coming out this year. DEAF as an event though is alive and well and will happen next year at the Dallas RC site and probably about the time this is listed.

This event is the Texas "GAS" and Electric Fly-In. Hence the IC guys are out there also. That's the point, getting everyone to come out and fly and share ideas and enjoy the hobby. Hence why I want people that have the larger and more "impressive" electrics to come out. The IC guys want to see that electric doesn't necessarily mean small. Also, I still need someone that has a real seriously powerful and fast F5B ship to bring it if they can. The winds look good and I have no idea about the rain.

It isn't suppossed to rain all day even if it does rain at all, so I hope to see plenty of people there. I haven't finished my rebuild on my Miss America, so I won't be bringing it (I know I know, it's been half a year... but in the meantime I've been trying to get my private pilot's license... ok!)

I'll be there and I hope to see many of you!

Also, for the record, RRCC is a gas AND electric flying club with about 10 electric flying members out of its 100+ membership. However, most of these guys still fly the small electrics (unfortunately all I have to bring is small this time) so I hope some bring out a few big planes. However, bring whatever you got - flying is flying!

-Cash
Old May 03, 2002, 04:27 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined May 2002
15 Posts
hey there fello Dallasites! I wanted to speak to the DEAF guys about some kind of club affiliation! I am the co-founder of Zagi-Extreme and we hold events about once a month. I think we could benefit greatly by working together. Do y'all have Zagi flyers in your organization? how many? it may be better to talk on Yahoo messenger. My screen name is Pirk685.
Law Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Law Dawg
Old May 04, 2002, 06:27 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I want to thank everyone envolved for putting on a great event. I had a wonderful time.

Kelvin