Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 04, 2005, 11:04 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Discussion
NONI juice-magic potion or snake oil?

Noni juice has been around in the marketplace for a number of years, and until recently, I had pretty much dismissed it as just another fake potion that is multi-level-marketed with a lot of claims about it's mysterious healing powers.

A few months ago, my boss bought into the hype up to his eyeballs, and has since become a distributor of the stuff. He pitches it's wonders to me almost daily, giving me pamphlets to read and DVD videos full of anecdotal stories and testimonials. He also tells me how it rapidly cures his cold sores, makes his arthritic joints feel better, etc.

In the interest of keeping the peace and inserting some objectivity into my own preconceived notions about it, I am currently about 2/3 of the way through a 90 day trial of the stuff. So far, the results are inconclusive. I suffer from fairly severe arthritis, and I have noticed perhaps a bit less pain in the mornings, but that may be coincidental or psychological. One thing that is conclusive is the ever-increasing hole in my wallet ($40/bottle).

Most of the web-based research material appears to be tied in some way to the major Noni juice distributors/infrastructure, so I am dubious of the objectivity of their 'scientific research'.

Any experiences or thoughts to share out there, either way?

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Last edited by ElectRick; May 04, 2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 04, 2005, 12:09 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
794 Posts
If it worked Wal-Mart would sell it........cheaper...

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old May 04, 2005, 01:30 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Does it have alcohol in it?

If not, can you mix alcohol with it?
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old May 04, 2005, 01:34 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Nope, no alcohol, as bottled.

You can add alcohol to most ANYTHING. In the case of Noni juice, it would absolutely improve it's taste 100%. The stuff leaves an aftertaste in your mouth that tastes like an old dirty gym sock smells.

Rick
Old May 04, 2005, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
I suffer from fairly severe arthritis,

Rick
Yo Rick: Is your arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? If so, have you tried or looked into Methotrexate? The people I know on the stuff say is it a wonder drug for them--and they have tried em all.

http://arthritis.about.com/cs/mtx/a/mtx.htm

Kurt
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Old May 04, 2005, 04:11 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnut
Yo Rick: Is your arthritis Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? If so, have you tried or looked into Methotrexate? The people I know on the stuff say is it a wonder drug for them--and they have tried em all.

http://arthritis.about.com/cs/mtx/a/mtx.htm

Kurt
I have psoriatic arthritis--the 'two diseases for the price of one' form of arthritis. Psoriasis AND a crippling form of arthritis. It's considered a rheumatoid form (as opposed to osteo), only worse.

Methotrexate--yeah, been there, done that. The problem with a lot of prescription anti-arthritis drugs is the side effects they have (not to mention the constant blood/liver monitoring and cost). Methotrexate was originally used as an anti-cancer drug, which means it targets rapidly growing cells (like hair and skin). I was having some side effects with it, so I discontinued it.

I want to find something non-pharmaceutical, that has few or no biological side effects. I have been taking either prescription or OTC Anaprox (Aleve) every day now, since mid-1998. That HAS to be doing some damage to my liver and upper GI tract.

I calculate that I have taken between 15,000 and 18,000 200 mg. Anaprox tabs or caplets since I was first diagnosed. I don't think my liver's too happy with that.

Rick
Old May 04, 2005, 04:14 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
It's bogus. Plain and simple. What are the ingredients? Find out and make your own if you really want to drink it but if it were the miracle cure these people always claim then it would be marketed by RJ Reynolds or Bristol Meyer.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old May 04, 2005, 04:28 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer
It's bogus. Plain and simple. What are the ingredients? Find out and make your own if you really want to drink it but if it were the miracle cure these people always claim then it would be marketed by RJ Reynolds or Bristol Meyer.
It's made from the Noni fruit (aka Indian mulberry), which grows only in a few South Pacific islands, like Tahiti, the Cook Islands, Hawaii, and Fiji--so it would be impossible to 'make your own'. The brand I am using has grape juice and some water mixed in, in order to make it more palatable. Even with the grape juice it tastes pretty awful, unless it's ice cold.

There is a convoluted story my boss tells me about the development of this particular brand, which includes a lot of stuff about 'patented processes' and such. Supposedly, Dole Pineapple was growing and trying to market it out of Hawaii back in the '60's or something, but they abandoned it for some reason, and these guys picked up the rights (or something like that). The bottom line seems to be that Tahitian Noni, Inc. has a pretty good clamp on their formula and how others can process the fruit and market it. There are other companies that sell it in various forms, but they all are shrouded in mystery, and all make similar claims about it's powers.

What I'm looking for is anecdotal or scientific evidence that it either works or doesn't, that isn't tainted by the financial influence of the companies that sell it or is not backed up by some concrete research.

"It's bogus, plain and simple" doesn't quite fall into the realm of scientific research.

Rick
Last edited by ElectRick; May 04, 2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old May 04, 2005, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
Methotrexate--yeah, been there, done that. The problem with a lot of prescription anti-arthritis drugs is the side effects they have (not to mention the constant blood/liver monitoring and cost). Methotrexate was originally used as an anti-cancer drug, which means it targets rapidly growing cells (like hair and skin). I was having some side effects with it, so I discontinued it.

So sorry Rick. This hits close to home. My brother had JRA when he was eight, and I've watched that disease basically eat him up, joint by joint for forty years. He's in a wheelchair now, homebound, with really no hope for improvement. He's prolly got 5 years till he needs to hire a nurse or move to a care facility or in with us.

Methotrexate stopped the disease dead in its tracks, but the damage to the joints was already done and they just ground away. I can only imagine how he'd be if the stuff was available 20 years sooner.

JMO, but I've seen the end game of this disease, and I would GLADLY put up with some side effects (even if it meant shortening my life) if I could stop my body from eating itself.

Good luck,

Kurt
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Old May 04, 2005, 05:50 PM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
Keep us posted Rick. I've wondered about it for a while now also. Currently I'm slamming glucosomine for my joints.
And don't buy into the line if the major pharmaceuticals don't sell it, it doesn't work.
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old May 04, 2005, 06:32 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Sounds to me like the ever wonderful fat cream "JUST RUB IT ON AND WATCH IT BURN THE FAT AWAY" The truth is unless you eat better and workout with much cardio and change your lazy habits you are still gonna be fat. All these companies try to sell a great product but a strict diet always comes with them. I would believe your potion will have similar claims when you state it is worthless.
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old May 04, 2005, 08:46 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
A little bit OT from Noni juice, but I have found that taking ground ginger capsules daily provides significant anti-inflammatory relief in my affected joints. I was skeptical at first, but after taking 4-5 caps every day for about three months, I was able to cut back from popping 6-8 anaprox daily, down to two, and sometimes one, a day. As a bonus, there are no documented or observed side effects from its use, it's natural, and it's cheap.

As an aside, it also gives instant relief from a sore throat if made into a tea and gargled or sipped hot. It works--I tried it. My ex-wife turned me on to that little tip.

I have suspended the ginger regimen while I am testing the Noni. If I don't get the same or greater relief/benefit from the Noni, I am going back to the ginger. The idea behind trying the Noni was to see if I could get some of it's other alleged benefits, like lowering of blood pressure, improved sleep, anti-oxidant activity, reduced stress, improved liver function, along with the anti-inflammatory effects from the natural COX-2 inhibitors it is supposed to contain.

Rick
Old May 04, 2005, 09:59 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,045 Posts
I am a physician...I only say that to preface that I know much about prescribing pills. I would say that most herbal claims are nonsense. Yet some have been tested to be true.

My father had pancreatic cancer. I was on the Hopkins website reading up on the disease when I found that there were studies that fish oil helped pancreatic cancer patients gain weight.

I did a medline search and found hundreds of articles on fish oil....I figured there was literally nothing to lose. My dad gained back 22 pounds in several weeks. He was so happy. Yet no oncologist I spoke to seemed to endorse fish oil....Then I found "Prosure". It's a brand of "Ensure" nutrient drink for cancer patients. It has fish oil in it.

I think w/o some company to push a product some beneficial medicines get overlooked. I would suggest doing a medline search on any herbal drug you are going to take. They are dangerous like any other prescription medicine. You can mess up your liver with a "natural" drug as eaily as any other.

After all cigarettes are all natural. -ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old May 05, 2005, 02:17 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
moving to Tahiti and drinking Noni juice will lower your blood pressure....
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old May 05, 2005, 10:51 PM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me11owman
If it worked Wal-Mart would sell it........cheaper...

Jim

Now that's a good one!
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman