HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 04, 2005, 10:22 AM
Curse you Red Baron!
North & East of Sacramento California
Joined Apr 2004
567 Posts
Yippee!
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #19, Loved and respected by Beginners and Seasoned Flyers

Hello And Welcome To Thread 19.

It has not been even a month ago that thread 18 was started. So in less than 30 days "we" have gone over 500 messages.

If you still do not have an Easy Star, get one and you will see why it is such a loved airplane. Perfect for those wanting to start and not sure of which way to begin. And wonderful for those 'seasoned' pilots who just want a plane to enjoy a fun but EZ (Easy) flight.

Here is the link to part 18, Multiplex Easy Star Thread #18, Voted By Owners To Be The Best Airplane Ever!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356824

This forum is for those who love there Easy Star (EZ) and have made many modifications to it.

From time to time you will see other "off topic" items come up. That is because this forum has become like a large family.

So come and join in on the fun.

Welcome to the family, the family of EZ owners.

Brandie
Grassy Knoll is offline Find More Posts by Grassy Knoll
Last edited by Grassy Knoll; May 04, 2005 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2005, 10:33 AM
"SARGE"
Fairfax Station, (Northern) Virginia
Joined Jun 2003
3,150 Posts
TreeTop,

Yep, the foam is cracked a little, however, it's being held by the tape on the other side. I'll put a small 1/4" piece in there. I already have one at the top on that side.

Sarge
sargentw is offline Find More Posts by sargentw
Old May 04, 2005, 05:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
899 Posts
I have taken Jim's advice and removed the inner sleeve from the rudder control rod. The action is so much smoother now and the servo does seem a lot happier. The rudder moves smoothly however I still have the pronlem of it not centering consistantly. Having the connector on the horn closer to the hinge than standard and using a larger tail (2 dummy credit cards) will make any problems more apparent. Perhaps I am worrying too much!

I am still waiting for a still day, the weekend forecast is not so good, to make my second days flights and see how it flies with the mods.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old May 04, 2005, 06:08 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Oh yeah! Define 'gentle'! :D

Quote:
OK, I've put my EZ* together and tried to toss it gently with motor off... attached pic illustrates it path to the ground... doesn't give me any clue is it "normal" or not. any thoughts?
I don't own a throwometer so I can't tell you precisely how hard I throw mine. Some folks say "Football" grade throw, that's too hard in my book as the force I'd put behind a nice spiral would probably make my EZ* actually climb or even overstress the wings. Then again, I like for my receivers to 'go long'...

So, to describe my toss, it's a smooth path, step forward once, full follow through, and usually into some tall grass, at least 6 inches high (15cm for those normal metric folks). It lands 'slightly' on its nose, bottom side of it and slides to a stop on its belly. That's normal and would be considered a decent landing even under power. If it's hitting the very tip of the nose, you may be too nose heavy. Try moving the battery back a smidge and giving it another toss. It should appear to 'glide'. If not, then you either don't have enough umph behind your toss or you are VERY nose heavy. To test, move the battery back about a half inch and toss with the same force. If it still nose dives, you aren't throwing hard enough to make the plane 'fly', put your battery back forward where it was and toss harder!

An EZ* with motor off coming off of full speed and slowing down for landing should land on the forward portion of its belly and slide out nicely. Most of the EZ* landings I've seen are power off at about 4-6' from the ground and glide in. Some folks wait until about 2' to cut the motor, others glide all day and don't have any motor on at all when they land! It's and extremely versatile plane from everything I've seen!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Last edited by Shaun Hendricks; May 04, 2005 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling, clarity and grammar... yeah, I goofed up bigtime! :p
Old May 04, 2005, 06:15 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Vladm-
On another thought, take a ruler edge and put it fuselage direction under the horizontal stabilizer. If you see 'light' on either side of the elevator 'hinge' area, not the hinge groove itself, just the stabilizer rear and the elevator front, then your elevator is reflexed 'down' and that will nose dive the plane also. Try a little up trim or reset the elevator push rod connector forward a little more on the push rod to level it out. That's all I can think of besides what's already been mentioned, and I think this was too but just covering the bases!
Old May 04, 2005, 11:36 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
That's why I am easy...

Buddy’s EZ in foreground, my beloved bird behind.

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old May 04, 2005, 11:40 PM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
I have a new desire…it’s ok…it is Multiplex and it is elapor…and it looks good

http://www.multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm
Last edited by Hammer Head; May 04, 2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old May 05, 2005, 12:54 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
Sarge, I sort of knew you would have the tear issue covered.

Bearded Flyer says: "The rudder moves smoothly however I still have the pronlem of it not centering consistantly."

I wonder if it might be the "play" in the hole in the servo arm. Mine seems to do this as well occasionally. Just a slight offset rather than the rudder sitting even with the stab.

Only occasionally does there seem to be an effect while flying, sometimes it seems to sit this way and produce a slight turn, but by just bumping the stick against the turn, it centers. I suppose the play in the servo hole could be fixed by putting a tiny tube on the bend or connector where it passes through the servo arm, then if the tube is too big, trying to increase the size of the hole in the arm to fit it snugly, but it hasn't been enough of a problem to cause me to go to all that trouble to fix it. Does yours cause problems during flight? tt

Bill Lumberg, that thin CA is really dangerous stuff, I had no idea it had run down between my thumb and finger, couldn't feel it at all.

Astroglide? sounds like a flying product.

-----

Thanks Brandie for starting the new thread.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old May 05, 2005, 01:34 AM
Does it come in Flouro??
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
706 Posts
Hammer Head

You need to get on over to:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...25#post3706316

and see what we have been talking about over there!
Mine has been trying to work out what is should be called: "Mario", "Zap-ata" (it is glued with Zap-a-Gap) or "Mona Easa".

All contributions gratefully accepted!

Cheers

Numb Thumbs
Numb Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Numb Thumbs
Old May 05, 2005, 06:51 AM
HoleDigger
Darwin
Joined Oct 2001
151 Posts
for any aussie lurkers out here looking to get an EZ* modelflight.com.au now has them in stock.

I just ordered one for $AUD99.00. Talk to chris@modelflight.com.au.

Happy flying dudes
firstdegree is offline Find More Posts by firstdegree
Old May 05, 2005, 10:19 AM
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs
You need to get on over to:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...25#post3706316

and see what we have been talking about over there!
Mine has been trying to work out what is should be called: "Mario", "Zap-ata" (it is glued with Zap-a-Gap) or "Mona Easa".

All contributions gratefully accepted!

Cheers

Numb Thumbs
Thanks for the link...sweet...I am on my way over to that thread now...HH
Old May 05, 2005, 11:44 AM
TN, USA
Joined Feb 2005
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
usually into some tall grass, at least 6 inches high (15cm for those normal metric folks).
wow! you are the first American I see confirming that metric system is superior (I'm from Europe)

Shaun, thanks a lot for explanations - I'll give it a try (as soon as this @#$ rain will be over)

Vlad.
vladm is offline Find More Posts by vladm
Old May 05, 2005, 11:53 AM
tissue for issue
Beavertown Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
324 Posts
19 threads, 1000s of posts, about the same plane.
wired one is offline Find More Posts by wired one
Old May 05, 2005, 11:58 AM
Did you get the memo?
West LA, CA
Joined Jan 2005
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladm
wow! you are the first American I see confirming that metric system is superior (I'm from Europe)
Well make me the second. Ask any engineer and I'm sure most will tell you the same. The english system is a messy disaster. BTW my EZ makes its maiden this weekend!
BillLumberg is offline Find More Posts by BillLumberg
Old May 05, 2005, 12:19 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladm

Shaun, thanks a lot for explanations - I'll give it a try (as soon as this @#$ rain will be over)

Vlad.
Didn't say it was superior... just acknowledging that us Yanks are too stubborn to give up our antiquated measurment system even though 'officially' the US is on the metric system.

Personally, there are advantages in each system and I use both when necessary and sometimes interchageably. Kinda like Roman and Arabic numerals. Each has their place to be used for a given effect. At least we aren't using cubits!

I'm curious to see if you get your EZ* gliding well. It shouldn't be too hard. It's pouring rain here in Central California as well... starting to think about building an Ark... maybe I need to look up a cubit again after all!
Closed Thread