HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2005, 12:51 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
665 Posts
Landing skids. Not much flexability at all. Idea!

I've noticed somthing and it's landing gear skids that don't flex at all. The ones that are made of aluminum tubing bends and dents or it's some sort of plastic that with enough strength in a small crash will snap. I was thinking that maybe two of those little fishing rods would really do good by cutting two of them at the right spot and stripping them of the eyelets and using them as skids. I know everyone has seen how a fishing rods bend. I'm just tired of small crashes doing the landing gear in. I'm going to try this and will post pics, any comments on this upgrade possibility, would be welcome.
skip63 is offline Find More Posts by skip63
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2005, 01:18 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Softer landings?

In all honesty, which heli ??
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 04, 2005, 03:01 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip63
I've noticed somthing and it's landing gear skids that don't flex at all. The ones that are made of aluminum tubing bends and dents or it's some sort of plastic that with enough strength in a small crash will snap. I was thinking that maybe two of those little fishing rods would really do good by cutting two of them at the right spot and stripping them of the eyelets and using them as skids. I know everyone has seen how a fishing rods bend. I'm just tired of small crashes doing the landing gear in. I'm going to try this and will post pics, any comments on this upgrade possibility, would be welcome.
I have no issues with the skids, but find that replacing CF legs (on micros) with piano wire increases the flex and removes the snap from the equation.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old May 04, 2005, 05:06 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Is it a micro heli? Music wire.
http://vinceherman.net/rc/LG.jpg
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old May 04, 2005, 05:19 AM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
i use stainless steel tig welding filler rod and have a had a heli run over by a car and the blades broke but the skids just keep kicking
Supersix is offline Find More Posts by Supersix
Old May 04, 2005, 05:34 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Absolutely agreed on the music wire for landing gear. It works great even on bigger heli like Shogun

and

It survives many many crashes

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran