SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2005, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
Whoops!
E-Flite Ultimate Wing broke in flight

Hey Guys, I got a chance to fly my E-Flite Ultimate today for the first time since I built it about 2 months ago. Anyway, I got it up quick using full throttle and took off in about 5 feet! Once I had it up about 150 ft or so. I pulled the power off a little and proceeded to trim it. When finished, I proceeded to power up and do a loop. Well, that's when the Ultimate hit the fan. The upper wing broke clean away from the plane turning the rest into a guided cruise missile. I was able to land it under control (HIGH SPEED). Anyway, the plane seemed to be a good flyer but I noticed the notorious pitch up mentioned in other threads. However, I have learned my bi-plane lesson. Anyway, I'm taking the equipment and putting it into my 3DFoamy G-202 Pro. I'm sticking to mono-planes for awhile until I get ready to try the bi-plane thing again. Let me know if anyone can relate or advise. Thanks

------------------------------------------------- Jason
Cudaboy is offline Find More Posts by Cudaboy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2005, 05:52 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudaboy
Hey Guys, I got a chance to fly my E-Flite Ultimate today for the first time since I built it about 2 months ago. Anyway, I got it up quick using full throttle and took off in about 5 feet! Once I had it up about 150 ft or so. I pulled the power off a little and proceeded to trim it. When finished, I proceeded to power up and do a loop. Well, that's when the Ultimate hit the fan. The upper wing broke clean away from the plane turning the rest into a guided cruise missile. I was able to land it under control (HIGH SPEED). Anyway, the plane seemed to be a good flyer but I noticed the notorious pitch up mentioned in other threads. However, I have learned my bi-plane lesson. Anyway, I'm taking the equipment and putting it into my 3DFoamy G-202 Pro. I'm sticking to mono-planes for awhile until I get ready to try the bi-plane thing again. Let me know if anyone can relate or advise. Thanks

------------------------------------------------- Jason
Did you power down on the downside of the loop? These planes are slow fliers and don't do well at high speeds. Also, what type of glue did you use. CA is very brittle and doesn't hold up well on the E-Flite Ulitmates. Try Gorilla glue. It's light and strong, but takes 8 hours to cure. Or try 5 minute epoxy. It's a little heavy, but works well too. Sounds like you should be able to put it back together. Try it again with different glue. I've got 2 of the Ultimates, and while they're not the best fliers out there, they hover really easily and can take a lot of abuse. There are some other threads here that have some important modifications that you should make to strengthen the plane and make it more durable. Do a search and you should find them.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old May 04, 2005, 05:17 PM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
If you run carbon braces in the wing like the Tensor this doesn't happen, you can also use kevelar.
Keep'em Flying,
Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell