SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2005, 06:47 PM
Joined Jul 2004
47 Posts
Help with my New Shogun Set-up

Well I took the plunge and bought a Shogun a few weeks ago. After a shaky start. It's up and hovering. However I have a couple of problems I haven't been able to work out. Here's my set-up:

Chilli Pepper 4200kv Brushless Motor
9 tooth 2.3mm .5 module Pinion Gear
Phoniex 35 Speed Contoller
MAP Shogun Antenna
TP1320 Lipo -3S
MS-044 HH gyro
Hitec Electron 6 Receiver

The first is the most concerning and I don't know how to resolve. After about 5 mins. on the battery with the tail holding steady the heli starts rotating (nose left). I haven't a clue as to why this would happen. Any Ideas?

Secondly, while in hover the pitch will suddenly change randomly at a rapid rate. I've been fearfull of getting too high off the ground because this makes the heli hard to control. I'm assuming this is gliching. Is the Electron 6 receiver know to be susceptible to gliching?

Thanks in advance. I've been reading posts for six months or so and gained alot of information from all of you. Hope someone can help with these issues.

John
John_C is offline Find More Posts by John_C
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2005, 06:57 PM
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Jun 2004
425 Posts
hello, i think i may help a little about the tail moving on you...are you using the stock pushrod system used to drive the tail?? If so i had some problems with that bending a little and not being strong enough to handle the tails torque very well.

what i did to solve this is to buy the boom shaft servo mount and the CF push rod kit. This works great and i havent had a problem since, if you dont want to boommount it, you can still use CF as you connector to the tail. \

The reciever might be a problem, i would check all your wires and make sure an antenna wire isnt touching a battery lead wire, servo wire, anything...

hope this helps..

chris
SilverHeli2000 is offline Find More Posts by SilverHeli2000
Old May 03, 2005, 07:08 PM
Joined Jul 2004
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHeli2000

what i did to solve this is to buy the boom shaft servo mount and the CF push rod kit. This works great and i havent had a problem since \

chris
Chris Thanks: I do have an upgraded boom shaft, sorry I didn't list it earlier.

John
Old May 04, 2005, 12:47 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
could be a faulty servo or interferance.
turn the gain up on the gyro, to a point just before it wags.
Make sure you have revo mixing off
cheers
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old May 04, 2005, 01:20 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
List your setup and post a picture if you can.

After that 5 minutes, how much charge does the battery take?
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old May 04, 2005, 02:55 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
When I started learning to hover with my shogun a few months ago, when I start seeing the nose moves left, I know the battery is low. With fresh charge battery it does not happen. Later I found out that the TP1320 pack had one baloon cell. so the voltage dropped real fast even after fresh charged.
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old May 04, 2005, 04:24 AM
Joined Aug 2003
631 Posts
Is the gyro enclosed in the canopy? the better question is, is the gyro getting warmer through the flight due to battery/motor heating them up a bit? gyros are very sensetive even to temperature, so if you are getting a temperature variation during the fight it will throw it out of calibration... an easy way to check is land unplug the battery for a second or two and take off again, if its good it may be the issue, if its still a problem then it probabaly isnt (cutting the power to the gyro and plugging it in again resets the gyro and makes it recalibrate).

If its getting warm, perhaps a move to cooler/stabler climates might be in order... i.e. a boom mount for the gyro.
Cheers
Will.
Cerberus is offline Find More Posts by Cerberus
Old May 04, 2005, 07:29 AM
Joined Jul 2004
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
List your setup and post a picture if you can.

After that 5 minutes, how much charge does the battery take?
I'm not sure. It's a new battery and I don't have a charger that gives the total change number. I have one on order and can check the battery when it arrives. I've check many two cell batteries that I've used on my FP heli but I'm not sure of the best way to check balance on the TP1320. Any suggestions?

John
Old May 04, 2005, 07:31 AM
Joined Jul 2004
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
Is the gyro enclosed in the canopy?

If its getting warm, perhaps a move to cooler/stabler climates might be in order... i.e. a boom mount for the gyro.
Cheers
Will.
Will: I'll check this out tonight. My MS044 is sitting in the rear of the battery compartment. I checked out the motor temperature the other day and it was at about 170 after about 6 mins. I'll try your procedure tonight but you may have the answer to the gyro issue.

thanks,
John
Old May 04, 2005, 11:24 AM
Joined Aug 2004
56 Posts
If you are holding steady and then after 5 minutes the nose starts to wander it is just a matter of the battery losing juice. Less juice = slower head speed = less torque = altered rudder trim!
rockrob is offline Find More Posts by rockrob
Old May 04, 2005, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2004
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrob
If you are holding steady and then after 5 minutes the nose starts to wander it is just a matter of the battery losing juice. Less juice = slower head speed = less torque = altered rudder trim!
Thanks to all. I tried resetting the gyro after things had heated up. But, the rotation was still their. The pitch problem was really bad today, I hit the ground rather hard, luckily I was only a foot or two high. I also put a couple of glitch reducers in-line on the pitch and motor inputs --no help.

I then pulled by GY240 and Berg-5 from my FP. All the problems resolved. Tail holds steady, I seem to have more power(?)/lift and the glitching seems to have resolved.

I had originally tried to order a Berg-6 but with the change in ownership they seemed to be in short supply. I've seen posts indicating that the Hitec receiver was OK, but I seemed to have either a bad unit or something.

I also wanted to try the MS040 - not impressed so far although I must admit I changed out both the gyro and receiver. I also monted the GY240 on the boom. So I'll hold judgement on the gyro for now. But, the GY240 seems much easier to set up.

John
Old May 04, 2005, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
The rapid pitch change is glitching. Don't know why the collective servo is affected more than the others but it is.

You'll need to try to isolate the receiver and antenna away from the motor and controller which is where most of the noise is generated. For me it was the antenna that made the difference. I've got a deans and I point it forward which seems to work.
hikscub is offline Find More Posts by hikscub