2,976 Posts
6 Foot 3D Naboo Fighter

In not so distant future
of the 5th year post
the second millenium
a small patch of earthling sky
here in the USA will be conquered
by 6ft Naboo Fighters.

May the force be with me and anyone following this project.

After much research and not finding a scale RC 6ft Naboo Fighter plane, I've decided to tackle this project. My goal is to make the model as aerobatic as possible. A friend of mine started some preliminary drawings but they weren't to scale, so I've taken the challenge to redesign it and build it from scratch. I'm going to attempt to remain as faithful to the original look of the model but I going to first start with a profile RC foamie, if all goes well, I'll then build it full scale with all the bells and whistles. I've already built a similar size glider of the same model and it looks very promissing.

I'd love to have some sponsors for RC equipment that I can use on this project and post the results here. Otherwise, It may take longer until I can have the budget I need to complete the model.

For starters, these are the model specs/requirements:

3 channel elevon, upgradable to full aileron control, but not necessarily using
ailerons as on a typical airplane. I am going to try a few configurations for control and see which one provides the simplest and most aerobatic control without compromising the original look.

6 foot long model
wingspan 40"
Dual 400 BL motors, thinking Himax, Hacker or similar (geared with large prop)
or Dual BL 3 to 4" diameter fans
Dual Conversion 6 Channel Receiver
HS81 servos
2000 mah or higher amperage 3s Lipols
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2005, 06:46 PM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
woah! cool! are you gonna flessh out the fus. outrunner things? you could cover them w/ some solite or something. would add cost though. i would suggest using a small scale mockup to test the controls on.
maux is offline Find More Posts by maux
Last edited by maux; May 02, 2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 02, 2005, 06:48 PM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
PS. elivons seem like the most practical/obvious control setup. im sure you have thought of why.
you could try something crazy like two motors right infront of where im sure you will have the control surfaces so they will have greater effect on the craft. (control surfaces, right on each 'wing'?)
Old May 02, 2005, 06:53 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
I'm hoping to get sponsors of equipment, it would really help me get this project moving fast and select the best possible combo. I am almost done with the basic profile shape and hopefully this coming weekend I'll test it with some inexpensive GWS 400 carbon brush geared motors, should work for preliminary tests.
Old May 02, 2005, 06:57 PM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
what do you think of where the control surface should be?
PS. i wouldent hold my breath on getting sponsorship
Old May 02, 2005, 07:04 PM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
what sort of radio equipment do you have? if you have decent mixing options you could add a 'dual elivator' thing so when you hit the down elivator it would punch the 'lower elivator half' and direct the craft down, and visa versa. or you could cut out bits of the tail and just make it into a simple, small elivator, wich would do ok also i think. if you, like i, invision the aileron control surfaces on the wing areas then i think there will be additional need for more rearward controls. btw, by 3d, you do just mean 3 dimensional, yes?
Old May 02, 2005, 07:12 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
for control, I am planning on tilting each of the side engine pods, I'm hoping to get a little more crisp response this way for spirals and in particular for vertical hovering which is part of what I want the model to do. The first and probably most obvious would be to use elevons on the wings, like most flying wings do and that will work fine and will also keep the engines static. I haven't found any documentation that describes the actual control system of the fictional model, as in the movie. As we all know, most of it is special effects. If it were real it could have been designed with thrust control for turns and perhaps engine pod movement as I am thinking of doing it on the RC model, I don't know, maybe even some other form of technology. Help me obi one.
Old May 02, 2005, 07:22 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
actually, I've done other projects on similar basis and have been fortunate to get some companies interested in sponsoring rc equipment, hopefully this project will be interesting enough for some new companies to sponsor their equipment, in particualr BL motors, if not, no sweat.
Old May 02, 2005, 07:29 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
I do have several transmitters to test with, some have advanced mixing, but I favor a basic 4 channel one, it keeps and forces one to stay as simple as possible, at least for starters, until I can get the first model flying. I'm thinking for the full scale one I'll need a programable transmitter perhaps for a more elaborate control and for other details I am going to throw in to the design.
Old May 02, 2005, 07:36 PM
"$$Crashable Income$$"
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,068 Posts
oh good jezux, i see. this IS your small scale!!!
ok, well what do you think of where your gonna put the control surfaces, motor/motors ect?
Old May 02, 2005, 07:50 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maux
oh good jezux, i see. this IS your small scale!!!
ok, well what do you think of where your gonna put the control surfaces, motor/motors ect?
actually, it's pretty big, compared to what I normally build and fly but I think the particular design of this model lends itself to be built big to be better appreciated, yet to be seen, I'll video tape it once I get it flying, hopefully everything will come out as I am hoping it will. I want to ultimately hide the motors and I'm thinking ducted fans would be the choice for the final model. I'm still playing with the placement of the equipment for best CG, as well as tweaking the design as I move along.
Old May 02, 2005, 08:07 PM
The God in God-mantooth.
is
Joined Feb 2005
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadetx
After much research and not finding a scale RC 6ft Naboo Fighter plane...
Hahaha Not even ONE scale 6 foot Naboo Fighter!? What is this, COMMUNIST CHINA!!!
Mister E man is offline Find More Posts by Mister E man
Old May 02, 2005, 08:11 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
for inspiration
Old May 02, 2005, 08:56 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
WOW!
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old May 03, 2005, 01:42 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
doesn't look like much, but one good thing about building it profile first is it's giving me a better understanding of some minor weight issues. The current location for the CG requires that the equipment be located way at the front, near the nose, which should be fine since most 3D foamies share similar equipment placement, but I'd still like to be able to put the battery, servos and receiver closer to the trailing edge of the wing. As it stands the model still needs to be sanded down for a better appearance before I paint it, and while at it, I'm thinking of removing some material from the tail section to lighten it up a bit. The full scale version will need to be built carefully so not to make the tail section too heavy, but since more material will be used for the front of the pod section, wing and side engines, I think it will have a better CG and the equipment will have much better mounting options, especially with 2 ducted BL fans.