Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 02, 2005, 11:40 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Discussion
Jarhead Slow Stick Club Part II

Continueing on where Part I ended. If you would like to see Part I it can be found at:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325387
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2005, 01:17 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
www.skrogg.com/sun.wmv
A video from Sunday
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old May 02, 2005, 02:50 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Great video! Ya'll are definitely my kind of rebel-flyers! The loop landing was too cool.
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2005, 03:58 PM
Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
155 Posts
Too Much Fun!!!

I am having a blast modifying my SS. I am still using the GWS 350 with D gearbox and NiMH/NiCD batteries, and she flies great! I only had one battery, so I always had to wait between flights while it charged. This past Sunday at Area 51 (the bowl some of us fly at here in Gilbert, AZ) a couple of guys came up to me and asked if I was the teacher flying with just one battery. I admitted that I was and they gave some NiMH and NiCD batteries they no longer use (they all use Li-po's). Thanks again guys! I have met some wonderful people in this hobby.
TimAZ is offline Find More Posts by TimAZ
Old May 02, 2005, 06:55 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Battery Recommendations

Think I'm carrying to much weight..

looking for NiMH batteries that will give me 10 to 15 min fly time (longer would be better, but want to keep it lite).

Motors used

EPS 350 C D gear
EPSD 350 D gear
single EPS 400 G gear
and dual EPS 400 G gears..

anyone have recommendations for the NiMH (don't wanna go LiPO yet,,

thanks Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old May 02, 2005, 07:40 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
what do you have for a battery now?
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old May 02, 2005, 11:16 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
jswjimmy ++++ Servo City 7N1600AA NiMH 8.4 V 1600 mAh

Length Height Width Weight
3.92 .575 2 6.9oz.

Jack
Old May 03, 2005, 12:19 AM
Baltimore
Joined May 2005
20 Posts
Help!

Hey Guys, I just ordered a GWS Slow Stick from Tower Hobbies a few days ago (It should be here soon! ). And I have some gear from a micro heli that didn't work out for me . I wanted to see if you guys could tell me (just from looking) if I could put this gear in a Slow Stick. It has every thing I Need (I think) RX With Two Servo Plugs and a motor plug, Two Servos, Battery... Any thing else? I'll eventually save for some better gear, but for the time being this is all that I have. If you think that this won't work, I guess I better get saving my pennies! Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Oh Yeah! My Heli I bought off of ebay for $99... not exactly name brand stuff here But still it's all in good working order.

P.S. Your forum has got me hook on Slow Stick... And I Don't even have one yet!!!
SkyRCJon is offline Find More Posts by SkyRCJon
Last edited by SkyRCJon; May 03, 2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 03, 2005, 07:36 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,859 Posts
TimAZ, nice looking plane! That would stand out in a crowd.

Jack, It's possible your pack can't take the amp load. This means the motor never reaches it's potential, and LVC is earlier than would be expected from 1600mah.

The often suggested Kan 1050's will give 10+ minutes of good flying. I have managed 27 min with 1100's using a 400 motor. The CPB 1150's look even better, but I haven't tried them.

I often fly with Kan AA 1400's though and 15 min is easy with them, and it doesn't fly like it's heavy. The CBP 1650's look better here.

Any of these will work well with one motor, but for two things change. The AA's could handle the current if propped for 8 amps per motor, but of course flight time will drop. The 2/3A packs could be wired in parallel to do the job but this gives you a 10oz+ pack(7 cells each). Add that to twin 400's plus the needed strengthening and it's going to be a heavy plane.

A better option may be a single 400 and a 10 cell pack, still propped for 8 amps. This will give you vertical performance with much longer flights than twins. In this case Kan 650's or CBP 750's could be used for near brushless/lipo performance other than flight time. These packs could also be paralleled when duration is desired over performance. They could also be used on a twin for @7oz pack.

Also twins on 7 cells will be much slower at top speed (unless you change gearing), yet the lowest speed will be faster due to the added weight.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old May 03, 2005, 08:41 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Ron H +++ thanks... guess I'm gonna get some new batteries..

THANKS Jack

edit : someday I hope to learn /understand some of this stuff so I don't have to ask so many questions..

thanks
Old May 03, 2005, 10:52 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,859 Posts
Well, let's try to explain some. A 400 will turn a prop at a set rpm. Say a 1365 is prducing 18oz thrust on 7 cells. If you add another motor to the same pack, this will not double thrust. Voltage X Amps = Watts. Running two motors will make the voltage drop much more than one even though the amp draw is similar. The net result is only a bit more thrust on a heavier plane.

Now you have added the motor weight and increased thrust some, but the pitch speed drops because two big props are now turning slower than one would due to the V drop. Even if they could turn at the same rpm as one might, there is no increase in speed.

A larger or parallel pack can compensate for the V loss, but now the plane is heavier. Net gain, much more thrust but the top speed same or lower than before starting. Great for hauling a load but more throttle will be needed to keep it airborne. Two props at the same rpm as one prop (same size) will pull a plane about the same speed, but it will climb faster with the increased thrust.

A better idea is to gear them down for adequate thrust, but gain pitch speed. Even so, this requires a larger pack, which leads to reinforcing and added weight. Controller, packs, LG etc.

Since VxA=W, increasing the cell count increases power too, yet you need only add the weight of 3 cells. Actually 4oz to include a 400. 10 cells will fry the 350's, but I would be more inclined to use a pair of them on the SS instead of 400's.

Increasing the V means the rpm goes up too (Kv= rpm/volt), so Kv x V is the motor's rpm. / this by gearing to determine prop rpm and you will see why one motor on 10 cells is faster than two on 7.

The major point is increased efficiency, which tranlsates to more power at the prop, and less heat at the motor. At the higher voltage, more energy is used at the prop rather than converted to heat in the motor. What may seem to be a small increase in effiency can be huge when airborne, and this is the gain from higher voltage. The wattage once wasted as heat can now be used for power.

One easy way to look at it: Amps create heat, volts do not. However, increasing the voltage will also increase the amps unless the motor is propped smaller, or geared higher. The drawback here is the rpm limit of the motor. I don't know this limit, but I've heard 30,000. I have used a 400 at 27,000 rpm and 10 amps without a problem.
Old May 03, 2005, 02:25 PM
Just "PLANE" crazy
Chennai, India
Joined Dec 2003
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRCJon
Hey Guys, I just ordered a GWS Slow Stick from Tower Hobbies a few days ago (It should be here soon! ). And I have some gear from a micro heli that didn't work out for me . I wanted to see if you guys could tell me (just from looking) if I could put this gear in a Slow Stick. It has every thing I Need (I think) RX With Two Servo Plugs and a motor plug, Two Servos, Battery... Any thing else? I'll eventually save for some better gear, but for the time being this is all that I have. If you think that this won't work, I guess I better get saving my pennies! Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Oh Yeah! My Heli I bought off of ebay for $99... not exactly name brand stuff here But still it's all in good working order.

P.S. Your forum has got me hook on Slow Stick... And I Don't even have one yet!!!

I dont think I am rite but for 99$ most likely you would have got a AM 27mhz tx and rx.. the servos you cld use on the SS.

IMO get a new radio,rx,ESC,batteries, charger and kep the servos-That is ifu dont allready have ne of them..

Am i making ane sence??-time to go to sleep..
Spy king is offline Find More Posts by Spy king
Old May 03, 2005, 06:14 PM
Baltimore
Joined May 2005
20 Posts
Well, I just took the RX and the servos out of the heli and I have some better pics now. I do have a TX and a Battery but no ESC, is that necessary to fly or is that just a safety add on? I know it cuts the motor and gives you control of just the rudder and elevator, but is it needed to fly? Thanks for answering my question. Sorry if these are stupid questions I'm completely new the the hobby. By the way on the battery it says: Fullymax FB4K09 Ni-MH 44AAA 650mAh P 8.4v

Jonathan
SkyRCJon is offline Find More Posts by SkyRCJon
Last edited by SkyRCJon; May 03, 2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old May 04, 2005, 08:16 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,859 Posts
The receiver must have a built in ESC to operate the motors on the heli, or does the main motor run at a constant rpm? Either way, it is important to know how many amps are getting to the motor. If it is under 8 a Pico Stick might be a better option. The pack is better suited for this plane too.

I'm not familiar with heli radio setups. A typical 3 channel plane has the throttle on the left stick, and both servos are controlled by the right stick. Sometimes the elevator is on the right, with throttle and rudder on the left. The elevator must be controlled by pushing/pulling the right stick and the rudder by moving either side to side to avoid confusion in the future. I prefer the first, but that is a matter of opinion.

Another consideration is range. It's unlikely that was a concern on this craft, but an SS may find the limit.

One option would be to sell/trade here for a suitable flight pack or plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forum...aysprune=&f=44
Old May 04, 2005, 08:25 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
Ron H +++ thanks for the info / class / education (post # 11)... well so much for some of my crazy ideas.. Guess I'll just go back to the original power set up..

But your post # 11 has taught me a WHOLE lot..

thanks Jack