Old May 02, 2005, 09:52 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
New Walkera 4 Dragonfly owner!

Hi everyone!
I'm a new walkera 4 owner!
I've bought an used machine to start with.
But this guy is giving me a hard time, setting it up. So, i ask, if anyone has a link where i might get some pics about setting it up. Because i've been reading tuts and trying, but this guy can't flight straight. Some terms are hard for me to understand, because they are in english.

Btw, in one of the blades it had a white stripe of paper, i take it out! :S ahhh did it was there for any purpose! I've seen them in some pics, and i started to wonder. lol

Thank you all!
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Last edited by IceWind; May 02, 2005 at 07:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2005, 10:15 AM
Linux addict
S. Jersey, US, the 51 state
Joined Oct 2004
289 Posts
yes the white tape is there for the adjustment of blade tracking so you can tell the blades apart.
Ekim is offline Find More Posts by Ekim
Old May 02, 2005, 11:59 AM
Trex450/500/600E(vBar)
Melbourne (east burbs), AUSTRALIA
Joined Mar 2005
894 Posts
There's a 10 page thread for you to read all about it here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355881
rotarypower3 is offline Find More Posts by rotarypower3
Old May 02, 2005, 12:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
ohohhh!
Are the blades different?

Poor W#4 it will suffer in my hands...
Old May 02, 2005, 07:09 PM
Raptor 50 + TRex 450
Norwich UK
Joined Mar 2005
519 Posts
IceWind,

You'll be fine. Everyone has to start somewhere. If you get stuck just ask. Nobody will laugh if you ask silly questions or if your English is not to good. As I said we were all new to helis at some point and had to learn how, why and what.

Take your time and be patient. Too many people expect to fly straight away and give up when they find this isn't so.

Good luck and keep at it

Jon
mazakari is offline Find More Posts by mazakari
Old May 02, 2005, 07:48 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
Thanks.

Te first thing 'll do it to get some rubber washers to put hold the blades in place. I think mine are too loose. Even if turn hard the screws that hold them.

A question, what is the purpose of those weights, i think they are weights in the
flybar shaft?
An in W#4 where should they be located inside or outside?
Old May 03, 2005, 02:01 AM
Ski
No crashin, No Learnin!
UK
Joined Feb 2005
67 Posts
Icewind,

congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure once you have binded with your heli you will be addicted like the rest of us.
Start with the flybar weights on the end of the flybar next to the paddles. This makes it a bit more stable and a bit less skitish for a total beginner. As you get better at hovering etc they can be moved it towards the rotor head to speed up control response.
Thats how I did it anyway.

Good luck with your learning curve.

W
Ski is offline Find More Posts by Ski
Old May 03, 2005, 02:46 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,583 Posts
First off, Get a training gear, you will only use it for about the first 7-10 packs, but it is VERY helpful for a beginner... basically it will keep you from tipping it over when you take off and land.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is, BE PATIENT and keep trying, it may seem like you will never get any better but you will. The first few battery packs I ran through mine went like this "Throttle up, take off for about 5-10 seconds as it flies off to the side, throttle down, walk over and pick it back up and put it in the center, repeat. Now, just a few weeks later flying 1 or 2 times a day, I can hover for over a minute! (im so proud of myself) since I am a total heli newbie and have no one nearby to help me....

If you notice it continually flies in one direction every time you take off, for example it heads forward or left, give it a click of trim in the opposite direction, before you know it you will have it perfectly trimmed and its MUCH easier to fly...

Remember to steer the nose, not the tail! it might seem easier at first to fly watching the tail, but you will regret it later as you progress and have to unlearn this habit!

I'm assuming since you got it used that the flybar and rotors were balanced and it doesn't vibrate? One thing that helped me a LOT in stability was cutting off about a half inch from the tip of each main rotor, just tape the blades together and cut it with scissors...

If you don't have one already, get a direct drive tail, it will cost $15 (GWS cn12-XRC motor is $10 plus $5 for the prop adapter and prop, and spare props are only $1 but I have yet to break one) but you will save money in the long run not having to continually but tail rotors and motors at $5 a pop... Buy at most 1 extra set of main rotors, I have Yet to break one and have hit the couch, desk, tv, door, ceiling, and myself numerous times (ok, only myself once) got my tail motor at www.allerc.com

Also, how you hold the transmitter is actually pretty important, I tried using my thumbs on the tips of the sticks to control it, but it wasn't precise enough, I now hold the sticks with my thumb and index finger and fly MUCH better, give it a try

this might help Help for the New Dragonfly Owner
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur