SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2005, 02:47 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Build Log
Longshot Build Thread

There was a little interest in a build thread on the Longshot, http://www.hobbyclub.com/HC-LongShot.htm, so I'm going to take a whack at one. Here's the first pic showing the kit contents plus the flight gear, two dymond 60 servos, FMA receiver, and RX battery. Further pics to follow as things develop.
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2005, 03:01 PM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Nice. What's the projected AUW? What other servos are you using besides D60s?
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old May 01, 2005, 05:24 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Ok, I actually made a tiny bit of progress. This shows the hole for the aileron servos cut into the top of the fuse. I used a dremel.

The next shot is of a hole I drilled for the ends of the slots that are cut in the boom for the vertical stab. The instructions called for square corners here, but I was concerned about high stress concentrations.

Next is the completed slot. Scary stuff for a first timer, cutting into that boom.

The next is of the servo tray with two hitec 55's.

Finally, a shot of the tray in the fuse. No mention is made in the instructions to be sure that you can get the battery into the front with the tray in place. I almost had it glued in before I checked and moved it back a bit.
Old May 01, 2005, 05:30 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
AUW is listed at 10 oz on the website. I don't have a scale, so I have no idea how close I am at this moment.

Final pic for the day is the canopy. Wire is used for a latch, and is epoxied in place with CF cloth.

I'm soon going to need some help with details for push rods and housings for the R/E. I hear .015 dia music wire and a teflon sheath. What's the preferred connection from the wire to the servo arm?
Old May 01, 2005, 05:39 PM
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K
I'm soon going to need some help with details for push rods and housings for the R/E. I hear .015 dia music wire and a teflon sheath.
This size pushrod needs to be fully supported everywhere, so put the pushrods outside the boom. If the housings are plain teflon, then light tape works OK. For etched (bondable) teflon, CA works extremely well.
markdrela is online now Find More Posts by markdrela
Old May 01, 2005, 06:38 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Mark,

Thanks. I need to find a source for the teflon here soon, and I'll have to figure out where the pushrods should exit the fuse.
Old May 01, 2005, 06:51 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,728 Posts
Tim: Thank you very much for the build thread. Iam also planning on purchasing a Long Shot so this helps alot. Today in Tucson,Az. there was a hlg contest and saw a long shot. the plane used a pull-pull set up for R/E. Go to www.tailboom.com to find a source for teflon and .o18 wire. Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 01, 2005, 08:29 PM
Boomer
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
159 Posts
Tim,

If it turns out to be useful, I put 4 - 350 maH NiMH in the canopy along with a jack switch. Leaves lots of room for receiver and altimeter in front of the servos. Wiring is all nicely compact in the canopy and removes completely from the plane easily for access.

Still needed very little nose weight (AUW 11 oz.) in spite of moving the battery weight aft.

You will have to clear (packing) tape the canopy to take the launch but with a switch jack it never needs to be opened.

I use an altimeter and brought the data port out to the canopy also.

Alternately, you could put the altimeter in the canopy.

Lots of fun design things to do in DLGs.

Boomer
bomeara is offline Find More Posts by bomeara
Old May 01, 2005, 09:48 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Tailboom seems to be out of stock on the teflon tubing, or at least that's what the website says. Any other sources for this stuff?
Old May 01, 2005, 11:47 PM
Boomer
San Diego
Joined Dec 2003
159 Posts
Call him. He was out of #22 on the web-site but had #23.
bomeara is offline Find More Posts by bomeara
Old May 02, 2005, 02:16 AM
Don Copley
Aubrey (Dallas), Texas
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Keep going Tim Looks good so far. I am looking into this airplane myself!
Don
Gvflyer is offline Find More Posts by Gvflyer
Old May 02, 2005, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2004
30 Posts
I am building one right now.

Just want to point out that the boom dosen't come in the correct length. you have to cut it down to 640mm. I saw the note on the plans just after putting the fin and stab on... :/ frustrating..
HenrikJohansson is offline Find More Posts by HenrikJohansson
Old May 02, 2005, 10:10 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Henrick,

I'm going to go look at the boom as soon as I'm done here. Very frustrating.

Anyhow, didn't get much done today (all day spend building a kitchen island for a customer) but I did get the wings glued together. Here's a pic.

Will check into the tubing Bomeara, thanks.
Old May 02, 2005, 10:29 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
"Frustrating" was a good word when I was just worried that the boom was too long and that I had wasted the 45-60 minutes slotting the end. "Pissed" is a much better word now that I have confirmed that the boom is too long and that I wasted 45-60 minutes slotting the end because no mention of this fact is made in the instructions!

Scathing e-mail to the manufacturer is on it's way.

Big thanks to Henrick for not letting me get any farther in the construction process. I might never have noticed the problem without your pointing it out. Thanks again.
Old May 03, 2005, 12:55 AM
Joined Sep 2004
30 Posts
No problem. While Iím at it I can let you know that the recommended method of putting the carbon reinforcements on is not very good. The tape didnít release from the cured epoxy at all. I had to scrape it of with a razorblade and then wipe of the adhesive with methanol.
HenrikJohansson is offline Find More Posts by HenrikJohansson