Delusional Wanna-Be
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Alert
Spad/SLUF/Scooter Scrambler: A MiG 17F “Fresco C”

MiG 17F

(NATO code name "Fresco")

This superb dogfighter of the 1950's, 60's, and 70's began as an intensive effort to improve the famous MiG 15 without the benefit of upgrading to a better engine. The MiG 17 introduced a thinner airfoil section, a new wing planform with greater sweep, (and it changed mid-span, too), new wing fences, and a lengthened fuselage.

Almost from the get-go, the MiG 17 was a phenomenal success. A dream to fly, the airplane proved a fearsome adversary, mixing it up with the very best aircraft that NATO countries could produce. Pilots much preferred the MiG 17 to the follow-on MiG 21, and decades later we see the MiG 17 as a favorite go-buggy among today's civilian pilots flying restored military jets at airshows.

A PSS Scrambler

Interestingly, the MiG 17 is seldom attempted by modelers, while the earlier MiG 15 is hugely popular. We decided to build our model to 1/12th (one foot equals one inch) scale , figuring that our buddy Jan's Skyraider is close to that scale. The big 'ol Spad shall thus provide a neat size comparison upstairs with the rather more petite (but lethal, Jan ) MiG 17.

Our MiG's wing and horizontal tail areas will be only just slightly enlarged, while maintaining scale wing sweep, scale anhedral (3 degrees IIRC), and yes we'll definitely want those groovy wing fences.

We would plan to go with a zero-zero degree wing/stab incidence setup, but heck we may need a degree or two of positive incidence for the wing? The 1:1 scale MiG 17 had one degree positive for the wing.

We’ll go with the S3021 airfoil (a proven section for swept-wing PSSers), adding two degrees of washout in the wingtips to ease back the tip-stall, and flight control via ailerons and elevators, and possibly flaperons. Of course we’ll need a fully operating afterburner, a complete air-to-air weapons suite, and most important of all, a 100% scale operating pilot relief tube.

Construction: Fuselage and wings will have a core of el cheapo pink building insulation foam, reinforced with balsa, thin ply and hardwood at stress areas, covered and finished via el cheapo brown packaging paper or leftover model airplane silkspan we still have from the 1960s, all attached and finished with thinned white glue or Minwax Polycrylic.

Last edited by John Rood; Mar 26, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2005, 09:28 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Planning !!!
John Rood is offline Find More Posts by John Rood
Last edited by John Rood; May 01, 2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 09:38 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Cross-sections...
Last edited by John Rood; Mar 26, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 01, 2005, 12:39 AM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rood
So, on this eve of May Day 2005, the People now say: Let the games begin!!! Construction of a MiG 17F (NATO imperialist code name “Fabulous Fresco”) fighter-interceptor shall now commence !!! And let's get this baby flying, ASAP !!!
I was in the shop a few nights ago and an old HOB F-86 glass fuselage fell on my head. I'd forgotten about it. I was thinking EDF, but this might make me reconsider.

Nauga,
beak to beak at the merge
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old May 01, 2005, 07:57 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Last edited by John Rood; Mar 26, 2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 01, 2005, 08:06 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauga
I was in the shop a few nights ago and an old HOB F-86 glass fuselage fell on my head. I'd forgotten about it. I was thinking EDF, but this might make me reconsider.

Nauga,
beak to beak at the merge
Go ahead, dredge up old Korean war-era junk. Nothing shall stop THE REVOLUTION.

Die Yanqui Scum !
Old May 01, 2005, 11:52 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Go ahead, dredge up old Korean war-era junk. Nothing shall stop THE REVOLUTION.

Die Yanqui Scum !
One of the great ironies is that Red Dawn was just on TV yesterday.

So Nicaragua invades the US? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Gotta love 80s anticommunist propaganda!

Steve,
Whose P-39 Airacobra shall return to re-enact the Great Patriotic War against fascism at this year's PSS Fest
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
Old May 01, 2005, 08:17 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Wing & Tail Planforms, and Preparing Fuselage Patterns

Fuselage cross sections are marked as to where they belong and what side is "up". Later on they will each be cut in half, top to bottom, so for now each "half" is labelled ahead of time. Section nomenclature is Cyrillic, straight from the drawings wich are of Russian origin.

The wing and horizontal tail surfaces will be enlarged a bit for airworthiness' sake; here is the scale wing planform, plus a 25% enlargement of the horizontal tail. The scale tail size can be seen inside it, highlighted in yellow.

The fuselage profile and all the cross sections will be laminated with the dense 1/64th cardboard, using 3M "Super 77" contact cement out of the aerosol can.
Last edited by John Rood; May 07, 2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old May 01, 2005, 08:37 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Cutting out the fuselage profile:

When tiny drawings are enlarged on copiers we get a fairly THICK and grubby outline of what was once a delicate line drawn by the artist. So we have to decide how much of that outline to incorporate, and how much to toss.
Last edited by John Rood; Mar 26, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old May 01, 2005, 08:49 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
A bit more fussing, and our obsession with the fuselage pattern has become full-blown!

Look how much stuff came off! And the scale judges at Cajon will be need to be bribed $$$ into believing that our MiG's outline is ABSOLUTELY accurate down to the millimeter.
Last edited by John Rood; May 06, 2005 at 07:34 AM.
Old May 01, 2005, 08:57 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Now we've quickly traced the fuselage outline to the foam with a thick black marker. With that we can cut the foam to a workable size, attach the profile to the foam with the 77 adhesive and slap those cross-sections in place.

All this yapping just so we can shape that foam block into a MiG.
Last edited by John Rood; May 06, 2005 at 07:47 AM.
Old May 01, 2005, 09:01 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,683 Posts
That's an ambitous project John, but it looks like you are off to a great start! I will look forward to seeing more posts as this project progresses.
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old May 01, 2005, 09:03 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
...Whose P-39 Airacobra shall return to re-enact the Great Patriotic War against fascism at this year's PSS Fest
Steve, I saw some pics from last year's Fest of your Airacobra. She's a beauty!!!

You should bring it out to Boston sometime this coming winter, so that squeaky clean white Soviet winter distemper camo scheme can be put to some use for once!

Speaking of white stuff...hmm...I believe this vintage model box art is from a photo taken at a Spring slope fun-fly and BBQ here in Massachusetts:
Last edited by John Rood; May 01, 2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 01, 2005, 11:43 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Here's my deluxe hot-wire set for cutting foam. Just a guitar string, alligator clips, C-clamp, and a model train transformer from many moons ago.......

Last edited by John Rood; May 06, 2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old May 01, 2005, 11:49 PM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Here's my deluxe hot-wire set for cutting foam.
Catgut?

Nauga,
here kittykittykitty
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga