SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:12 PM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
Logo 20 Performance - NiMHs vs LiPos

Well, the weather here is lousy so I'm sittin' here watchin' TV as I cycle my two new TP6000-4s3p packs. So, since I can't fly, I'm trying to imagine the difference in performance between 24 HR2600 NiMHs and these LiPos.

What should I expect? Will it be a bit more powerful or will I be blown away? The motor is a Tango 45-08 and I've switched to an 11T pinion with the 140T gear.

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:35 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
more power and lighter weight will make significant improvement in responses. you will love it...
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:39 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Please let us know what you think!! That will be my next move with the Logo . I think you'll be blown away. I already have a 4S3P, just need to get one more.

But the true 3D setup would be a 10S2P.

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:42 PM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
Hey Chachin.

I was hoping you would say it would be exactly like a Fury Ion.

Hehehe.

Rob
Old Apr 30, 2005, 09:00 PM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Hey Rob, today at the Bithlo FUNFLY we had plenty of Fury Ion's These are definitely top notch machines... I don't know if the L20 could get to be a smooth as the Ion, but it should get pretty darn close . The reason I want to upgrade the batteries is because I rarely fly my other helis now.

Hopefully for the next event (St. Petersburg, FL) I should have my L20 LiPolized I can't wait to hear your report!

Chachin..
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old May 01, 2005, 06:25 AM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachin
The reason I want to upgrade the batteries is because I rarely fly my other helis now.
Yup. LiPos spoil ya. I "lipoized" a Logo 10 and was pretty impressed. I prefer the flight characteristics of the 20 though. The Logo 10 3D at 2krpm is fun but seems a bit unsteady and unpredictable in comparison. Maybe the new LLS head is better.

Anywho, I'm hoping the 20 will now significantly exceed the 10 in performance.

Rob
Old May 08, 2005, 06:28 PM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
I flew the "LiPoized" Logo 20 for the first time today. I spent the first hour-and-a-half just trimming it (I changed to the new head, changed the gearing and changed some tail rotor parts). On the second charge, I flew it around but tried to be gentle. I flew it for 13 minutes and there was about 1500mAh useable capacity left.

I haven't flown this heli since last year so the difference between the LiPos and the round cells wasn't all that obvioius. It did tach it at about 100 more RPM on the head (close to 1850) which was expected. The head speed seemed very low to me. I think this is because I've been flying the Logo 10 at over 2krpm and this spoils you. I didn't notice the lighter weight that much but it does seem to hold RPM better with collective changes. Even with HR-2600s hot off the charger I seem to recall the RPM would drop a lot more under load than it does now.

I also thought that with the longer flybar, longer linkages and KSJ paddles the cyclic response would be quicker than it was. This heli sure flies smooth though. The Logo 10 is almost frantic in comparison. Mind you it also has faster digital servos...

Anywho, it is an improvement for sure but so far not a "night-and-day" difference. Perhaps I am being unfair - the batteries aren't broken in and I haven't tried any flippy things. I wish I could have tried before and after without six months inbetween! I suppose I could also go up a tooth on the pinion to get more head speed but more flying skill is probably most needed.

Rob
Old May 09, 2005, 02:33 AM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
444 Posts
Interesting... When I switched over about a year ago Lipos made the helicopter seem like a whole new machine. My setup is the same as yours except the head and gearing are the old version and my headspeed is about 100 rpm more.

So you are going back and forth between Lipos and round cells and don't see a huge difference? For me, with round cells everything happens in slow motion with the lower headspeed and extra weight. That's only a good thing when it's windy. The heli is definitely more agile with the Lipos and I get ~15 minutes of fairly consistent power instead of ~4 "good" minutes and ~2 "losing power" minutes.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old May 09, 2005, 05:55 AM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehx
So you are going back and forth between Lipos and round cells and don't see a huge difference? For me, with round cells everything happens in slow motion with the lower headspeed and extra weight. That's only a good thing when it's windy. The heli is definitely more agile with the Lipos and I get ~15 minutes of fairly consistent power instead of ~4 "good" minutes and ~2 "losing power" minutes.
I hear ya! But no. I'm not going back and forth. As I mentioned, I haven't flown the heli at all for six months between the round cells and the LiPos. It's the darn weather thing up here! So my comparison to the round cells from both the scientific and subjective perspectives is very poor. All I can say for sure is that it didn't seem as good relative to the Logo 10 as I was expecting.

The Logo 10 has head speed up the wazoo and I've gotten used to it. It must be the relatively low head speed in the 20 that makes it seem sluggish. Maybe I should try a 12T pinion so the max speed is closer to 2000 RPM. It should be good for it - KC's Spreadsheet predicts it still won't bog as nearly as much as it did on the round cells...

Rob
Old May 09, 2005, 09:34 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I can't even imagine having to haul around 24 cell NiHM, man what a boat anchor.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old May 09, 2005, 10:11 AM