HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2001, 02:27 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
need some help finishing my mini ifo.

Hi guys, well my mini ifo arrived in Aus today and 3 hours later the frame construction was complete. At this stage I will be using the gws setup, so my querie is...

what is the best way to mount the gws motor onto the frame. Also any other tips would be great.

Many thanks

Jeremy..
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2001, 11:36 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I put the motor on sideways then used a zip tie to keep it put.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old May 28, 2001, 03:38 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,046 Posts
I cyano a piece of 1/64 ply on the top of the frame in the motor location, followed by 3/32 balsa either side of the fuselage rod, followed by another piece of 1/64 ply, so that you have a platform sandwiching the rod.
I then cyano a rectangle of 3/32 balsa to the top of the GWS gearbox frame, followed by a rectangle of 1/64 ply. I soak the faces of the motor and fuselage platform ply in cyano to seal and stick the motor platform to the fuselage platform with servo tape. The latter gives slight shock absorbence which helps to keep the motor on if you hit the floor, wall or another Mini IFO!

I used to cyano the gearbox frame direct to a piece of 3/32 stuck to the airframe, but in every collision it used to come off. I now very rarely lose the motor.

We fly 6 Mini IFO's at a time in a 2/3 basket ball court and collisions are common. In two months, I have burnt out one motor, destroyed 3 gearbox frames, one prop shaft, 3 props and one plastic gear, so I should keep some spares

Mike Smart
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old May 28, 2001, 06:24 PM
TTT
Toowoomba Qld Aust
Joined Jan 2001
74 Posts
HI Jeremy

how much did your kit cost including shipping?
What electronics are you using? and especially what flight pack?

I am wanting to go down same path if Mr Hadkins would answer his email so I could buy some carbon rod.
If anyone know of any one else who deals in C/F rod in Oz please let me know....
I know of one other dealer in Melbourne(Knut Newman) but he is 50% more expensive than the WES bits from Wayne

Where are you getting your GWS gear from and what is it costing you?

Terry
TTT is offline Find More Posts by TTT
Old May 28, 2001, 06:49 PM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
Thanks for the replies Guys.

Jim,

I've done a similar thing to what you have done, see how it works.

Mike,
I like your idea,do you have a photo you could post or email me, it sounds the most efficient way to do it.

Terry,
Checkl your email.

Thanks for all your input.

Jeremy..
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D