SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2005, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
Mountain Models Miniflash: Build question

I just received my Miniflash kit today and I started building the fuse. This thing is so easy to build I feel like I must be cheating or something! It's like working with legos

Anyway, I have a question about the build and I'm hoping somebody out there who has done the model can answer a question.

I'm confused about the "motor mount stick" in the instructions. They have you create a sort of a square tube from 4 interlocking pieces of plywood, and the instructions seem to indicate that this built up piece is the "motor mount stick" but there is a photo of the model that seems to show a solid balsa stick where the motor mount stick would go. My guess is that the solid balsa is from an earlier revision of the plane or something and that the new built-up piece is the new motor mount, but I want to be completely sure on this point before I glue.

Is the built up plywood piece the "motor mount stick" that gets glued into the motor mount plywood cross-pieces?

I guess I can always call MM on Monday but I was hoping to make some more progress this weekend.

MikeTwain is offline Find More Posts by MikeTwain
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2005, 05:11 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,549 Posts
MIke

You are correct, the motor mount stick is built up from the four pieces of ply.

You can also use a solid stick which a lot of guys do. I am assuming that the photo in the manual shows a solid stick that Doug changed to the built up piece later on. You can drop him a note to comfirm this.

Hows the build going on? Almost like dropping a bottle of glue into the kit box, shaking it around and out pops a plane!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vedi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation Brian!

You're right about the kit...ther is a HUGE difference between this build and the Guillows Stearman that I just "finished" (ie stopped working on once it was assembled, covered, and painted).

The laser-cutting alone makes a gigantic difference and the design of the kit is really elegant.

Fun build! And to think I almost gave up on balsa after that Stearman!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 07:30 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Do make sure after you build the plywood motor mount stick that you test fit your motor/gearbox onto the stick and do any needed sanding before mounting the stick to make sure your motor/gearbox will fit nice and snug but not so tight that you can't push it on.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Apr 30, 2005, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
Do make sure after you build the plywood motor mount stick that you test fit your motor/gearbox onto the stick and do any needed sanding before mounting the stick to make sure your motor/gearbox will fit nice and snug but not so tight that you can't push it on.

Jim

Too late.

I did have to sand it quite a bit to get it to fit in the motor mount holes though, so hopefully I'll be ok.

I also have another quesiton. The MM site says that the required battery is a KAN 650 or 1050 "4 over 4" configuration pack. What does this mean? I was not able to find this terminology anywhere...although maybe my Google-fu is failing me today.

There seem to be a few configurations that might match this:

Code:
== == == ==
== == == ==
4 batteries lengthwise in two rows (CheapBatteryPacks calls this a "double stick")

Code:
 / / / /
o o o o
o o o o
4 batteries side by side in two rows (CheapBatteryPacks calls this a "brick")

Code:
  / /
 / //
o o/ 
o o
4 batteries lengthwise in two columns (CheapBatteryPacks calls this a "2x2")

Also, I can't seem to find any mention of the weight of the receiver. I was going to go with a HiTec Feather (seems Balsaproducts is still selling a few) but is it ok to go with a larger size?
Old May 01, 2005, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,337 Posts
Hey now,
When my first one was new I used an eight cell "stick" pack, two rows of four soldered end to end. Since then I switched to a 3s thunder power 2100 pack, Lighter, more power, longer flight times. I think they mean two rows of four, soldered end to end, that would work anyway...
As to the feather reciever? No way would I use one of those in this model!
You will fly it high and far, it loves high and far and the seven grams you save over a caseless 555 isn't worth the pain of such a limited reciever.
Hope this helps...
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old May 01, 2005, 10:20 AM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Mike,
Yes, the motor mount is plywood. I'll check the manual to see if the picture is wrong, thanks for bringing it to my attention. The KAN 650 works fine in the MiniFlash... depending on what motor you use. Contact me if I can be of any further help.
Matthew
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old May 01, 2005, 08:58 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
737 Posts
elfwreck,

I have the same combo as you in my Mini. Your right about the feather receiver being a no-no on this plane . The 555 or a Berg would be a better choice, the Feather is more of a test stand receiver in my shop,would not trust it in a plane. The little Himax 2015-4100 and the T.P.2100 fit real nice in this bird and gives plenty of giddy-up and long flight times.
Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old May 02, 2005, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,337 Posts
Hey now,
I'm running a Himax 2025-4200, GWS "C" gear set, and a 10-7 APC slow flight prop. Unlimited vertical, and with the oversized ailerons (see avatar) I get ten rolls a second on high rates Too much fun, two and a half years with the Mini Flash and I still can't wipe the grin off my face
RobII
Old May 02, 2005, 01:01 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
737 Posts
Mike Twain

Don't forget to use a screw to lock your gear box /motor to the motor mount,there's a hole in the bottom of the fuselage for this.I forgot to do this and paid the price,ouch! A small block of wood slid into the area where the screw enters the motor stick/box gives the screw some added bite. What motor and esc are you going to use in your Mini ?

Mike 1484
Old May 02, 2005, 01:17 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
737 Posts
elfwreck

2025-4200 ? Sounds dangerous ,I'll have to try that!! Maybe I better order up another Mini first just in case ,don"t want to be with out a Mini !! I thought those ailerons looked a little big, just how much big are they? What gear box are you using?

Mike 1484
Old May 02, 2005, 06:59 PM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484
Don't forget to use a screw to lock your gear box /motor to the motor mount,there's a hole in the bottom of the fuselage for this.I forgot to do this and paid the price,ouch! A small block of wood slid into the area where the screw enters the motor stick/box gives the screw some added bite. What motor and esc are you going to use in your Mini ?
Thanks for the tip about the screw.

I ordered a GWS EPS 300C-D (The recommended brushed motor.)

I don't think I've ordered an ESC yet...but I can't remember. Maybe a GWS 15A one?
Old May 03, 2005, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2002
2,337 Posts
[QUOTE=Mike1484]elfwreck

2025-4200 ? Sounds dangerous ,I'll have to try that!!

Hey now,
Dangerous? Naw, just too much power (and too much of everything is just enough)

Maybe I better order up another Mini first just in case ,don"t want to be with out a Mini !!

I always keep a spare kit in the wings, thatt way I'm not without for more than a week or two, gottaa feed that jones...

I thought those ailerons looked a little big, just how much big are they? What gear box are you using?

They're about half again as big as stock, they give me *great* roll authority. The gear box is a stock GWS "C" drive (5:33-1), I've broken a couple of them over the years but they work pretty well and last almost as long as the airframe
RobII
Old May 03, 2005, 11:41 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Just to reiterate ... Don't go with a feather Rx . Use the 555, E6, or a Berg (just about any Rx but the feather ) .

Also the 'brick' or offset brick works really well . I think you got the brink defined wrong above . Should be four (side by side) over four (side by side) .

/-/-/-/
XXXX-/
.XXXX
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old May 03, 2005, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the receiver...I ended up ordering the Hitec HFS-05mg which seems a bit more sturdy than the feather and has a longer range. To be honest I never fly any plane very far away (I don't have very large areas close to me to fly in) so this seemed like a good compromise.

As for the battery configuration...I think you were reading the description above each code block rather than the one below.