HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2005, 01:07 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined Oct 2003
234 Posts
Cessna 165 Airmaster by Wattage- Good or Bad?

Well I did a dumb thing and ordered a Cessna 165 without seeking the advice from members of this list. So now that it is on the way I am terrified. Please tell me if I have not gone over the edge from whence no mortal hobby pilot returns. All comments, consolation or condolences requested and appreciated.
Slotmachine is offline Find More Posts by Slotmachine
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2005, 06:00 PM
"No" means "Know"!
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
567 Posts
Not too bad, looks great in the air

I bought this plane from Hobby People for $29 on sale a couple weeks ago. Built it with a NESail WOW brushless and 4.4 gearbox, Jeti 18A ESC, 1000mA 3 cell Lipo. AUW about 16 oz.

I tried a 7X4.5 SF (Wattage), 9X7(?) SF-GWS and 10x6 EP-GWS. Both 7x4.5 SF and 10x6 EP will fly the plane at a pretty good clip. The 9x7 pulls too much current and exhausts the battery in seconds. I like the thrust with the 10x6. This plane stalls and spins if you don't keep the speed up. In two cases, I was able to recover just a few feet from the ground. The landing gear is pretty useless for me- I fly in a grass field, and the small wheels cause this plane to nose over on every landing. I flipped the wheel covers upside down to act as skids, and this helped a tiny bit in very short grass, but removing the gear altogether was best. I broke TWO prop shafts and about 4 props before I kluged a prop-saver. The light plywood firewall broke (completely shattered!) in one nose-in, so I've replaced it with a fiberglassed balsa firewall. About the same weight, but much stronger.

While flying at lunch today, in the midst of a power drop, I flew it into a tree, ripping the wing from the fuselage. Absolutely not a scratch to the wing (pretty strong wing!)- but it ripped the wing attach tab from the rear bulkhead. It should be an easy fix. I actually taped the wing to the fuse and had one more flight before calling it a day. It flew fine with a little extra elevator trim.

The lipos I've been using are inadequate for this setup. It will fly the plane at 1/2-3/4 throttle for only a couple minutes before the voltage level drops, and the plane falls out of the sky. I will try a 2250mA (3-cell) with the 7x4.5 SF and then a 2000mA (2-Cell) with the 9x7 SF. This will add an ounce or two to the AUW, but I should be able to sustain higher throttle settings for longer runs.

I think I'm going to like this plane, once I get the power system worked out. I'm a terrible pilot, and I abuse all of my planes, but so far, this $29 cutie is holding up pretty well.
an85yalie is offline Find More Posts by an85yalie
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2005, 04:58 PM
Springfield, OH
Joined Oct 2003
234 Posts
Sounds like you are having better success than I am. I was flying a BP21 Direct with an 8 x 4 and 9 x 7 on 2 lipo cells and could not keep it from stalling. Your are right it is a tough little bird. I may go with a geared brushless 4100kv geared 5.5to 1 and 3 cells to see if that will work.
Slotmachine is offline Find More Posts by Slotmachine
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:23 PM
"No" means "Know"!
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
567 Posts
Yeah, the plywood firewall and bulkhead former is pretty fragile, but the wing and fuselage are robust. The Cessna likes to fly pretty fast, and it looks sweet in the air. Post again when you try out your power system change.
an85yalie is offline Find More Posts by an85yalie
RCG Plus Member