Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2005, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
Finished my full house cox cessna

Pics and report of the maiden:

The performance was everything I hoped for and more. It taxis out nice and smooth and when you open the throttle and release the brakes with about 15deg flaps it comes right off the ground in a very scale like manner. The flight envelope is amazing. With the flaps up and full throttle it tears around like a warbird. It has unlimited verticle and is capable of any aerobatics that I can perform. It will cruise and perform mild aerobatics at just above idle. About 5 deg flaps helps keep the speed down. Landings are just incredible. At a dead idle and about 20deg flaps it floats in and the roll out is very short with a touch of the brakes. It is amazing what a difference 20 years makes when you can have a full house 049 that flys like a nice 40 sized scale model with a 60 on it.

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/cox6.jpg

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/cox7.jpg
Subarubrat is offline Find More Posts by Subarubrat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2005, 12:16 AM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out so well. Is that an older Norvel in it?
Bipe Flier is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Flier
Old May 02, 2005, 01:10 AM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
I bought it new from the LHS just a few weeks ago, it is a fairly busy shop so I can't imagine it would be too old but who knows how long it was there. How would I tell a new one from an old one?
Old May 03, 2005, 04:58 PM
Mission, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
401 Posts
You can tell by the cylinder. If it is chrome, then it is an older ABC; if it is grey, then it is a newer Revlite
Bipe Flier is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Flier
Old May 03, 2005, 09:26 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
Nice bird; is that the old Cox Cessna model from the late 1970's/early 1980's?
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old May 04, 2005, 03:56 AM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
It is the new revlite version, same as my Kamdax Mig and LMH110.

And yes, it is the one from the late 70's and early 80's. It was a great flying plane with the original 2ch and reed valve 049 but the newer gear really lets it's potential shine.
Old May 30, 2005, 07:54 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
Subarubrat, can you tell me/show me how you accomplished the conversion to ailerons and flaps? I have the same plane and would love to do the same thing but being these planes are hard to come by, I don't want to screw up the wing. Thanks for any help you can provide. George J.
flexjet101 is offline Find More Posts by flexjet101
Old Jun 02, 2005, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
Sure, I will snap some photos in the next day or two. In the mean time let me describe it to you. First I razor bladed out the flaps and ailerons and trimmed back about 1/8 on one edge so it would swing freely. In the flap area on the wing I just glued the remaining edges together. In the aileron area I used 1/4 stick balsa to fill in the gap. To drive the ailerons I put a GWS servo in each wing sunk in to the mounting holes. They drive a horn on each aileron and the wires are inside the wing. For the flaps I cut a channel and installed brass tube with wire in it just like an aileron linkage. The only difference is that I joined them together and have just one pushrod so that the servo moves them both togeher, I used an HS50 for this. My battery pack is a 350mah Nimh and is all the way in the front of the plane behind the firewall. The tank is right behind it and everything is as far forward as is reasonable. The plane balanced just right without any dead weight needed. The tank is a hayes, 2 or 2.5 oz or so. It will fly for like 20 min and does so at a near idle. The flaps are VERY functional and make the plane what it is. Landings and takeoffs are slow and solid with the feel of a much larger model. Even at low throttle with the flaps up it will absolutly tear around the sky with that norvel. I fly with about 5~10 deg flaps on and some down elev mixed in just to slow it down. Trust me, flaps are everything on this plane.
Old Jun 03, 2005, 10:04 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
Thanks Subarubrat for the info. It helps a lot and if you send me a couple of pictures when you have a chance, I'll be ready to go for it. Your plane really looks nice in the posted pics., specially with the flaps down. Can't wait to get mine done. George J.
Old Jun 05, 2005, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
I haven't forgotten, just been busy. I am at work till tommorow during the day.
Old Jun 06, 2005, 04:30 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
No problem. I'll be looking forward to it. Thanx,
George J
Old Jun 08, 2005, 02:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
Hope they help, I think my descriptions are better than my pictures.....

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/flaps.jpg

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/flaps1.jpg

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/flaps2.jpg
Old Jun 08, 2005, 03:38 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
Thanks a lot, these are perfect and very clear. I'll let you know how it turns out. George J.
Old Jun 08, 2005, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
98 Posts
Give yourself a solid half inch or maybe a bit more of travel. I use the side slider (pitch) trim on my heli radio as the control lever.

Have you flown it yet or are you building it now? What engine are you using? What servos and radio?
Old Jun 09, 2005, 05:54 PM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Jul 2004
42 Posts
I bought it in Ebay possibly about 6 months ago, in sort of sad shape in the area of the main landing gear, but because it's foam, I was able to fix it although it it has a couple of small scars, (no big deal). It came with the original radio (cox-Sanwa Cadet, 2 channel)., but that doesn't work. Since I have a few H-55 servos I'm not using, I thought I'd put them in the Cessna with a regular micro receiver and onboard battery. I like to put most of my planes on my Futaba fp-7uaf, that way I go to the field with 3 or 4 planes but only one transmitter. The engine on the plane is the original Cox .049 with muffler. Haven't decided on engine yet but I also have a Norvel throttled .061 on my Ace Cap 21, and it's a great little engine, so I will probably follow your suggestion and buy the .049 Norvel like the one you have. The wing and tail feathers are in excellent condition, the only thing is it didn't bring wing struts, and it appears that yours has struts. Did they come with your plane or did you add them on? Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
George J.